StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is in the right section but im taking a crosscountry ride,NYC to LA next week,taking US 80 west to US 71 south to US 70 west to 15 west into LA.any stromtroopers know of any speedtraps along the way(not that my Vstrom is the type of bike to go fast on :D ) any info would be greatly appriciated.Ride safe and as always watch out for that person DWHUA

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Staying with traffic is usually your best bet on the highway. In small towns, 25 mph means 25 mph. It's getting so every cop car in the country has radar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohio always seems to be one big speed trap. I just got back from a roundtrip between Denver and Boston and didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
BEWARE 71 South or North in Ohio....you might want to read the recent thread re: radar detectors

Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where are the "if you didn't speed you wouldn't need to worry about it" weasles?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Staying with traffic is usually your best bet on the highway. In small towns, 25 mph means 25 mph. It's getting so every cop car in the country has radar.
Good strategy.

On the highway I try to let 1 or 2 out of 10 cars pass me, IOW have 10-20% of the traffic traveling faster than me. This makes it very likely that someone else will have absorbed the LEA capacity.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
+1 on this whether in the cage or on bike or rented cage. Especially if you rented one of these, :D

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Don't forget that if you're really flaunting the law some people with cell phones may take offense.

In fact, I got stopped recently by a local Sherrif's Deputy because someone reported a bike whose description superficially matching mine had passed the a school bus at a high rate of speed.

Fortunately, the rider was described as weaing a different-colored jacket than mine and I was let go. But not before I had a chance to admonish a trio of comely co-ed cross-country runners to watch their speed - much to the Deputy's amusement.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The entire state of Arizona has been named an "Enforcement Zone" by the AAA. They've put speed and intersection cameras everywhere. They don't even stop you, just mail the ticket to the vehicle owner. Assholes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Normally, I run about 5-7 MPH over the posted limit using my GPS as my guide. However, if I see I'm overtaking several "locals", those with local license plates, I back it down just a little bit.

Interestly enough, a few years ago I was traveled through both directions of Texas on the Interstates to Phoenix and return. At the gas stations, people were asking the standard questions -- where are you from? where are you going? how fast do you travel on that thing? When I told them my +5 to 7 MPH habit, many of them said something like -- you might get by with 5 MPH over but not with 7 MPH over. After that, I pulled it back just a bit and began to notice that I was still catching and slowly passing many of the "locals".

Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm pretty sure every small town has realized the amount of money they can bring in with traffic violations. Like stated above 25 means 25. It's sad but municipal revenue stops are everywhere out here. The small town next to us will get you for 1 mph over.

Now we have cameras on interstates.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'm pretty sure every small town has realized the amount of money they can bring in with traffic violations. Like stated above 25 means 25. It's sad but municipal revenue stops are everywhere out here. The small town next to us will get you for 1 mph over.

Now we have cameras on interstates.
I was told by a Friend Of A Friend that due to budgetary reasons, the State of North Carolina had instructed the Highway Patrol to quit issuing warnings and only revenue-generating paperwork.

So far the Dunkin' Donuts stickers have been working for me.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
US71 south of Fort Smith, AR, to the junction with US70 has a half-dozen or so one-LEO wide-spot-in-the-road little towns that might be troublesome in the current economy, but they've never been aggressive in my travels. However, there's a short stretch of 4-lane just south of Fort Smith which is routinely patrolled by Arkansas State Police. Keep to the limit there, and be warned: it's the last stretch of multi-lane you'll see for quite a while. It's actually not safe to speed and often not even to pass -- hundreds of driveways and side roads with fairly constant local traffic, farm traffic, and so on! Have a safe good trip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts