StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am starting to plan out a 2021 Cross Canada Trip. For the west portion, i'll have about 25 days. I was reading this ride report over the last few days and I think I want to loosely follow that route. I was able to get most of the GPS tracks from the author. I am looking at taking the Forrestry TRunk Route in Alberta North, then take the Ice Fields Parkway South and then probably back North again. From Jasper though I am not to sure what I want to do. I'll probably have my fill of gravel by that point but who knows. I want to hit the coast some place in BC, and will probably avoid Vancouver as I have no real reason to go into the big cities. Looking for some route suggestions, essentialy from Jasper - BC Coast, and then back to South Eastern Ontario.

Reactions: V-Tom and Webfors

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That sounds like a very cool trip idea.

I rode to BC in July of 2020 and went north to Fort St James, then south to my sisters in Richmond, visited the island and then rode home in the smoke of the wildfires.
If it helps, I made a ride report with all the roads and routes here: Ride Report: 2020 BC

·
Registered
2 Posts

I rode to BC in July of 2020 and went north to Fort St James, then south to my sisters in Richmond, visited the island and then rode home in the smoke of the wildfires.
If it helps, I made a ride report with all the roads and routes here: Ride Report: 2020 BC

It's hard to find a boring road in BC. I live in Crowsnest Pass (south western Alberta 18km from BC border). The forestry trunk road starts here. Here's a link you may find some helpful info:

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
The road from Banff to Jasper is for sure, do not miss that. Head to Prince George past Mount Robson, then towards Prince Rupert (Hwy 16), and turn up Hwy 37, or go past the 37 entrance to Terrace, and go up the Nisga' Hwy, it connects to Hwy 37 further up. Take 37 all the way up to the Hwy #1 crossing, and you can decide if you want to go left to Whitehorse, and maybe Dawson City (an amazing place), or right, along the Alaska hwy (Hwy 97), and back down through BC and then toward Alberta. Hwy 37 is also a road not to be missed, as well as the road through Muncho Lake and the stoney mountains. Watch out for bears, moose, bison and all kinds of fox and beavers and millions of other critters. That will be enough for one trip, and still leave lots more to explore for your second and third and fourth trips. Canada is a big place.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
HWY 99 is a must do...one of the finest rides anywhere.

Reactions: tenny80 and Webfors

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've had my next trip planned for a while now and it was based on traveling #99 S to N. Looks like this year will be a no go too.
The Forestry Road #734 looks great! If the borders ever open up I hope to ride this road.
Icefields Parkway north to south is the best way to see it IMHO. (see more of the glaciers)
And I really like the idea of riding the plains on backroads. I'll have to see about doing that here in the states.

·
Registered
325 Posts
From Jasper west toward Valemount is really nice, then go south a bit to the 'fishing highway' or whatever it's called. Maybe highway 24. Nice but 24 is more easy and curvy than stunning, but still a nice drive. That would set you up to do hwy 97, then to 99 through Lillooet and then the Duffy Lake Road. You could get to the island via Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, or go Horsehoe Bay to Langdale and do the Sunshine Coast up to Powell River, and take the ferry to Comox.

From Jasper, there are only a few roads west through the mountains, so it is west to Valemount, or north to Prince George.

Do, absolutely, watch out for wildlife on the Banff to Jasper run. Bears get very annoyed when you hit them.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all of the advice! I'm hoping to spend a week in BC so should have time hit most of these roads.

awesome ride report, I'm about half way through :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 on the area and roads @Jjonahjamison recommended. We were through there last august, and it is wonderful riding. Lots of bikes, and Harley's seemed the majority. Roads often narrow, with variable surface conditions but I wanted so much to be on the bike rather than in the car. It is also nice as there are towns at reasonable distance intervals so finding food or shelter should be realatively easy. Though that might depend on how many others have a similar trip in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I know in the winter I love the drive from Banff to golden, then on to revelstoke. I’d imagine it is amazing in the summer. Probably pretty busy too. I also loved driving around the east side of lake okanagan. Kamloops to salmon arm was also memorable

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Not sure if this aligns with your planned route but when I was in B.C. in 2015 I ended up taking the Kootenay Lake ferry from Balfour to Kootenay Bay and then had a memorable ride down Highway 3A. It runs along the east side of the lake and is a great ride... twisty and smooth with lots of places to pull over. I think the ferry was free.

- Martin

·
Registered
523 Posts
OK, I'll admit I'm jealous. Sounds like a great adventure. I really want to see that part of the world someday. (soon!)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Not sure if this aligns with your planned route but when I was in B.C. in 2015 I ended up taking the Kootenay Lake ferry from Balfour to Kootenay Bay and then had a memorable ride down Highway 3A. It runs along the east side of the lake and is a great ride... twisty and smooth with lots of places to pull over. I think the ferry was free.

- Martin

·
Administrator
13,961 Posts
Hey guys,

I am starting to plan out a 2021 Cross Canada Trip. For the west portion, i'll have about 25 days.
As long as the borders between provinces are open I plan on heading out west this summer. I'll be visiting friends and family, My daughter now lives in Calgarty, a friend in Vernon BC, my sister has a boat at Summerland BC and lives on Vancouver Island as does her daughter. I'm thinking July but havent set firm date. I am riding solo but wonderd if our paths will cross.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Though highway 20 from Williams Lake to Bella Coola is mostly flat and straight, the last stretch is known simply as "The Hill". The drop off the plateau down to the coast is worth it (plan your fuel stops or carry extra on that road). If you're looking to get to the coast, this route allows you to take a ferry from Bella Coola to the north end of Vancouver Island and make a loop of it without having to enter Vancouver. (There is also a much longer ferry ride you can take from Prince Rupert.) Once on the island, I would head south from Port Hardy to Courtenay/Comox and take the ferry over to Powell River on the mainland, and then ride the Sunshine Coast southwards to Vancouver. This involves a lot of ferry time (four separate ferries). The roads linking them are scenically fantastic and the boat rides too. Plus it gets you out of the saddle for a while so you can just take it in. After arriving at Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver), you don't have to enter the city. Just turn north and head for Whistler on the 99. It's a superb road that will spit you back out on the Fraser River. It can be a busy road, so avoid it on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts