StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video has been making the round of many of the motorcycle forums I frequent:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4206826673549984946

It might have made it here too. Since this is really the only forum on this site I frequent regularly (multiple times daily :) ) I don't know. If has been posted elsewhere, then my apologies.

On ALL of the other forums, there've been some shocking statements made about who was at fault, and some liberal definitions of right-of-way laws.

Anyway. It's always made for interesting conversation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Pitifully poor riding....then target fixation by his mate.
Then a load of other goons just wearing T shirts!
Fools like that have no business on bikes....they give us all a bad name, put up our insurance premiums, and attract excessive police vigilance for the rest of us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh yeah, this caused a huge discussion on ADV. I find it amusing but not at the same time. The person who crashed, while I hope they're ok, was not a very good rider or incredibly distracted. Either case, they shouldn't have been riding the Gap.

People can choose to wear or not wear the safety gear - I personally wouldn't risk my own skin like that, and it's not as if I lose anything at all by having it on in the first place. But I can't help but hate that my insurance will possibly go up because of these incidents, and even worse (to my mind) - having to listen to one more non-rider tell me how dangerous it is to ride my bike and then tell me of an accident that proves that riding is bad. Blah. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Pete, let us know how you feel. Stop holding back. :lol:

Seriously though. Target fixation by both of them and excessive use of the rear brake by the first guy. Unfortunate thing.

I disagree with your statement that "Fools like that have no business on bikes". We all have the right to ride, I just wish some people would use their heads.

Pete said:
Fools like that have no business on bikes....they give us all a bad name, put up our insurance premiums, and attract excessive police vigilance for the rest of us.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Poor riding, poor avoidance reflexes. Mind you, he was driving a Harley and they do handle like a rock thrown with a catapult. They also have 1850 era brakes.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Heavy said:
Pete, let us know how you feel. Stop holding back. :lol:

Seriously though. Target fixation by both of them and excessive use of the rear brake by the first guy. Unfortunate thing.

I disagree with your statement that "Fools like that have no business on bikes". We all have the right to ride, I just wish some people would use their heads.

Pete said:
I agree with Heavy. We all have the freedom to make our choices...some good, some bad. I rode home from work today in my shirt sleeves. It was hot & humid as hell and I just didn't feel like putting on my jacket. Was it a wise decision? No, but it was my decision to make. Does it make me a goon? I don't think so.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That was kind of funny you could see the curve he crashed on from the curve before it. Plus that was a double yellow, its a good thing that sport bike was already past. Does it make you a goon no , but it just might make you a statistic, and a candidate for plastic surgury.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
That's got to be one of the dumbest looking things I've ever seen. Looks like he just panicked- fixated on the dropoff. He didn't even try to make the curve. This illustrates one of my main issues with the whole Harley thing. For most Harley folks I've known, it's more about having a Harley and being cool than it is about riding a motorcycle. I used to train these folks- never been on a bike in their lives, then at middle age, decide they want to buy a 700 lb. motorcycle and live a biker fantasy. Poor misguided souls. They used to look at me like I was an idiot when I would extoll the virtues of proper riding gear. Even so, I hope the guy wasn't seriously injured...

What strikes me as funny is the guy who keeps saying "they're gonna beat our asses". He's mistaking a bunch of posers for Hell's Angels or Outlaws or something. At least those guys can actually ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I happen to agree with the statement "Fools like that have no business on bikes". Our freedom to make choices extends only until it interferes with other people's right to safety and security. If he had mishandled that corner with someone walking on the shoulder, the video could have gotten a lot uglier.

(Gosh, I sound just like my father..;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
His line sucked but even with the bad line all he had to do was lean the bike some. Heck even though is buddy was target fixated and turned later he was still able to miss the cliff. No doubt poor riding.

I also agree we all have the right to ride but people should use common sense and not tackle a road as technical as the Dragon if they don't have the experience for it.

I also don't blame passing on the double yellow as contributing to the accident. There was no good reason he couldn't have made the curve. All you can do is shake your head.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
stromguy said:
What strikes me as funny is the guy who keeps saying "they're gonna beat our asses". He's mistaking a bunch of posers for Hell's Angels or Outlaws or something. At least those guys can actually ride.
+1

That whole video pretty much sums up my feelings towards H-D's and the posers who ride them. He couldn't have been going more than 45-55 MPH when he made that pass and even a Tugboat could have made that turn.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the bit that annoys me most is the fact that, though they're on Harleys, the non-riding part of the world doesn't differentiate one form of bike from another, and we're all tarnished by the image of this idiot.

Also, has anyone read the comments on the video site? Almost everyone of them are negative towards the operator(s) of the RV/Truck or whatever it was. It's like, "Ok, this fool is on a Harley, the folk in the truck should have done the decent thing, and imploded." I've ridden US-129 a LOT, and I can guarantee you those cruisers wouldn't have gotten out of the way. I'd even bet you money they sped up on the straights to ensure they weren't passed. Although, that's just speculation on my part, based on past experience.

Also, another argument I've seen frequently is why didn't the people in the truck stop? I, personally, don't feel they were obligated, especially considering the plethora (Ok, maybe not a plethora) of people stopping and running to check on their friend. It was probably safer that they kept going, and got their large vehicle out of the way --Especially for a bike coming up from behind. Another legitimate reason, for someone who doesn't know what they're looking at, for leaving was fear. The goons in the Barney-bad-ass attire have themselves to blame for that. You spend that many years cultivating an image, eventually people are going to take it at face value.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Ya. Bonehead. As for why he did not lean, take a look at his panners. He cant lean very far without scraping some of his nice chrome off.

Even though he was a moron, I still dont like the idea of the cage driver running off. Yes, he had plenty of buddy's around, but they were all on bikes! If his buddy was hurt bad, that SUV could of gotten him too help. The SUV had no obligation to stay since there was no contact, but still it would of been nice to offer help, even if he was a moron and deserving of a Darwin award. I just hope that if I go down, someone would stop to help me, and not fear me because I was on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Chanticleer said:
I happen to agree with the statement "Fools like that have no business on bikes". Our freedom to make choices extends only until it interferes with other people's right to safety and security
Spot on. Some people just shouldn't be on bikes because they're morons and a menace to everybody.
This notion of personal freedom is one thing, but if the end result is a tragedy involving innocent people then it's something else.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I'm actually more upset at those people in the car. They didn't even bother to turn around and see if the rider was OK. Maybe someone could have used a lift to the hospital or something.

T

·
0 Posts
BHazz said:
I'm actually more upset at those people in the car. They didn't even bother to turn around and see if the rider was OK. Maybe someone could have used a lift to the hospital or something.
yea, but judging by the slow rate they were driving, they were probably too scared by the whole situation anyway.

As for who's at fault...I think everyone can agree that the biker crossed a double solid yellow line (which are double solid for a reason) and that they didn't analyze the road too well and took the blind turn in opposing traffic. The car could have pulled to the side and let the bikers pass, however they legally have the right to travel at that speed.

I hate accidents, and other drivers :evil:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Even as technical as the Dragon is if you just ride it within your riding abilities it is safe. I had only been back on a bike for a few weeks when I went and rode it. But I knew I was not ready to go ripping through there like a dare devil. I just took my time and cruised through it had lunch and then came back over it to go home with no problems at all. And I know enough to stay away on weekends when everyone is off and up there trying to set a new time record. Ride Safe. 8)

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
The Blue Pilot said:
yea, but judging by the slow rate they were driving, they were probably too scared by the whole situation anyway...
Fear does cause people to run scared but they could have left a seriously injured or even dying rider just "hanging out in the wind". I learned to "never say never" but I hope I would have had the nerve to forget myself and deal with the emergency at hand.

It was a very dissapointing turn of events.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I remember correctly the shoulders on the Dragon are about 17 inches wide, somewhat narrower than the average SUV. That leaves the cage sitting in traffic if he stops. Nice thing about that is if he is heading toward the Deal's Gap store he can get help since no cell phone in the world works in there. :( In my eye blame all goes to the hog rider for passing on the double-yellow and then riding off the edge in the curve. Of course it really sucks to be stuck on the Dragon behind some twerp in a land yacht going nine miles an hour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts