StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
I used a standard Honda Vista cruise.

Required fabrication of a tiny bracket to get it mounted solidly to the DL650. Works well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Throttlemeister won't work if you have factory handguards on a DL650. I used a NEP cruise control, had to attach it with Marine Goop.

Not many options if you have aftermarket heated grips and factory handguards, even if you want to spend some dough. I spent my time looking before using the goop.

-ted

·
0 Posts
The throttlemeister is a great unit...i became a dealer just to get them at wholesale for my buddies and I and everyone loves them. Are the 650 handguards like the bmw ones that attach at the bar end? I know mine works great on the 1000.

B

·
0 Posts
Although I have never owned a Throttlemeister I have used them for extended trips on other people's bikes.

I didn't like it. I had to hold the right bar with right hand and tighten with my left hand. It never seemed to hold very long before it let loose- abruptly.

I have found a cheap $25 Vistacruise throttle lock to work better for me.

·
0 Posts
yeah sometimes it takes a bit of tinkering with the supplied washers to get just the desired amount of pressure on the throttle for nice steady hold. The one thing i really like it the fact there really isn't anything to wear out, fail, etc.

H

·
0 Posts
I found an O-ring at Napa that fits on the inboard side on the throttle grip. It works great, but makes the resistance a bit much for around town. It cost me 39 cents. I take it off in the city.

M

·
0 Posts
Bobb_Todd said:
I have found a cheap $25 Vistacruise throttle lock to work better for me.
Which Vista-Cruise Cruise Control model worked for your DL650? They seem to offer various models. I know the diameter is 7/8 inch, but sorry for my ignorance... not sure about dual vs. single cable throttle. Looks like the Honda Vista Cruise needed modification to fit the Vstrom. (earlier post on this string.

B

·
0 Posts
I compared my throttle lock with a Vista cruise installed on a friend's bike. Now I am not even sure mine is a Vista Cruise.

His is about 1/2 inch wide with a metal band that helps hold the throttle in place. Mine is about 1/4 inch thick and all plastic. Mine might be a "universal" brand.

I think you want the dual throttle model but you always end up having to modify or brace the lock slightly.

In an effort to make the things "universal" it seems like they don't find any bike straight out of the box.

P

·
0 Posts
I had a Throttlemeister on my Kawi Concours. Didn't like the way it worked. I use a Caterpillar O-Ring on both of my current rides - it works fine, and cost about $3 apiece. Probably would not work on the DL650 though due to the handguard attachment. I can dig up the O-Ring part number if there is any interest.

M

·
0 Posts
Bobb_Todd said:
I used a standard Honda Vista cruise.
Required fabrication of a tiny bracket to get it mounted solidly to the DL650. Works well.
Thanks for the reply Bob. By fabrication of a bracket, was this something simple that a non tech person like myself could figure out how to make? Advice? I am getting hand cramps on my throttle hand, and really need a solution!

B

·
0 Posts
I didn't do mine because I am, for the most part, a technical incompetent but...

Most of the time the tab that is supposed to hold the cruise stable never fits exactly right.

The simple way to correct this is to drill a small hole in the tab and wire it to something on the throttle control [so it doesn't slip].

The fancy way to do it is have your mechanic fabricate 2 tiny brackets about the size of Chicklets and weld them together at an angle so it can fit an existing screw.

M

·
0 Posts
Too bad, sounds like a mechanic is going to be the only way to go with this unit. But from everything else I've read on this board, this is still the best option, barring the O-ring which sounds like it may or may not fit the 650?(and where to get it?) The Throttlemeister sounds like it may need two hands to operate it according to post. Plus it would'nt work if I ever want to get hand guards? Okay... I just need to buy a new wrist.

M

·
0 Posts
I dunno... I might meet that classification!
Sounds like you're right. I'm over complicating it. I like the Goop option. Not a whole lot of things in life that stuff can't fix up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

A

·
0 Posts
Bobb_Todd said:
I compared my throttle lock with a Vista cruise installed on a friend's bike. Now I am not even sure mine is a Vista Cruise.

His is about 1/2 inch wide with a metal band that helps hold the throttle in place. Mine is about 1/4 inch thick and all plastic. Mine might be a "universal" brand.

I think you want the dual throttle model but you always end up having to modify or brace the lock slightly.

In an effort to make the things "universal" it seems like they don't find any bike straight out of the box.
It sounds like the one on your friends bike is the "universal" model. I installed a Honda ( I think) model on mine and it came out real nice. It has a built in "L" bracket with a slot in it. It wraps around the lower side of the throttle cable housing. This is how I installed mine:

1 After aligning the throttle lock in a position that I liked I marked the position of the slot on the cable housing with a white marker.
2 Disassemble the cable housing.
3 Drill a hole for a #6x32 thread size (I used a smaller drill bit than what is required so the screw would be tight in the threads.
4 Tapped using a #6x32 starter tap. I only cut enough threads so a #6x32 screw would be tight in the threads.
5 Bought an aluminum spacer at Ace Hardware that is 1/4" long and 1/4" in diameter. It has a hole in it for a #6x32 screw. Also got a 3/8" long #6x32 stainless screw. Cost less than $3.
6 Installed this screw and spacer in the tapped hole with a little locktite to provide "stop" for throttle lock. The "stop" fits snuggly in the slot on the throttle lock to keep it from turning with the throttle.

I will post pictures when I get home tonight.

A

·
0 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the vista cruse and the "stop" I installed:

B

·
0 Posts
That pic is the same one I used so I guess mine is a Vista Cruise, just not a universal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts