StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking to "upgrade" from my V-Strom, mainly because after different bars/grips/extra rubber and nylon washers, etc. I still have issue with the vibrations carrying through to my hands and making them semi-numb to numb (because of sensitivity from carpal tunnel). There are SOOOO many things I love about the strom, I hate for having such a bad time in not getting it dialed in how I like it.

So. I've tried to make my list as short as possible to help in making any decision easier for you and me. :) Here they are:

1) Must have upright seating position.

2) Little to no vibration from the engine (especially to the bars).

3) Belt or shaft drive (since I'm changing, I might as well go for easier maintenance)

4) Option to mount hard luggage

5) Preferable for the engine size to be somewhere in the midrange for a not-too-heavy bike.

All of this being said, my strom is my ONLY personal vehicle. I use it to see family, buy groceries/shopping, vacations, etc. So the replacement bike must be as utilitarian as possible. I love to cruise at highway speeds (75-90 mph, indicated), use it for around town stuff and good to pack down for the long vacations (1000+ miles).

In my general search, it seems like I'm either going heavier to something like an ST100, FJR1300, R1200RT or minimalist down to an older Concourse or F650(GS?). I'd prefer to stay away from the heavier sport tourers for weight and maneuverability reasons, if possible.

I await your suggestions. :) Thanks in advance. :cool:

·
Registered
988 Posts
If vibration is an issue, stay away from the old Concours. It's tough to tame on that bike. Maybe it's too big for your purposes, but the reviews say the new Concours is silky smooth with an effective counterbalancer.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
F800St if you dont mind cutting the 5-10% dirt time down to about 0%.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Forget the F650, Single cylinder thumper more vibration.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sounds like a Burgman650 candidate to me!!! :mrgreen:

Forget the BMW's they are like driving tractors.

You might look at the new Bandit 1250, or an ST or FJR. I think those are gonna be your only real options.

I'm not sure if you are on a 650 or 1000, but if it's a 650 and you think that's too much vibes, I have a bad feeling you are in for a long, expensive search for something that make not exist.

Seriously, if the CTS is that bad, you probably shouldn't be riding much, if at all, and certainly not as a primary means of transportation. A Burgman might just be the ticket if you have to stay on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If touring type bikes are more your favor I have always thought I would own a FJR1300 someday or now the new Connie 1400! Love those bikes and when I retire in 18 years roughly from serving the tax payers I may buy one of those provided they are still making them.

I have to think the Connie will be around since it ran for 20 years in the 1000 cc version.

I will retire to only pavement then.

I rode a friend's 1000 Connie and it was a great ride. My hands got slightly numb but I think I was a little tense. I hate riding another person's bike. I am fearful of dropping it.

That said give the new FJR1300 a look. Has electronic shift now!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not sure how much you want to spend but if it is your primary vehicle I would look at the Honda Goldwing. I see you dont want a heavy bike but these things are awesome.

1) Very upright seating position

2) I dont think anyone makes a more smooth engine

3) I think these are shaft drive
4) Tons of luggage and storage options

5) humm... yeah, this is a really heavy bike

good luck in the search for the perfect bike! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies/feedback. It's appreciated muy mucho. :D

JayR: I hadn't looked too closely at the F650, I just saw that it was in the lighter category and had belt drive. I have ridden an 1150 GS and RT models. I remember the GS being a great overall bike but particularly top heavy. The RT was more appealing in the touring aspects (nice airflows and quiet, cruise, etc.) but wouldn't be my first choice mainly because of the added weight, not as good as an around town bike because of a larger turning radius. Neither one gave me vibe issues in the hour+ I had on each. I haven't tried the 1200 models.

MonkeyGrass: I have the Vee. I can live with the airflow issues it has (I found my tolerance zone), it does everything so well it's kind of a hooligan machine sometimes! Just the darn vibes creep through. The Moose ATV High bars I have on there now with Kuryakyn grips (nice and fat!) with some risers are almost perfect, took care of the pain in my shoulder blades I got after a few hours in the saddle, regardless of stretching, etc. I don't get any numbness now, per se, just a tensing of the hands/wrist muscles after an hour or so.

I haven't tried the new Bandit yet, I see that it has an inline-4 which may really do the trick of fewer vibes. I demoed the FJR before but didn't get a good feel for it in the short ride I had. I was able to rent a Honda ST1300 in Reno earlier this spring and put over 300 miles that day - almost perfect, except for the weight and the whine of the I-4 (but earplugs took care of that part). I'm going to try the Burgman(s) out at Octoberfest.

msheron: I have sat briefly on the new Connie 14, seemed pretty comfortable. If there's availability for it at Octoberfest after signing up for some other bikes, I may check it out. Only down sides may be the weight and so much power that I may kill myself with it! :eek:

SCraig: this bike looks interesting. I swore to a friend a few months ago I saw a Gixxer (GSX-R) with an upright seating position and this looks like it! I really had wanted to see the mods the guy did to change the seating/bars. I'm not a sportsbike guy but this thing fits the criteria. Now I'll definitely check it out.

liljoec: Goldwing is a great bike but out of the question. I have driven and rode on some before, I call them the Cadillacs of motorcycles. :cool: Just too much weight and not enough maneuverability.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
SCraig: this bike looks interesting. I swore to a friend a few months ago I saw a Gixxer (GSX-R) with an upright seating position and this looks like it! I really had wanted to see the mods the guy did to change the seating/bars. I'm not a sportsbike guy but this thing fits the criteria. Now I'll definitely check it out.
Don't expect to find any on the roads yet because they aren't available. The dealers here say they have orders in for them but scheduled delivery is September or October. I though real hard about one but decided I really didn't want to buy a new model the first year they were out. Too many bugs to work out, but I REALLY like the looks of it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Honda Pacific Coast. Suzuki 650 Burghman.

I'm looking for the same sort of ride. Mine has to have:

Back rest for me
Cruise control
Shaft drive
Aerodynamic fairing
500 lbs or less
Fast
Quiet
Radio
Roomy plastic bags and top case
Big gas tank
Floor boards
Upright seating with feet in front of ass

The V-Strom is as close as I can get right now. I tried the Concours but the seating position hurt every part of my body. I have an Electra-Glide but that is too heavy and noisy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Low frequency vibes - single
Mid freq - twin
High freq - I4

Choose your poison. Supposedly the high frequency vibration from a 4 cyl causes numbness worse/faster than the lower frequency of of a single or twin.

And then there are the triples. Considered the Triumph Tiger?
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4506.aspx

Downside is that it has a chain. 17" front wheel on the 2007's for more pavement bias. The previous generation had a 19" front. 1050cc's, 100+ hp.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What about the Triumph Tiger? Anyone tried it out lately? I have not ridden one so I don't know about vibes, but I hear the triple is quite a smooth machine.. That would probably still be my alternate to the Vee if I were so inclined.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The GSX650 is basically a Bandit 650 in GSXR clothing.

I would look hard at the Bandit 1250. They added a dual counter balancer to it.

My GSX1100G had a dual balancer (the old bandit 1200's did not) it was silky smooooth.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yea the pickle is no vibration, then you want a mid weight. Very hard indeed. You may be able to dial out some vibes with heavy handle bar ends. It amy help some, otherwise That New Kawa Concors 1400 may be the best option for your pains.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My understanding is...

the Honda ST 1300 is one of the smoothest engines out there. I know it's large, and won't go down dirt roads but unless you're going to have CT surgery like I did on my right hand over the winter I don't know what else to say. I couldn't ride my wee until I had this done, piece of cake with the new technology. 10 min. surgery and viola! all fixed and I can't even see the 1" scar from February.

Good luck, shoot me an email if you'd like to talk about the surgery - best thing I ever did.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
VeeTex,

Are you receiving treatment for your condition? I've had tennis and golfers elbow, in my right elbow for some time. I was riding a BMW K1100RS. A very heavy machine for my size, but I handled it ok. My elbow was extremely painful last year and I believed it was because of the bike, so I sold it. I finally sought treatment (I'm a bit stubborn) back in April of this year. What a difference some physical therapy and deep tissue massage made! My pain is gone!

I find the Wee to be one of the most comfy machines I've been on. Maybe with some treatment for your condition, you can keep your bike and reduce or eliminate your pain. BTW: I didn't stop riding when I was receiving treatment. The PT said riding was part of the treatment to build strength. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts