StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Being completely spoiled by the cruise control on My BMW K1200RS, I just had to have it on the DL650 V Strom (WeeStrom). After a couple of 12 hour+ days last week, riding back from Missouri, it was even more apparent what a great feature this is.
I've put together a pictorial with captions to wet your appetite if you are thinking about doing this modification. I've prepared a word document outlining the whole procedure that I will email to you upon request. [email protected]
Believe it or not, it is really quite simple. Took me three hours. The most difficult part is locating you Tachometer Drive and Vehicle Speed Sensor wires on the motorcycle. These can be found in the electric schematic found in a good service manual. Other than that, a little mechanical know how to attach the throttle linkage and few spliced wires and you be cruising!

Photo Album

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/v-strom/

Enjoy

J

·
0 Posts
I had seen such a mod on the FJ list and wondered about it on the Strom. Can you send the word doc to [email protected]. Still working good? What unit and where did you get it?
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
cruise control word document

Hi,
I saw your pictures on the criuse control install and would appreciate the word document you mentioned. Please send to [email protected].
Thanks for your time,
Pappy Wilson

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Do a search for Rostra.
Pretty much the same install but no vacuum cannister needed.
Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
I installed the Rostra CC on my wee last summer. It has been one of the better farkles that I've installed. I do a lot of highway driving & it's great to be able to take my right hand off the bars.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Two questions on the Rostra CC if anyone knows.

How water proof is the handle bar controller?

How many watts does the Non vacuum canister system pull?

Thanks for any assistance.

·
38,048 Posts
The handlebar controller needs to be waterproofed by the user. Just use a silicone seal, preferably without acetic acid for curing to avoid circuit board damage, and it is totally waterproof. Liquid vinyl electrical "tape" is another possibility. The unit uses a 10A fuse for the motor.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Being completely spoiled by the cruise control on My BMW K1200RS, I just had to have it on the DL650 V Strom (WeeStrom). After a couple of 12 hour+ days last week, riding back from Missouri, it was even more apparent what a great feature this is.
I've put together a pictorial with captions to wet your appetite if you are thinking about doing this modification. I've prepared a word document outlining the whole procedure that I will email to you upon request. [email protected]
Believe it or not, it is really quite simple. Took me three hours. The most difficult part is locating you Tachometer Drive and Vehicle Speed Sensor wires on the motorcycle. These can be found in the electric schematic found in a good service manual. Other than that, a little mechanical know how to attach the throttle linkage and few spliced wires and you be cruising!

Photo Album

2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (totaled 8-06) album | Rbertalotto | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Enjoy
after 5 years this thread gets dug up. WOW!! gotta be some kind of record. but i do have a question. how'd you mount the pelican to your handlebar? and did you repair or replace you Wee after the crash. a link to your thread about it would suffice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Two questions on the Rostra CC if anyone knows.

How water proof is the handle bar controller?

How many watts does the Non vacuum canister system pull?

Thanks for any assistance.
Used goop on the back of the controller and have not had any problems. Can't answer the the other one.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks Grey and Guns!!! :thumbup: I'll make sure to seal the handlebar controller up from the weather.

Im doing a trip this Summer to the Rocky Mountain National Park and was looking at a CC for the long trip. Now I just need to decide which one to pick.

Vac Canister or not is the big decision for me. :confused:

·
38,048 Posts
The vacuum type will fit under the side covers, use less electricity and cost less. The advantage of the electric motor type is reliability at higher speeds. My experience is the vacuum type starts having trouble at speeds above 75mph. I don't cruise over 75mph and have heated gear so chose the vacuum.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The vacuum type will fit under the side covers, use less electricity and cost less. The advantage of the electric motor type is reliability at higher speeds. My experience is the vacuum type starts having trouble at speeds above 75mph. I don't cruise over 75mph and have heated gear so chose the vacuum.
Pat thanks for the info... That's what I needed to know to help with the decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts