StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for crash bars for my 1000k7. I have it down to two and not sure which one to go with. This may turn into a debate like which Strom is better, but here goes. The two I am looking at are the GIVI TN528 or the HEPCO BECKER. I have not read anything bad about either one and that is what makes the decision tough. Can the riders that own them tell me the good and bad points of each. I have never seen either if them in person so I have no knowledge of fit, finish, and most importantly protection. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I am looking for crash bars for my 1000k7. I have it down to two and not sure which one to go with. This may turn into a debate like which Strom is better, but here goes. The two I am looking at are the GIVI TN528 or the HEPCO BECKER. I have not read anything bad about either one and that is what makes the decision tough. Can the riders that own them tell me the good and bad points of each. I have never seen either if them in person so I have no knowledge of fit, finish, and most importantly protection. Thanks for any input.
The 1000 is better.......DOH! Sorry!

I've got the Givis. Easy install, no vibes and look great. Have paid for themselves as a result of three tip overs due to the idiot operating the side stand. :rolleyes: No marks on the bodywork at all. Easily touched up with Krylon Semi Gloss black rattle can. Haven't slid them down the road yet so I can't comment on that. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
961 Posts
HB protect higher and curve to match the bike.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I would go with Givi or Pat Walsh.

M

·
0 Posts
Here's a sub category for this debate...er...discussion. Which set of crash bars offers better access to the TBS screw?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with Givi or Pat Walsh.
Looked at the Pat Walsh. I want to be able to install a Adventure Motorstuff Skid Plate. The PW skid plate doesn't look like it would be good off road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
crashbars

another choice is SW Motech. I have read two types of comments:

1. from people who don't have them: "They don't look like they come up high enough"

2. from (some) people who do: "They work great"

so which is it? Those who have had tipovers with the SW Motech, do they work or not to protect $ plastic?

·
press any key to continue
124 Posts

1. from people who don't have them: "They don't look like they come up high enough"

so which is it? Those who have had tipovers with the SW Motech, do they work or not to protect $ plastic?
I have teh Motech's and unfortuantely I can confirm that they do protect the bike well. I skipped the front tire out at low speed. No scratches at all on anything other than the motechs, the handguard, and my side bag.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Had a tipover with SWM bars on my Wee and they didnt protect my bike worth a dam. Busted handguard, busted turn signal and lots of scrathes on the plastic faring. Guess it all depends on how lucky you are

The only reason they are still on is beause I plan on mounting highway pegs using them.

Wingman

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the Hepco unit on order after having looked at them all for quite a while. I went with the Hepco bars for 3 reasons: 1) they go higher on the body work which should help in the event of a spill, 2) they are made of 1" tubing vs. 7/8" which should make them a more stable base for highway pegs
(the real reason I am buying them), and 3) I like the fact that they use the engine mounting bracket bolts (25.5 lb-ft Tq) vs. the primary engine mounting nut itself (67.5 lb-ft Tq). My feeling is any longish bolt that goes thru the engine and has to be torqued to nearly 70 foot pounds (think BIG breaker bar) is a bolts that really wants to stay put. Any of them would likely be better in a fall than none. I figured tho, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right. From the one's I've seen installed, these things look plenty beefy. Down side: they cost a bit more and I am still waiting for them to show up.
Oh yea, and I have to learn to speak German since the directions only come that way. Then again, nobody said being excentric would be eazy.......

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Pat Walsh crash bars/skid plate

I recently put on the Pat Walsh crash bar/skid plate assembly (it's a package deal) and am happy with them. The skid plate is beefy and should protect things well. As for the crash bars, they mount within a 1/4 inch of the fairing, so they won't protect your turn signals. The HB bars look like they might protect better in that respect, but I doubt any setup will save the signals. I went for Pat Walsh for economic reasons. And, for the record, I found it necessary to remove the right-side bar (two bolts) for the TBS procedure. Not a big deal. You can also mount pegs/lights to them.

I plan on thrashing this bike, and it seemed the best route for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just looked at a picture of a Wee with the Motech's on it, and it didn't look like the guards came up past/above the plastic at all. Of course not having them on my bike I can't be sure, but I would think they would offer very limited protection to the plastic fairing next to the fuel tank.

These look like they might work. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/625/203/

-T

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
On a tip over, they keep the plastic off the ground. On a rollover, no guard will protect the plastic. Guards that come up higher will protect later into a partial roll.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
On a tip over, they keep the plastic off the ground. On a rollover, no guard will protect the plastic. Guards that come up higher will protect later into a partial roll.
The Hepco Beckers do a very good job protecting the plastic and turn signals in a driveway tip over. Three, maybe four times now....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Touratechs on my 04 DL1000 that the previous owner put on. He had a tip over and the only damage was a small scratch on the guard itself and scratch on the OEM Kappa hard case.

I never see anyone talking about the Touratechs but they came on the bike when I got it so I will not complain.

Russell

04 DL1000 "Robo"

·
Registered
200 Posts
I never see anyone talking about the Touratechs but they came on the bike when I got it so I will not complain.
Can you provide a link to the Touratechs you have? I went to their site but got the "phone book".
Not a very organized site.

-T

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Damn those are some pricey crash bars!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The guy that owned the bike before me apparently had no problem spending money on it. I added up about 2000 dollars of extras that he put on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts