StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Givi Crashbars recently and have noticed a significant increase in vibration. What once was a bike that impressed me with so little vibration for a Vtwin now annoys me after 5000 rpms.

Has anybody else installed crash bars and experienced this problem? Any way to dampen the vibration short of chucking the bars?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
24 Posts
crash bars

My DL650 crash bars are being delivered today but now Im not sure if I should put them on. I don't want to get any vibration. Is everything tightened up on install? Did you install all the spacers and washers? I would like to put them on but after reading your post Im going to wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the sw motechs coming with their center stand. Glad to here you have no problems with them. I didn't know givi even made them.Did the motechs go on easy?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah the motecs went on fine, the "through engine" bolt was a bear to get off the bike and the 2 bars get clamped together with a tube thing which was not an easy fit but if you asswemble them off the bike then fit them to the bike I found it to be a lot easer. Love the motec center stand too! Great to wash, work on, park, and fill gas on the bike because of it!

Mike

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I've got the same problem. I installed the GIVI crash bars and was quite dissappointed. They were the DL650 version of the crash bars.

For my bike the vibration is also at it's worse between 5,000 and 5,500 rpm. The image in the rear view mirror is crystal clear till I hit this rpm range then it gets blurry as hell from the vibrations.

I'm going to experiment and see if there's a low cost way of correcting this, else I'll take them off and try sell them on ebay

·
Registered
24 Posts
motech bars + stand

Just got my motech centerstand and crash bars today. Went on easy and look great. Looks like factory add ons. I will ride tomorrow to check things out. Nice to have the center stand again.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Givi makes great motorcycle luggage. I don't know why they even mess around with windscreens and crashbars - because they don't seem to be able measure up to the competition in those areas. Everyone I saw that tried the Givi windscreen on the '02, '03 V-Stroms gave it poor reviews. I tried a Givi windscreen on my AN650, simply because they were the first on the market with an aftermarket screen, and it was awful.

It seems that they get those products out quick, ahead of the competition, but they are poorly designed and tested. Their stuff looks good - but doesn't function well (except for the luggage, which is excellent).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree their luggage is great. I bought a givi windscreen for my old Pegaso. The buffeting was so bad I sent it back. The motech crash bars didn't make any added vibration and I'm real happy with them. Now if I could only find some hand guards.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have installed the Givi crashbars correctly with the spacer, washer, etc. The 5000-5500 rpm range is where I also experience the "hit" of vibration. I think the bars are acting like a tuning fork magnifying the engine vibration and sending it back up through the frame. It is excessive enough that I am tempted to use the bars as yard ornaments.

From this thread it looks like the Motech guards are the way to go and have no vibration problems. Dont waste money on Givi bars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wondering if its possible to put some weight (like bar ends) in the tubes at the joint? As I am also interested in getting the givi bars, I would like to know if there is a solution to this vibration problem, other than keeping the revs above 6000 rpm. :lol:

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possible solution to vibration problem is to put lead shot in the cross over tube at the joint. This was a trick used by many cruiser riders to reduce vibration in handlebars. Cheap to try, may work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I hate to but in here, but it sounds like the guys who bought Givis should demand a refund and order the Motechs.

I would be pretty upset if I had a set of Givis and they vibrated so I had to add a bunch of weight or other shoddy fixes to make them they way they should be.

The last thing you want to do to this bike is start adding weight to compensate for a crappy design in a crash bar.

Send them back and tell them about this thread.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoa there Mr. The Twins. The Givi crash bars are the best of all the crash bars as far as I'm concerned. I have had no problems with vibrations caused or accentuated by the bars. If you would read a bit before wading in on the thread you will find that the people having the difficulty appear to have the 650's.

And as far as adding a bunch of weight, a few ounces of lead shot won't make much difference.....and even if it did it would be added to the front end of the bike where motorcycles need it for proper handling. (Ever wonder why the engineers are continually trying to get the motor closer to the front forks???? or were you aware of that??)

Why don't you wade in on the the thread where everyone is talking about raising their fork legs 10 to 20mm? (Again presumably to get more weight on the front end.) Now there's some problems really waiting to happen!

.....and if you want to discuss poorly designed items, let's talk about the MoTech center stand which allows the bike to roll off it with ease, causing a few owners some very embarassing moments, not to mention expensive.

I have read where some owners complain that the Suzuki center stand is extremely difficult to use (get the bike up on). All I can say is that my 5 foot tall, 100 pound soaking wet, wife can put my bike on the Suzuki center stand with ease. I guess not everyone is aware of proper technique when utilizing a center stand.

Okay, I'll come down off my soap box now..........'nuf said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem on my DL-1000.

The crashbars have been installed when I got the bike ( have if for about 9 months, done 18.000 km with it )

When hitting the 6.000rpm range, i have nasty virbrations all over the bike.

The bike is at the dealers now. We're considering removing ( i hope temporary ) the crashbars to see if the problem disappears.
If so, Givi has some explaining to do :-(

·
Registered
654 Posts
yukon42 said:
Whoa there Mr. The Twins. The Givi crash bars are the best of all the crash bars as far as I'm concerned. I have had no problems with vibrations caused or accentuated by the bars. If you would read a bit before wading in on the thread you will find that the people having the difficulty appear to have the 650's.

And as far as adding a bunch of weight, a few ounces of lead shot won't make much difference.....and even if it did it would be added to the front end of the bike where motorcycles need it for proper handling. (Ever wonder why the engineers are continually trying to get the motor closer to the front forks???? or were you aware of that??)
Must've hit a chord, I apologize for offending you.

You spoke of the Givis being the best crash bars out there - I am assuming you've tried all the other ones and did some independent testing, just like this fella did here:

http://vstrom.info/fom-serve/cache/13.html

Could you please share with us exactly how you arrive at your conclusion that the parts you purchased are the best? I'm not saying that with a grin, just wondering if you really did some crash testing or if you have some other data that the forum could use. Perhaps it is simply an opinion of yours.

When I spoke of adding mass to the bike, I was speaking in general terms, and trying to make the statement that adding mass, although a small amount, is still directionally incorrect. A proper modal analysis of the crash bars during the development phase would've revealed the problem present with the Givi design. Throwing mass at a bike to fix a 1st natural frequency ring in a poorly designed aftermarket part is hardly a proper fix.

I'm glad you're numb and happy with your Givis, and I am sorry that I offended you with my research and comments. Good luck and ride safe!!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Mr. The Twins, perhaps you should reread my post wherein I state in part "......as far as I'm concerned." We all have our opinions. Some people just can't cope with superior products like Givi produces. Most people out there would consider a Ferrari automobile inferior after driving one as most wouldn't be able to even come close to utilizing the machine remotely close to it's capabilities.

In short, you just can't protect the general public from themselves.

You utilize what works best for you and I'll utilize what works best for me. If you think that MoTech makes a great product then by all means utilize it, whenever you purchase a Vstrom. But don't go deriding a product on hearsey. Obviously not everyone has the same expertise when it comes to installing and utilizing products. Most leave it up to the local shop instead of taking the responsibility themselves :shock: . (The ol' I'll let them do it so I can complain later routine.)

So be my guest Mr. The Twins, purchase any accessory you wish. Make sure you don't miss out on the MoTech center stand.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Are you suggesting it may be the installation that can make or break the Givis? What do you think was done differently on your installation that has worked for you? I wonder what's going on with xlrider's bike that has it buzzing.

Thanks for the tip on the center stand - don't know why I would need one of those though, but I will keep it in mind. I prefer not to add mass to the bike unless it is either mission-critical or some form of armor.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TheTwins said:
Thanks for the tip on the center stand - don't know why I would need one of those though, but I will keep it in mind. I prefer not to add mass to the bike unless it is either mission-critical or some form of armor.
FYI - I weighed my Motech centerstand prior to installation and it was 8lbs (I forget the exact weight, it was a little over 8). The good thing is that the weight is placed low and helps add to a lower COG.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I HAVE THE GIVI CRASH BARS ON MY BIKE AND ALSO SUFFER FROM THE VIBRATION AT THE 5,300-5,500 RPM RANGE. I DON'T MIND THE VIBRATION MUCH BECAUSE I JUST POWER THROUGH IT. THIS WINTER I AM GOING TO DO SOME EXPERIMENTING WITH IT. I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHEN I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts