StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm planning on ordering a skid-plate + crash-bars set shortly for my '05 Wee -- specifically the SW-Motech brand -- but I was just curious what the difference is between a skid-plate and a belly pan.

I'm assuming the belly pan just serves mostly to prevent smaller debris from hitting the exposed exhaust pipe/oil filter etc, but is there more purpose than that? Obviously the skid plate would be more durable should I happen to have a larger item like a rock bounce up into the area, but would it hold up in the event of say, riding over a tree branch, or if I were to hop a curb and somehow not quite clear it?

Also, from what I can see it seems the SW-Motech crash bars are the same model for anything from an '04-'11 Wee; can anyone confirm this? There appear to be two revisions, so I'm hoping the shop I'll be ordering from gets the newer one as it looks to be more sturdy. Might try to locate a used set if there's anything local to the GTA...

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I don't think you'll find much agreement or standardization of terms.

If you're planning on curbing the sump, you'll probably be disappointed no matter what you bolt to it. Any skid plate is only as good as its mounting, and there's really no good way to mount one on this bike, so they all have that as a weakness. This bike just really isn't built to be bashed around like that.

The beefiest one I've seen is the one I have, which is the Amotostuff version; it mounts fine to the old-style SW Motech bar.

If you plan to stay on pavement, you don't need to do anything to this bike (in my opinion). Lots of bikes have exposed oil filters, and they're not being disabled willy-nilly by road debris. A skid plate is a nice bit of insurance if you occasionally ride on rough terrain, but it's not going to turn the strom into a stump-jumper. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Look at Yan's stuff before you buy the SW Motech bash plate. His is more robust.

Belly pan = cosmetics. Bash plate = protection, though people will argue how much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I'm hoping to avoid slamming into any curbs or trees, lol :p But figured I'd ask just for curiosity's sake.

That said, I definitely see myself attempting some more off-road adventuring in the future, though hopefully nothing too crazy. Any protection I can add to the bike will be mostly for peace of mind, primarily the crash bars as I expect I may get myself into more sticky situations down the road.

BTW, how much do those bars/skid plate tend to weigh?

And who's Yan?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yan, also known as Narcosis Junky. His stuff is in our Stromtrooper Marketplace under Group Buys and Stromtrooper Inventors-Product Showcase. His stuff is pretty good. I have his bash pan and folding highway pegs. Have talked with him on the phone and found him to be a good guy as well as one making great stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts