StromTrooper banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are definitely not nuts!

TY for all the tips. I enjoy them, and are helpful . My time is not limited, My body may be?? Only concern is Fl. to Grand Canyon? not much to see, and not sure about crossing Tx.?? Thinking of a bit north, Kansas, then south to northern N.M., then to GC. Wife thinks in nuts, but I am going to do this. Maybe she will come along? Just ordered a Terry Adcox seat. Should make it more comfy.
There is nothing nutty about wanting to see this beautiful country from the back of a motorcycle!

As far as routes west from Florida, the I 40 corridor isn't bad at all, if you're going to slab it. You can pick up I 40 in Memphis, and there are some beautiful stretches going through the Ozarks in western Arkansas.

Of course you could go farther north, and then head south again, but If you take any other route than western Arkansas or Missouri, you'll see nothing but corn no matter which way you go, even if you go all the way north to the Canadian border before heading west.

Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Kansas are all cornfields. Not that there is anything wrong with cornfields. it's just if you've seen one you've seen them all. Oh, Kansas has some wheat fields too, just not many. Too many ethanol subsidies I guess.

Starting somewhere in Oklahoma, I 40 picks up the path of the old Rt 66, and some of it has actually been built directly over it. Most of the towns along I 40 between Oklahoma and New Mexico have a "restored" section of Rt 66, although just exactly what restored means varies tremendously from town to town. Anyway, being able to say you've ridden on Rt 66 is pretty cool and gives you some bragging rights, even if there is not much of it left.

Oklahoma is fine, and actually forested in that area, but you'll be hot, dry, and bored out of your mind going through northern Texas around Amarillo. I had a service manager at a motorcycle dealership in Amarillo ask me when I was riding through there a few years ago "why would anyone leave Florida to come to this godforsaken place???!!!"

He was serious too.

And the wind blows through there like stink! But that's true anywhere on the great plains. But you'll be through there before you know it.

Once you get into Eastern New Mexico you're into high desert country, the real west, and it is simply gorgeous from there all the way to the Grand Canyon.

From Grand Canyon heading north, Zion National National Park is gorgeous and has the advantage of being a great "drive through" park, with awesome scenery close enough to reach out and touch it. Bryce is fantastic too, just requires a little more legwork to really see the sights.

After that take your pick, you really can't go wrong with any of the national parks out west.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Yup ... a lifetime of riding available in the west all the way up to Alaska.
For the boring stretches....Audible books really make the miles shrink.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
4 days withou doing slab you can be in Colorado Springs and then the world's your oyster.

https://goo.gl/maps/u9SBVaAXjTS2

This lets you flex to the south if weather is adverse.

and then if you use Furkot to pick up the best motorcycle roads

https://trips.furkot.com/ui

you can see there is a reasonable corridor moving toward Colorado
On the right is the description of the routes and as you burrow in there are hundreds more ..if you segment your trip into days then you can use Furkot to map your route and get ideas of the best roads to take. ( the tags at the bottom compile the routes from various sites I use all the time. )

Now here is a route that someone laid out you could tag into from the south and perhaps pick it up in Mississipi

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/HQx7ML#trip-itinerary

and it has some campgrounds as well.

You can take that route and modify it to your own use.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
It's not the most intuitive site - I don't route with it but rather use it to figure out where decent roads are.
In you case tho it may be worth the effort. VStrommer263 might have some tips for you.

I use tomtom app on my iphone for nav as i adore the winding roads feature.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Furkot does take some time to get used to it, but I'm liking it. They are still adding features pretty quickly. There is a good thread on it at ADVRider, where DRTBKR (?) is the evangelist and he says he has a some videos somewhere. It routed my NorCal trip well, and I'll see how well it did Death Valley over this weekend.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Bits and pieces

Here are some observations from several long rides.

US-64 across the northern part of New Mexico is a fine road,
through interesting towns and pleasant scenery that gets a bit
repetitive. For example, New Mexico has many thousands of
sandstone cliffs, and my mind kept forming the surfaces into
the faces of Statler and Waldorf, the crabby old geezers in
The Muppet Show who kept complaining about the show.
I imagined them making fun of me, and that was amusing.
Anyway, I enjoyed 64 a lot. When I reached Arizona, the wind
picked up a LOT, so I studied the situation and turned around
and went home to Florida, getting another load of those cliffs
and the imagined geezers. After getting home, I found out that
the wind in Nevada, which I didn't reach, was truly dangerous,
and would have given me cause to hole up for maybe four days.

US 93 runs N-S in Idaho, so it doesn't get you east or west,
yet I blundered onto it on a ride from Toronto ON to Vancouver BC,
and I liked it a lot. Wonderful scenery.

Do not bother riding the panhandle of Oklahoma, that long spit
that reaches over Texas to touch New Mexico, unless you really
NEED to smell a whole lot of cow urine. (Find another way to reach
US-64 to cross New Mexico.)

Texas is enormous. Use I-10 or I-20 as much as you can stand.
No matter what you do, you will tire of Texas before you leave it.
If you can spend a day riding the Hill Country, you will like it.

I hope you make your ride, and enjoy it a lot. Do not be afraid to
turn around if weather gets atrocious. In 2010 I rode about 8000
miles in two failed attempts to reach British Columbia from Florida,
so those rides are remembered as solo tours of several states.

Go!
Keith

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me, leaving Florida heading West the hardest decision would be which town to stop in for some music, New Orleans or Memphis -- no better cities for music, as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'd settle on New Orleans on the way out, Memphis on the way back.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You want to avoid I70 through KS at all costs. We take it in the car when going from OK to CO and although it's the quickest route, it's extremely boring. That highway never ends and there's nothing to look at.

Just to have more to look at we'll take I40 west to Amarillo then cut north through Dumas then to Clayton, NM. At least there is something to look at.

I remember taking this road when I drive from NJ to Aspen Co. I took pics to show friends and family that there is literally nothing in back, front, left or right of you as far as the eye can see. What an endless, boring road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great info guys, will help me find a route that will work for me. I,m sure there are good and bad with any one. Once I reach Grand Canyon, should be great all the way to Seattle.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Yeah for sure...
Utah Arches, Bryce and Zion all work taking the time to see

Avoid Salt Lake City....I'd tend to head west, catch Yosemite then pick up PCH at San Luis Obismo and a lovely stretch north along the coast, pick up Mount St Helens then back inland to snag Yellowstone and Glacier National Park and wander along the border to Seattle.

You can just use Furkot to find the best mcycle roads along the any given route.

·
Registered
448 Posts
West & catch Yosemite? Are you kidding? That means driving across Nevada - YUCK! That's one of the worst drives EVER!
Better to head north through Utah, through the mountains (east of I15 corridor) into eastern Idaho, & head west up north...

Doug

21 - 32 of 32 Posts