StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing the rostra cc unit on my 2012... All. Works now but my FI light is blinking and the bike won't idle down. Any thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I'll bet something in the linkage is keeping the throttle from closing. See FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes to read the error code. The connector is under the seat on the lift side near the back. It's the white connector in the picture. Remove the cover to access the connections.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C65 is the code that is pulling up... The bike runs okay but will not idle down.. Pulled it all apart and the throttle bodies are free with no obstruction.

·
38,048 Posts
A C65 is idle speed out of range which you already know. So you're sure there is slack in the Rostra cable. There are a lot of moving parts that get moved by the throttle cable movement. I still think the most likely cause is one of those moving parts hitting something. You can try an ISC reset if you are sure there is no physical interference.

1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Put the bike in dealer mode. FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Take the bike out of dealer mode.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
Make SURE there is slack in the cruise control cable where it attaches to the throttle linkage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the tank and the air box again... There is absolutely no interference in the throttle... I did the valve reset and no joy... Still idling high and the FI light comes on... This is really frustrating...

·
38,048 Posts
Again, are you sure there is slack in the Rostra cable.

·
38,048 Posts
Pull that rod's connection off the joint and see if the mechanism moves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What mechanism? Should I just disconnect the cruise bracket all the way? I mean nothing is touching at all.. Do you want me to pull the rod off and start the bike?

·
38,048 Posts
Right. remove the CC connection temporarily and move it out of the way and see if the throttle butterfly moves from the position it was in. Starting it and checking the idle speed isn't a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Something is binding. You need to see how things move during operation. Just looking a the bike parked and shut off won't tell you much. Watch it as you work the throttle.

If it were just the Rostra settings wrong, it would not throw a code.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cruise cable is completely removed.... The control box is unplugged... And main power to the cruise is disconnected... The light still comes on... As the bike is running it never idles below 1550-1650 then the light comes on... There is no obstruction on the throttle bodies...

·
38,048 Posts
If that's the case, the only other thing I can think of is the hose or wiring to the idle speed control valve was knocked off.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I know on my Vee, when performing a throttle body sync, the change in vacuum can elevate idle speed. I wonder if there is a vacuum leak caused by a disturbed hose?

Is there an idle adjustment screw like on the 1000? I can't see how that would throw a code, however.

Just wondering aloud. I have no experience with the 650 engine...

Maybe even check the throttle cables at the handlebars. Did you mess with anything in that area?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled the air box off again and inspected every connection under it... Then installed the air box and installed every connection . Double checked before putting on the tank... Then installed the tank and triple checked.... Then started the bike. Still throwing the code.... I never touched anything with the throttle cables. I even tested the hoses... No leaks...

·
38,048 Posts
The idle speed on post 2007 650s is controlled by the computer through an idle speed control valve. The only things that should affect the idle speed are the ISC valve, its wiring, its vacuum hose and the linkage to the throttle butterflies.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
dont have the pre L2 manual with me anymore as i give that to the new owner of my old bike - perhaps some one who has a manual nearby can loan you the thing so u can do some diagnostics on it. At least isolate the part that is the issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well any idea what to look for? I've been all through the system. Could I have damaged the computer with the cruise Control wiring?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts