StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the Givis and like them very much. I ordered them from Eric at Twisted Throttle. I saw a guy with the Motech ones and didn't like them as much. They didn't stick out far enough IMO to offer any real protection. The Givis are a 15 minute install job to boot.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also got the Givi's and agree with Meat they look like they will give a bit better protection. Plus I get a lot of positive comments on them. La Jesse of Jesse Luggage saw them and decided not to even make a set. With the Jesse Bags and Givi gurads I don't think a frame slider would ever touch down.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Givi Crash Bars

I have just become a member.

I own 02 V-Strom, put 20,000 KM on it this year.

I have dropped the bike a few times, mainly at slow speed. I find the handle bars have protected the bike. Bent the handle bar weights. For some reason the left side clutch lever has broken off, but have not broken the right brake lever. Went off rode for the first time with the ADVrider.com guys. A picture of my bike and me is under Loadedpolza, tire popping bike dropping PNW trip report. I'am Casualty #5 . I was glad that I put the bars on. Put the bike down at about 35 km/h in the gravel. The guys I was with said the bars protected me and the bike from serious damage. When the bike went down on the right side my leg was caught under the rear passenger peg. I was able to get the bike off me by myself.
The damage that occured was the crash bar was bent in almost touching the fairing and scraped, rear brake pedal was bent into a S shape, foot peg is slighty bent. If i didn't have the bars on the fairing probably would have sustained some serious damage. All we did was pull the bar back out to it's original position. Suggestion when mounting the bars, place a jack under the motor for support. I didn't like that the frame was being stressed when the bars are being attached. The bars are in the way of the fairing bolts so get your self a ball nosed allen key for easier removal. When i take the bike off the road for the winter I am going to remove the bars. My plan is to repaint them because they are scrathed and to attach some removeable Hwy pegs. I will weld on a thread to the lowest point on the bars, this way I can screw the Hwy pegs on when i need them. I think they will be far enough in that they will not touch if the bike falls over because of the crash bars. Yes I recommend the Crash Bars!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE

Stinez,

Thanks for that link to Twisted Throttle. I didn't know there were 3 different crash bars to choose from. Any pics and prices of framesliders?

A buddy of mine dropped his R1150GS twice on a recent roadtrip (he's short and needs to work on his dismount) the hard bags and crash bars saved that bike each time it went down.

-cos

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went with the SW-Motech bars over the Givi based on asthetics along. Haven't had to test them yet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tip bars

What is the diameter of the various bars and can you mount stretch legs (aka highway pegs) on them?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Givi here

I have to vote for the Givi's also. What sold me was the guy on the mail list that hit a deer. The Givi's seemed to protect the fairing better than a low mount bar.

steve

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crash Bars

I have the Givi case guards. I dropped the bike twice, thankfully at a dead standstill, once in gravel and once on pavement. Though the case guard has some scratches, the bike came out of it without a single blemish. I've been lucky to never have to rely on them while moving, but I seem to find gravel or grease to loose my footing on at least a few times a year.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have the Givi bars. Personally I don't like the look of them much but most people who see the bike say how cool they are. Have dropped the bike once (forgot the disc lock - what a prat!) and the bars definitley saved the fairing from much more expensive damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts