StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Riding home later last night in the evening. Down a gravel road I came up on a car going the same way. I slowed way down as did the car. Usually in this case I start honking the horn until I see some sign from the car that they know I'm there (like hitting a turn signal or something.) They didn't and as they almost stopped I started go pass them. At that moment they decided they would turn left into a driveway without signaling or looking. I missed them but laid down the bike at probably 30 kph or so. Turn signal, clutch lever, handguard, left footpeg and topcase broken. A minor scrap on the front fairing. I'm okay (full gear!) although my ankle and left side are a bit stiff. Driver (older folks in the car) was very apologetic and will pay for damages, even tried helping me bump start the bike but hard to do with no clutch. I was able to hotwire the clutch switch (used wire from the broken turn signal) and ride home with the car following me most of the way.I'm a bit stiff this morning but otherwise okay, although I wish I was riding right now!

Driver is going to pay for damages, and I'm sure they will look and signal from now on.

Anyway, it's all fine and just another bump in the road of life! ;)

(Anyone in the Toronto GTA have an extra clutch lever for a DL650 handy?)

..Tom

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i was behind an older lady in a residential neighbor hood. she signaled right to turn at an intersection (no stop sign) so i went to go around her on the left but it turned out that she was going left into her driveway. no collision or anything but she started all yelling at me as i rode by. turned around to talk to her but she insisted on continuing her rant and berate us motorcyclists. when she calmed down i told her to get her flashers checked cuz she signaled right. but it might be a good idea for us bikers to just chill for slow pokes until they choose to get out of our way.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad you are OK! I was following someone into my neighbourhood, he slowed way down, just before his driveway, on the right, but I waited in case he did something stupid like swing left to back in. He put it in reverse and gunned it straight back into me! His bumper rode right up on top of my front wheel, pushed the bike back a couple of feet but I didn't go down. Only damage was to the front fender. 45 year old kid, still living at home - loser!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm sorry for your wreck. I crashed a few weeks ago when I hit gavel in a turn. I feel for you.

I'm surprised the other fellow is paying for it though. IMHO if I was the rider and the one who was passing, I'd feel at fault for that accident.

On coming left turners, or left turners from a side street are a totally different case, but this situation is different IMHO.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glad you're O.K., had some close calls myself, but won't talk about them anymore, some people get offended when you try to warn others of some of the new "antics" cagers come up with! Glad you didn't get hurt!!! Cheers--BB

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry for your wreck. I crashed a few weeks ago when I hit gavel in a turn. I feel for you.

I'm surprised the other fellow is paying for it though. IMHO if I was the rider and the one who was passing, I'd feel at fault for that accident.

On coming left turners, or left turners from a side street are a totally different case, but this situation is different IMHO.
I understand what you are saying, and I do feel that I might have been able to avoid the situation. However, we have this thing in Ontario called "The Highway Traffic Act" and it suggests that you have to make sure the way is clear before turning. Here is the law:

Highway Traffic Act said:
Signalling turns and stops
Signal for left or right turn
142. (1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).
Signal when moving from parked position
(2) The driver or operator of a vehicle parked or stopped on the highway before setting the vehicle in motion shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and, if in turning the vehicle the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement, shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (2).

I can post the laws applicable to my pass but I satisfied all of them. If he wasn't going to take care of the damages I would happily call the local police and have them and his insurance take care of things.

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Tom, glad you're only stiff this morning. Sorry to hear about the bike damage. Glad it will all get taken care of.

I'm feeling a little snake bit right now. In the last 24 hours I've learned that two of my semi-regular riding partners have gone down. First PackMule, now you. You guys are going to have me looking over my shoulder.

Hey MZ, if you're reading this don't ride for the rest of September. I'll have to hang up my keys if one more of us go down this month.

Heal up quickly Tom. You going to get the right side of your bike fixed while they're at it?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Glad you are still with us, I know a couple of friends who did not fare as well from the same type of scenario. Be happy you get another chance and chalk this down as a tough lesson for both parties.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, glad you're only stiff this morning. Sorry to hear about the bike damage. Glad it will all get taken care of.

I'm feeling a little snake bit right now. In the last 24 hours I've learned that two of my semi-regular riding partners have gone down. First PackMule, now you. You guys are going to have me looking over my shoulder.

Hey MZ, if you're reading this don't ride for the rest of September. I'll have to hang up my keys if one more of us go down this month.

Heal up quickly Tom. You going to get the right side of your bike fixed while they're at it?
No reason to hang up keys.. shit happens and hopefully we can all learn from it. I'm just bummed I can't ride today! The irony is that this year I have been making special effort when going by and stopped car - honking horn and flashing the lights until I saw the driver turn their head to look for example - and this one time I didn't do that, I think because it was after dark and figured you can't miss a headlight coming at you in the dark. I just slowed right down and when it looked like he was stopping I started to pass.

..Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was able to hotwire the clutch switch (used wire from the broken turn signal) and ride home with the car following me most of the way.
First of all, I'm glad to hear your okay and that bike only had minor damages. I know it still sucks though.

Secondly, I'm interested in your comment about hotwiring the clutch switch. Could you give a novice some insight into what you did here? Had that been me I would have had to tow the bike, so I'm definitely interested.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
I'm totally staying out of that one but for the record, I don't get mad when people tell about stupid things drivers do, I get mad when the rider doesn't feel that they are responsible for predicting these things.

If you honked before passing him, I'm curious as to why he didn't hear you though.

Glad you're fine; hope you recover soon.

It's sometimes hard to do at night, but I always try to keep an eye on the wheels of a car I'm passing; it's a little trick I picked up on the race track (where people also don't use turn signals).

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, I'm glad to hear your okay and that bike only had minor damages. I know it still sucks though.

Secondly, I'm interested in your comment about hotwiring the clutch switch. Could you give a novice some insight into what you did here? Had that been me I would have had to tow the bike, so I'm definitely interested.
I pulled off the connector (which is female, the part that goes to the clutch switch is male.) I got my multitool from under the seat. I cut off a bit of the wire from my broken turn signal and made it in a "U" shape and stuck it into the socket. Nike started right up. to get going I got a little bit of speed up and put it in first and rode home without the clutch. It was only about 10 miles from home so no biggy. The wire is still there now.

..Tom

·
Registered
381 Posts
i was behind an older lady in a residential neighbor hood. she signaled right to turn at an intersection (no stop sign) so i went to go around her on the left but it turned out that she was going left into her driveway. no collision or anything but she started all yelling at me as i rode by. turned around to talk to her but she insisted on continuing her rant and berate us motorcyclists. when she calmed down i told her to get her flashers checked cuz she signaled right. but it might be a good idea for us bikers to just chill for slow pokes until they choose to get out of our way.
I wonder if that was my mother-in-law?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure how Canadian law works...but I got screwed over once by trusting another driver after an accident. The accident was 100% their fault, we traded contact info, and I was promised that I would be paid 100% for damages as soon as I got an estimate. I got the estimate, but the other driver suddenly changed their attitude and didn't want to pay a cent. I called the police, who told me there was nothing I could do, since I didn't call them at the time...meaning no accident report, investigation, etc.

I hope you get whats coming to you! these days I don't care how sorry the person is, or what promises they make...I'll be on the phone to the police the minute someone hits me.

Jim

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Glad you're ok Tom. I've been hit by a driver turning into me so I know how dificult it is to predict and take evasive action.

Drivers ahead of me pulling over to the side is one of the few scenerios that put me on ultra high alert. I know if they time it right, they can take me out as I pass and there's nothing I can do about it.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
No reason to hang up keys.. shit happens and hopefully we can all learn from it.
I wouldn't actually hang up the keys. But it does get your attention when two friends you've ridden with in the last 6 weeks both go down. Both are people I respect as highly competent, very skilled, and safety minded riders. I can say it's gotten my attention.

Here's what I see so far. You were both taken out as the direct result of a car ahead of you which was traveling in the same direction as you. Not the usual threat scenario most of us think about. Both riders did something different from their normal riding techniques that contributed to the outcome. Both were wearing gear and both sustained relatively minor injuries.

No question I was thinking about Rich's crash as I rode today. I know for a fact I was more alert while following a car. I noticed how frequently it was easy for me to start to be distracted for one reason or another, then snap myself back and think about Rich's situation.

For the last couple of years I've noticed that every time I approach a farm tractor I instantly think of Greywolf and a story he told about a close call he once had with a tractor. I'm now adding you and Rich to my instant recall scenarios.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi Tom,

Happy to hear your ok and the bike will be fine.

Not sure how I would have reacted myself. Stories like yours always allow me to reflect on my own riding skills, and I try to gain knowledge through others experiences.
I'll keep your situation in the back of mind for sure.

All the best to ya.

Ken

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Drivers ahead of me pulling over to the side is one of the few scenerios that put me on ultra high alert. I know if they time it right, they can take me out as I pass and there's nothing I can do about it.
I usually hit the Stebel when this happens. In fact, I ride with my thumb over the horn button quite a bit. Just yesterday, I found my thumb poised like this without even thinking about it. It made me think about the subconscious "thumb training" I have obviously been doing and it was somewhat reassuring, but I'm definitely not complacent.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Hey guy. I'm so glad you're not dead!

Seriously, it could have been worse, the bike can be repaired.

Be careful out there, eh?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts