StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home it started to rain so I went to zip up my sleeve to keep the water out. I rarely turn on cruise control, but I tried today so that I could zip my left sleeve. The cruise light came on, but when I hit the "set" button it wouldn't kick in. The dash CC flashed but no CC. I started to think that maybe the 1050 thought the clutch or the brake was being pressed. Once I got home I checked the levers. I also checked to make sure the brake light turned on. When pressing the front brake the brake light came on, but no light with the rear brake. These things might be unrelated, however I assume that the computer knows that it isn't getting a signal from the rear brake lever so it won't allow CC to engage.
Does anyone have a suggestion? The rear ABS works so the rear braking system is getting some signal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out the brake light issue, and it is unrelated to the CC not working. The spring extender for the peg lowering kit was stretched. I bent it tighter and the light is working fine. I still need to figure out the CC issue.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I don't have the factory CC but mine will not set if I have not used the brakes so the CC can test the system.

Could that have happened to you with the rear switch not working ?

·
Registered
'20 DL1050XT, '14 DL650
3,642 Posts
What speed were you going? You can't set cruise under a certain speed or gear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CC is still not working even with the brake light switch working again. I was going over 40 and at least 4th gear. Those are the cut off speeds and gear. I tried as high as 75 in 6th as well.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You did activate the brake light after turning the ignition on ?

Mine will not set if I don't do that.

If I stop for fuel I can ride off without using the brakes, if do that the CC won't set.

·
Registered
'20 DL1050XT, '14 DL650
3,642 Posts
That doesn't even make sense. I have my rear brake light deactivated (removed the spring from the plunger) because I have the pedal lower than most. My cruise works fine and there absolutely are times I engage it without ever having used the brakes prior to activation.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
As said I don't have the factory system,

I can't set my CC unless the brakes have been activated, it's a safety feature, it ensures it can be cancelled after setting by using the brakes.

Often people use the front brake without even noticing it, it's just a involuntary action.

I added a keyring loop to my rear brake light switch to get the extra length I need when I lowered my lever.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doing some more testing today. I now think that it is the clutch switch. I was able to start it up without pulling in the clutch lever. So, it thinks that the clutch lever is pulled in. I did recently install the ASV Clutch lever after braking the OEM lever a few months back. I am not sure how to fix the problem. I need to play around with it more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I will need to confirm tomorrow but I think this model can be started without pulling the clutch lever.
I had the cruise drop out the other day for the first time on a smooth motorway around 70mph and no chance of brakes, clutch or throttle being the culprit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will need to confirm tomorrow but I think this model can be started without pulling the clutch lever.
I had the cruise drop out the other day for the first time on a smooth motorway around 70mph and no chance of brakes, clutch or throttle being the culprit.
I took off the clutch switch today and it wouldn't start. The two prongs are touching all the time even if the clutch isn't in. I also took a closer look at the ASV lever. It does not make contact with the switch at any time. I'll check in the other thread about the ASV lever to see if any of them are having issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I took off the clutch switch today and it wouldn't start. The two prongs are touching all the time even if the clutch isn't in. I also took a closer look at the ASV lever. It does not make contact with the switch at any time. I'll check in the other thread about the ASV lever to see if any of them are having issues.
OK you got me interested enough to plod out to the garage and fire mine up. Your country model may be different but I just started the UK version without the clutch pulled and with the side stand down.
Not sure at the moment about the wiring / logic on my UK model but I could review the wiring schematic but unlikely to help you if yours is different anyhow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts