StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a AUDIOVOX cruise control unit in my wee strom, following the the instructions posted by Roy Bertalotto.

I must say I am very pleased with the result. It went in fairly easy, in about 3-4 hours. Though I must say I had to strip most of the fairings off the bike.

The cruise control works excellent. It worked first try, exactly like the one in my car. You can't tell it's in the bike, except for the little control buttons on the left handlebar.

Cost was about $100.

Hats off to Roy for doing all the R & D on this!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It disengages if you shut it off, engage the clutch, or brake. It has coast and accelerate functions too. I was playing with it tonight, and it maintains speed on hills real good too. I took my throttle lock and threw it away, this is way better, man.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like something I must do! The instructions are?? Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's photos in a different post under the same topic, authored by Roy Bertalotto. I see you asked him for the instructions on this in January. Its the same installation as i did, Roy did all the R & D for us. He has posted photos, and will give out the instructions on request.

I did mine a little different than he did, but its the same basic idea. I utilized the factory wiring for the grip heater for power and ground connections on the cruise unit. And I placed my actuator unit a little differently. And I put my vacuum reservoir under the rear fuel tank bracket.

I think the trickiest part was attaching the actuator to the throttle linkage. You have to drill a small hole in the top of the throttle stop, cut some threads in the hole with a tap tool, and install a screw. Make sure you have the right tools on hand before you start! (I spent about 15 bucks on a tap and T-handle).

If you run into any problems, message me and I will help you out.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, after I posted I remmbered that I do have his instructions out in the garage. Sounds like a very good option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To Der Strom,
I am new to this but have had my V-Strom for over a year now. I have sent a message to Roy asking for his detailed instructions but maybe I am to late now get them. Do you still have them electronically that you send to me. I am going to do this. My only question is to whether to purchase the AudioVox vacuum canister or make one myself out of PVC pipe connections.

Thank you so much for your helpful points about your installation!

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a large yellow Caterpillar o-ring. Works great. I bought 4 of them for $6 and am still using the first one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
marks655 said:
I use a large yellow Caterpillar o-ring. Works great. I bought 4 of them for $6 and am still using the first one.
I use this on my GS...but no way it works for the weestrom....the gap is way to big....got a pic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts