StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of planning a cross country ride, Clearwater,Fl. to Seattle,Wa. Thu Grand Canyon, National parks, camping most of the way. Any thoughts or interest in doing this?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did that back in 1973 on a 350 Suzuki 2 stroke but I left from Miami. Took the summer off before I started college. I would love to do it again some day on my Strom. Maybe when I retire in a couple of years. Any help I could offer would not be relative today. I envy your journey.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Much depends on what time of year you are planning on doing such, sounds like a great adventure.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Here's a checklist when I travel and camp. (up to 3 nights)

2 man tent with footprint
compact sleeping bag in a compression sack (mild weather)
sleeping pad
camp pillow
clothes to wear when not riding
compact one burner backpacking stove and instant coffee
toiletries
head lamp
flip flops (for going to the bathroom at night)
camera gear

All of this will fit in a dry bag and small tail bag strapped on the back. I travel light. For a long trip or cold weather I use my panniers along with the dry bag because of the extra supplies needed, heated gear, heaver sleeping bag, etc. If you plan to cook it change things drastically. If you're encountering drastic temperature changes you will need riding and sleeping gear to compensate.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If you have the time and money, just make sure your bike is in good running order, pack up and go. Plan your route day to day depending on weather conditions and suggestions for locals. These days you can get pretty much whatever you need on the road. You won't be able to see everything so pick your own hot spots and head that direction. My non planed long distance trips have most often been more memorable than my over planed trips.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
National Park annual pass will save you money. It's $25 a park and you can do three parks in a day in Utah alone. ( Bryce, Arches and Zion ....all very worthwhile ).

Hydrate - way more than you think even if it's not hot.

June is the nicest month as longest daylight hours tho can still be cold in the passes. ( Beartooth notoriously - ask me how I know :wink2: )

Audio books make the boring parts shorter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm retired, and I bought a $30 "Golden Pass" after that, Everything in a Federal propoerty is half price. So a $25 campsite is $12.50 to me If you are 62+ get one before you go

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
If you are a US citizen :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am retired, have a national park pass, and all my camping gear. Just completed a trip to Maine and back, about 4000 miles, all went well. Weather was great, so not sure of how to plan time of the year for a cross country trip like this. Want to avoid the heat of summer and the cold in the mountains. thinking leaving Fl. end of May, maybe about 300 miles per day? Grand Canyon first, then north to Montana, west to Seattle. Maybe return down the Ca. coast? If so, may catch the Grand Canyon on the way back??Maybe just get on the bike and ride ?? But always like to plan ahead.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I hope there is something to see between Florida and the Grand Canyon:). I did a ride back from central Tennessee to the Seattle area a few years ago. Mostly just looking for back road highways in the general direction and wanted to go back to Lake City CO en route. I really enjoyed the trip. The highway North through Idaho is really nice, too. The Northwest and West Coast can be pretty cool in May and even June. We get late summers up here. And the coast is cool year around pretty much. Sounds like a great trip. Keep us posted on your plans.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
That's an okay time most years...before the MAy 24 weekend the National Parks are nicely done up but not crowded. You wanna do the Ozarks for sure.

I don't know the southern route across but coming back at the top end Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Bear Tooth pass and Chief ( can't recall the name ) Parkway are terrific and we even found South Dakota lovely in the spring tho the slab speeds are daunting with a 75 mph limit.

Then angle down to Ohio, Triple Nickel is lovely, across to PA and catch 144 at Coudersport, take 6 to Cherry Springs Road that intersects 144 and take it as far as it goes...
One of my top rides always. Pick up the Skyline drive for a while tho it's slow going, loads of roads in the area.

If you can master this - you can pick up every good mcycle road everywhere....

https://trips.furkot.com/ui

Click on Find on the right then the Motocycle icon at the top and the routes will light up on the map and descriptions on the right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've used National Geographic's "Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways" for trip planning... easy area maps to see what's where and then very concise directions for enjoying the roads. Lots of help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Let me see...Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Glacier, the list of sights to see in just the National Parks out west is incredible. Then there's Badlands Natl Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower...how much time do you have?

If your time is limited, make a list of National Parks to see, and figure out how to get there.

IMHO, you definitely should see Grand Canyon, Yellowstone,(and Grand Teton, right next to each other) and Rocky Mountain National Park. Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park is one of the best motorcycle roads in the world, but be warned, you need to be able to handle the exertion of driving a bike at over 12,000 feet elevation. Not that bad really, unless you have a respiratory condition. Yellowstone speaks for itself, as does the Grand Canyon.

And when it comes to camping, for me, two things are indispensable-

A tent I can stand up in. (I don't understand middle aged men like me camping in a tent they can barely sit up in. A nice comfortable one you can stand in only weighs a few pounds more.)

A nice fold up chair to relax in by the fire. Doesn't have to be fancy, a cheap one from Walmart is fine.

Anyway, ride safe and good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TY for all the tips. I enjoy them, and are helpful . My time is not limited, My body may be?? Only concern is Fl. to Grand Canyon? not much to see, and not sure about crossing Tx.?? Thinking of a bit north, Kansas, then south to northern N.M., then to GC. Wife thinks in nuts, but I am going to do this. Maybe she will come along? Just ordered a Terry Adcox seat. Should make it more comfy.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
You want to avoid I70 through KS at all costs. We take it in the car when going from OK to CO and although it's the quickest route, it's extremely boring. That highway never ends and there's nothing to look at.

Just to have more to look at we'll take I40 west to Amarillo then cut north through Dumas then to Clayton, NM. At least there is something to look at.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts