StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading this thread where there are a lot of talk about added vibrations when using crash bars, I got inspired to start a thread about the subject.

My experience is that any crash bar on a V-Strom will add some vibrations to the bike.

My girlfriend ride a 2006 V-Strom with H&B crash bars and her bike vibrates a bit more with the bars than without - but not much, and only at certain rpm.

Before I fitted Givi crash bars to my 2012 V-Strom it was silky smooth at all rpm - with the bars on the bike I experience a bit more vibrations at certain rpm. The vibrations is not a problem in any way, it just adds a bit of character to the bike.

I have tried a 2012 with the OEM crash bars, and that bike vibrated significant more than any other V-Strom I've ridden - especially around 5000 rpm. I think it's because it's attached to the main engine bolt, in contrast to most other crash bars that uses the 4 smaller bolts that attach the engine bracket to the frame..?

It's not that a V-Strom with OEM crash bars will rattle your hands off the handle bars - in fact I believe that many people who haven't ridden a V-Strom before will not even consider the vibrations as a problem.

To minimize vibrations from any crash bars, it's important to mount them properly and use the correct torquing.

Because any tread is better with pictures, here is one with the two V-Strom's living in my garage (2006 with H&B and 2012 with Givi crash bars):

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2012 Adv. model with crash bars and do not notice this vibration, I have grip puppies on the grips......maybe I would notice a difference if I were to ride a wee that did not have bars on it. This bike just seems very
smooooooooooooooooth to me ! :hurray:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I mounted my GIVI engine guards, no excessive vibration issues a little vibration on engine guards between 4800 & 5000 rpms. Your assertion on the GIVI mounting points is correct, hence no excessive vibes. It's a V-Twinkie and this motor will have some vibration. Button everything down tight and go ride, then check it again after a few hundred miles. I bought a new bottle of locktite just for the Wee.:yesnod:

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same exact vibrations on mine with the AltRider crashbars at about 4800rpm. I'll admit, it's a minor vibration. I only notice it because at every other RPM it's vibration free. All bolts have been torqued to spec as well. I do plan on re-torquing everything again in a couple hundred miles. I'll report if that changes anything.

Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mounted my GIVI engine guards, no vibrations issues at all...none. Even after adding the driving lights. No issues, none. Your assertion on the GIVI mounting points is correct, hence no vibes.

So I would agree that poorly or improperly mounted/torqued engine guards could present a vib issue. My 02 cents and experience for what it's worth. I also used the new bolts that GIVI supplied with the engine guard. :yesnod:

and that's thread OP not tread. Cheers!

Smooth as butter here!
My Wee2 is also smooth as butter compared with all most any other bike even with the Givi crash bars installed - but it was marginally smoother without the bars.

The vibrations is not an issue in any way, more like a added bonus.
Like you I used the bolts supplied by Givi.

NB. Misspellings corrected - bear with me I'm Danish :mrgreen:

·
Registered
281 Posts
My Wee2 is also smooth as butter compared with all most any other bike even with the Givi crash bars installed - but it was marginally smoother without the bars.

The vibrations is not an issue in any way, more like a added bonus.
Like you I used the bolts supplied by Givi.

NB. Misspellings corrected - bear with me I'm Danish :mrgreen:
No worries brother! I may want to join you someday for some great riding. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same exact vibrations on mine with the AltRider crashbars at about 4800rpm. I'll admit, it's a minor vibration. I only notice it because at every other RPM it's vibration free. All bolts have been torqued to spec as well. I do plan on re-torquing everything again in a couple hundred miles. I'll report if that changes anything.

Mike
I just picked up my '12 ADV model from the dealer a couple days ago. The bike I had before this was a '06 Honda Shadow. I guess that since the strom is a smoother ride, I didn't notice the vibrations at first. After seeing several posts on this forum about the crash bars vibrating, I paid close attention to mine and found the same thing, right around 4,750- 5,000rpm. Re-torquing is worth a try and might help (since the extra pieces on the ADV model are put on at the dealership and may not have been carefully torqued).

But I got to thinking that since all these people are having the same problem at the same rpm, that it may be because it is just the "sweet spot" in the frequency range. I saw the MythBusters shake an entire bridge with Tesla's earthquake machine (Tesla's Earthquake Machine - YouTube) just by finding the "right" frequency. Maybe that is what we are finding here...? Just a thought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
But I got to thinking that since all these people are having the same problem at the same rpm, that it may be because it is just the "sweet spot" in the frequency range. I saw the MythBusters shake an entire bridge with Tesla's earthquake machine (Tesla's Earthquake Machine - YouTube) just by finding the "right" frequency. Maybe that is what we are finding here...? Just a thought.
Like a tuning fork.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was one of the ones that first started complaining about the vibrations and how buzzy the bike is. And yes for the most part it was in the 4600 to 4900 rpm range. Just seemed strange. Before I took mine off at the 600 mil check we re torqued every fastener on the bike and did a throttle body synch for good measure. It did not solve the issue. Then removed the bars and it totally eliminated that vibration and some of the buzz.

The bike is still buzzy just less so. Before removal the bike was good for maybe 50 miles and now with grip puppies and a cramp buster after about 90 miles my hands are pretty much done. Mine also vibrates through the pegs to the point my feet are actually uncomfortable long before my hands.

I now have 1200 miles on the bike and I am going to keep working on it but for now it will be my short range commute bike. It just is not a fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was one of the ones that first started complaining about the vibrations and how buzzy the bike is. And yes for the most part it was in the 4600 to 4900 rpm range. Just seemed strange. Before I took mine off at the 600 mil check we re torqued every fastener on the bike and did a throttle body synch for good measure. It did not solve the issue. Then removed the bars and it totally eliminated that vibration and some of the buzz.
The bike is still buzzy just less so. Before removal the bike was good for maybe 50 miles and now with grip puppies and a cramp buster after about 90 miles my hands are pretty much done. Mine also vibrates through the pegs to the point my feet are actually uncomfortable long before my hands.
I now have 1200 miles on the bike and I am going to keep working on it but for now it will be my short range commute bike. It just is not a fun bike to ride.

Wow! Sorry to hear of your vibe issues...I honestly can say minimal vibe issues so far between 4800 and 5000 rpms which can be expected with a v-twinkey, they are not vibe free bikes. Hopefully you will figure out what is causing the excessive vibes. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Wow! Sorry to hear of your vibe issues...I honestly can say no issues so far and I really like riding my new Wee. Hopefully you will figure out what is causing the excessive vibes. Keep us posted and good luck.
Thanks. I will get it figured out. I hope to find another 2012 around here local that I could ride to get a baseline on. The dealer was saying I might be overly sensitive and I just had to laugh coming off a Kaw ZRX with an inline 4 with the carbs out of synch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For the record I have a 2012 ADV model with the Suzuki crash bars. I have a pretty serious vibrtation at 4700-4800 rpm. It is a narrow band, but an rpm that I would tend to run in quite a bit. The bike is smooth to me at almost all other rpms. For perspective, at all rpms the mirrors are perfectly clear, but in the bad spot they become totally blurred.

Question: Is there anything one needs to know or be careful of when removing the crash bars? I don't want to remove a bolt and have the engine fall out :yikes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's not just vibration, that is the new power band tweaked into the Gladius engine on the 2012 Vstrom by the wizards of Suzuki. Embrace that buzz, use it to carve out new terrain, go where no man has gone before!!! BUT, remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For the record I have a 2012 ADV model with the Suzuki crash bars. I have a pretty serious vibrtation at 4700-4800 rpm. It is a narrow band, but an rpm that I would tend to run in quite a bit. The bike is smooth to me at almost all other rpms. For perspective, at all rpms the mirrors are perfectly clear, but in the bad spot they become totally blurred.

Question: Is there anything one needs to know or be careful of when removing the crash bars? I don't want to remove a bolt and have the engine fall out :yikes:
Be super careful when reinstalling the engine mounting bolts. If you strip the bolt or bung up/strip the hole opening where the bolt goes in your fun will have just started. Start the bolts by hand first. Do not tighten any of the bolts until you have all the bolts in place. Then tighten up and torque to proper specs. You may want to add a drop of locktite to the bolts. Someone else can chime in on removal of the adv engine guard. I have the GIVI engine guard which has a different mounting system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I posted about vibrations with the Suzuki crash bars, and have since taken them off and returned them. After taking the bars off, most of the vibration went away, however, if I put my left hand (bare, no glove) on the left side of the frame while accelerating up and down through the rpm range of 4000 to 5000 rpm, I can feel the same vibration. Without the bars its not bad, and it would be easy to live with. I think that by adding the bars, we are adding a "tuning fork" to the frame and amplifying the natural vibration of the engine at that rpm. Especially, the bars that attach to the engine bolt (OEM Suzuki bars). Perhaps the GIVI and H&B bars won't be as bad, as they only attach to the frame. I'll find out about the H&B bars, at the end of this week, when they get here.

Also, I'm pretty sure some of you have the vibration, but its so faint you don't notice it. And, due to variations in bike assembly and parts, some bikes are worst than others.:headbang:

Thanks to the OP for putting this thread up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts

Nothing will fall out. I've had my bolts in and out several times. Do what 1VStromNC said and you'll be fine. I'd almost bet you the vibrations go away when you remove the bars. It did for me, anyway. Big difference.

1 - 20 of 329 Posts