StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tutoring a co-worker who's just learning to ride. I'm 52years old and he's a kid (21) with his first bike. I haven't crashed in 25 years, but can't brag no mo'...

We were on some twisties and he was about 1/4mi. behind me when I got a tad too aggressive on a tight curve. One second I'm practicing my superbike knee slider and the next I'm waving bye-bye to the bike as it slides on down the road just ahead of me. Once he got over the shock of coming around the bend to see me sliding on my kiester, we both had a good laugh at my new mount/dismount technique demo.

The reason I'm bothering to post this is to praise the equipment that helped minimize damage - it slid about 40ft on the left side then spiked into the dirt shoulder without flipping. The clutch lever and handlebar end weight bent but did not break, apparently due to the handquard absorbing most of the energy. The Windstrom shield, because of it's size, snapped the brace on the cowl but was itself undamaged. The shift lever will be replaced, along with a cracked left front signal housing.

There was no damage to body panels or engine, and I want to endorse the H-P crashbars and Givi luggage for that. They absorbed all the damage that could otherwise have been VERY costly to me. The crashbars are scratched but otherwise fine - no bending whatsoever. As for the Givi's, the lid popped open but latched again just fine after picking up the bike. I'm using Givi's mounts, and they also took the drop with no bending/deflection.

So much for the bike, now to me. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh summer jacket, some old and cheap SUG gloves, and a Schuberth helmet. The left glove was shredded, along with the cuff and elbow of the jacket. The helmet suffered no damage as I apparently kept my head off the turf as I passed by. After getting up and doing a quick inventory, the only thing I suffered was a short lived swelling on the back of my left hand. Feel fine tonight and put in a full day at work without a hitch.

Sorry to have gotten so wordy with all of this, but this is a plug for protecting yourselves as well as the machines - without engine guards, hard luggage, and personal protection this day would have turned out very differently.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Good grief, that could have been a real bad off. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic to meet or dodge. Glad you survived so well and the damage was minimal to the bike. Your gear paid for itself and owes you nothing. Thanks for the report. ATGATT.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dismout :( Glad to hear you are OK, and the bike is not damaged too bad. I'm around you in the quad cities and was wondering where you found twisties? Its flat around here minus right up next to the river. Next time I"m in peoria I'll give you a shout out.

Eric

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im gald your ok.
I feel better knowing that a person can take a fall
and have there self AND the bike come out not
much worce for were. Amazing.

I sort of with I had gotten hard
side cases now. LOL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeans? Yes. Again, minimal damage - I slid mostly on the left side/back, so the jacket and arm carried most of the load.

The hard cases were decided after trying the soft luggage first. Didn't care for the lack of security, but crash safety was also a factor, believe it or not... :)

The H-P should have read H-B, for Hepco-Becker - sorry 'bout that!

I also had to grin over the 'twisties in Illinois??' comments...we DO have them, but they're all on short roads - so we do a lot of u-turns :)

And yeah - I consider myself blessed not to have come out much worse. After weighing things very carefully, the official story to the wife was that I forgot to put the kickstand down - which is basically true...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts