Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I mapped out a ride from 410 via FS70 over the hill to Lake Easton on I90. This is also a test of a cell phone based GPS (will have paper map as back up) Satellite view looks like mostly dirt/gravel road so I'll be taking it easy on my DL1000 but satellite view also shows a creek crossing without a bridge. Maximum zoom makes it look relatively small/shallow and of course I'll probably wade across before trying with the bike. If I figure it's too deep or rocky, that will be my turn around point but as per the title can I count on having to push the bike out of the creek by hand or is there a chance it'll get enough traction to pull through on it's own?

Will be leaving for this trip in the morning so I may have my answer before anyone responds but if there are any night owls out there, I'll check in here before departing just in case.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm assuming you still have stock tires on, if you can walk fairly easily across the creek you should be fine. The only time you'll have issues is with rocks like you said, or soft mud. Sand, gravel, small river rock should all be ok to go across with some discretion and care. If you decide to walk it across be careful with the throttle so you don't spin the rear wheel and slide it from under you. Most likely you will be ok if it is a commonly crossed creek.

As a side note, it is easier to cross when sitting on the bike as you get much more traction. I've taken my bike with worn Tourance tires in big rocks and ha little issues, just be careful if its gravel, don't stop if you can help it, or you'll find yourself in a rut.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
"As a side note, it is easier to cross when sitting on the bike as you get much more traction."

I think the boys that have attended a AVD off road class may have issue with this practice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Depends

If you're standing on the pegs & the front gets deflected from an unseen rock, you may have a hard time putting a foot down. It really depends on the type of crossing. Most of the time I'll stand, but there are times that I paddle.
Most importantly, don't do into a water crossing unless you know how deep it is.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Any of the routes from FS70 to Lk. Easton aren't doable on the Strom. I even turned around on the DR350. But if you took 1 of the 2 routes to Stampede pass, they work fine on the Strom. No water crossings that way.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of the routes from FS70 to Lk. Easton aren't doable on the Strom. I even turned around on the DR350. But if you took 1 of the 2 routes to Stampede pass, they work fine on the Strom. No water crossings that way.
This turned out to be true will put the details in nvr2old's "where did you go for labor day" thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts