StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been kicking around the idea of a road trip to Alaska with a buddy of mine for a couple years now, it's on every adv'ers bucket list I would think but now I'm not so sure, last night I binge watched a few episodes of Alaska state troopers on the history channel and I was surprised at the amount of crime there, I had no idea Alaska has one of the highest crime rates in the country, I did some reading on the subject this morning and the statistics are staggering, from what I've learned that drug/alcohol addictions are driving the crime rate up with methamphetamine and heroin addiction at an all time high resulting in violent crime and property theft. One thing that seemed to repeat itself over and over in the show was the fact that everyone that the police made contact with was wasted and carrying a gun, so I guess my question is have any of travelers here had any problems while exploring the state?

·
Registered
226 Posts
What you say is true according to the Nat'l Crime Survey as of March 2017, Alaska outpaces the lower 48 and HI with 73 violent crimes per 1000 residents, so it's not just reality TV drama. There is a really big domestic violence component, way outpacing the others, drugs + alcohol + short days/long nights and some of the most lax gun laws in the world don't help. No reason to be paranoid but not forgetting about your surroundings.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Where you are going doesn't really relate to the domestic issues .....we never gave it a thought.....now bears .

...you gotta be concerned....and invisible mountain goats on the highway...

You wanna miss all this for unfounded concerns???

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/alberta-bc-yukon-2014

nah >:)

·
Registered
15,252 Posts
i don't have to go several thousand miles to see the nuts on a goat or sheep, I do that at the local Zoo. Bears, I can avoid pretty easily too.
I'm not keen on "No Camping, bears close by."
A friend that took his mobile home to the far reaches suggest the trip to Inuvik was 500 miles of pissy little trees followed by 500 miles of pissy little trees on the way back. Not exactly a travel brochure description, eh?

Now all those vids folks have posted viewed from a comfy armchair with my brandy and cigar in had on a nippy So Cal evening. That's true vicarious travel.
Think of the gas money saved! I can afford a better Brandy with that.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Yup 4 legged critters up there are a big concern, but 2 legged critters still worry me more no matter where I may be exploring.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Hunh travelled all over the world, rich places and poor and never a worry.....the only place that was risky was Sierra Leone on tribal initiation night ....you just stay indoors.

I must have a friendly face >:)

My partner won't go to Arabian countries tho ...the men are pigs to women....and far too openly.

Yup you have been fortunate and perhaps you don't scream as being a tourist, but it obviously happens to other people on a regular basis. I am no world traveler and wouldn't be for many of my own reasons, plenty for me to see and explore here in the states. :smile2: I like the option of protecting myself should the unfortunate need arise, I try my best to never become a statistic.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Bit of a mindset difference there. I don't think it's fortunate...I think it's the norm in most countries and not all first world.
Now there ARE dangerous places ....JoBurg for one and we just don't go there but Western Cape South Africa is heaven....

You would not HAVE that option in most countries....and that's a very good thing.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
And yet, tons of guys have made road trips to Alaska and had the time of their lives, with not a single incident involving marauding meth addled murderers. As far as watching shows like Alaska State Troopers, of course you're seeing all sorts of mayhem; what you aren't seeing are the hours of patrol where absolutely nothing happens. If Alaska has a meth problem, it's the same meth problem that most of the rural US has. I don't avoid West Virginia and the beautiful riding there because they have a terrible meth and Oxycontin problem.

My biggest worry when I take a trip isn't that I'll get robbed by some scumbag; it's that I'll get run over by some nice middle class kid who's texting while he's driving. Don't let fear ruin what could be a spectacular trip. If you need a counterbalance to crime statistics, go read a bunch of accounts from guys who made an Alaska trip (or a Mexico trip, or to Panama, or wherever) and see how well it went for them.

When I ran a criminal investigation unit, one of the things I had to to was compile crime statistics. They're not always an accurate reflection of what your "boots on the ground" experience will be.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
And yet, tons of guys have made road trips to Alaska and had the time of their lives, with not a single incident involving marauding meth addled murderers.
Exactly ...never even crossed our mind.

Now we certainly avoid Salt Lake City traffic....

•••••

Mexico ...we've not been and not planning...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/23/new-figures-reveal-2017-to-be-the-deadliest-year-in-mexicos-history

They have a problem even tho millions visit without issue.....it's too close in temperature to our place in Cairns so no great appeal.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
It amazes me, the crap people think is worth worrying about. Alaska is no more dangerous for a tourist than any other place in America. It's an incredible place to visit, just go.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My big bucket list trip was DeadHorse,Alaska. As far as you can go by road in NA..In 012 four of us on Stroms with no chase and all camp gear and lots of food did it. We made camp every night but one.In DeadHorse too many bear alerts and no camping by law that night. If locals had not told us where to find gas would have not found it. Such a dirty cold place.28 degrees and snow first week end in June!
Gas was at a card only place.Bear proof medal covers over the wall pumps. You went in ran your card pump gas and put cover back down make sure door closed and leave.
Some so great views but cold and in hind site the number of bears seen was so many more than I ever would have guessed! Not just black bears like lots of the lower 48 but all kinds and big! In hind site thats the reason I do not want to go back.Too cold and way,way too many bears.Half our camp was just get off road out of site,look for bears,then set up tents.
looks cold because it is!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Colorado is my pick of states rode and camped in so far. You don't see many bears at all next to Alaska and views were really good the eight day trip at it. So many nice parks and with SR. cards about all free with the pass.:grin2:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You've probably described the reason I wouldn't be into an Alaska trip, and it's not marauding bears or meth maniacs. My "comfort filter" is probably set too high to camp out when it's 28 degrees in June. Uncle Sam sent me to Germany back in the 80's, and I lost my taste for winter time campouts during a particularly miserable Reforger.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I suspect that with regard to crime, Alaska is like Canada's arctic territories. They have the highest crime rates in Canada. But the vast majority of it is booze, drugs, domestic violence or fights between "friends", and some theft. It has so much to do with how we treated our aboriginal people over the last century; long story, but we screwed them up bigtime, and the dysfunction gets passed on down the generations.

Anyhow, my point is, while I've never been to Alaska and can't speak for it, if it's anything like Canada's north, you as a visitor have very little to worry about re crime. Take standard precautions you'd take anywhere, don't get so drunk or stoned you can't pay attention to what's going on, don't go out of your way to piss off any locals, and you'll be fine.

Source: I lived in Yellowknife NT 1971-2001, travelled all over Canada's north, and my dad was chief judge for the NWT Territorial Court for years and we learned lots about things from his work and his stories.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
When people watch programs like that on TV all they show is the bad stuff...It's like watching Air Disasters on TV just before a flight on a Airliner, you know it's going to crash...:frown2:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I suspect that with regard to crime, Alaska is like Canada's arctic territories. They have the highest crime rates in Canada. But the vast majority of it is booze, drugs, domestic violence or fights between "friends", and some theft. It has so much to do with how we treated our aboriginal people over the last century; long story, but we screwed them up bigtime, and the dysfunction gets passed on down the generations.
yup. :crying2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The one night we stayed inside in three and a half weeks was in one of two places in DeadHorse. It was a big place. About everyone in DeadHorse is working for pipe line or some other big out fit and they pay the bill for about everything. Price for one little room with what looked to be two old bunk beds took down and about three feet from each other. No water, rest room,TV, and only elc was one bare light with a pull chain.You went down a long hall to more like a nice KOA showers,rest rooms,and plug in to shave ,charge a phone etc. $110 each if two in the room. So dirty out side a large box? Big as a freezer cardboard box as you got pass first door to the second that you pay before going in. The box had the hospital type shoe covers that you put on to walk to your room where you put on clean shoes or clean the ones on before walking any where.
Best thing was the great place to eat.Clean,great food,and all free with the room!They even let you take a sack lunch with you. It was open 24/7 and we pig out big time and I took all cans of juice with me as thought I need this after this long trip.After the room money paid we told the nice lady we need to take the stuff off our bikes in. As I was taking stuff off a guy coming out to work I guess told me. "No need to take all that in! That long road in was the only one and only way out! Bears don't come here with all the in and out 24/7."So I just took what I needed that night and a clean change.:smile2:
The room was top floor and between the two beds was a orange rope with a big knot about every foot and all in a pile. It was the fire rope. If a fire throw out the window and go down.With the big snow drift at bottom floor think we could have done fine with just a jump in to it!:grin2:

·
Registered
15,252 Posts
"Uncle Sam sent me to Germany back in the 80'"

I was in Ludwigsburg back in the late 60's. When they called an alert and the troops left for the field I was hiding in my office all nice and warm.
The post was quite pleasant with the skeleton crew! Neener, neener!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts