StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look at the various skid plates and crash bars available for the Wee. I'm leaning toward the Pat Walsh system, mainly because I like the fact that you don't have to remove or loosen the skid plate for oil changes and the crash bars are part of the whole system. I like the looks of the Motech bars, and I'm also interested in ease of installation as my mechanical skills are limited. I know this will probably open up a huge discussion, just looking for ideas on affordable, effective protection.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really like the Altrider bars I just got. Their skid plates are nice since the have a cutout so you don't have to take it off to change the oil. I went with one of Yann's aluminum skid plates so I could get his hwy pegs.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi, Highway pegs can be mounted on most all the Skid Plates, We we developed the SV Racing Parts, Skid Plates to for all models up to 2011 and for the 2012 DL650 and 2012 DL1000 I had them set up to bolt on various styles of Highway Pegs. We will bring out our own highway pegs soon as well,

I wanted to see Robust Strength, with ease of removal and replacement for maintenance or repair and super finish for longevity.

You can check them out at SVRacingParts.com

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
. I know this will probably open up a huge discussion.....
Probably not. That is because this topic has been discussed many times already.

A really helpful aid in doing research on products, such as what you are looking for, is to use the Search Dialog box near the top of the forum. It is "Google Powered".

In the box, enter the word "skid plate", and you will have hit a gold mine.

B.L.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Probably not. That is because this topic has been discussed many times already.

A really helpful aid in doing research on products, such as what you are looking for, is to use the Search Dialog box near the top of the forum. It is "Google Powered".

In the box, enter the word "skid plate", and you will have hit a gold mine.

B.L.
:iagree:

I just wish we stromtroopers had a proper Wiki along side the Google Search.
It could be a wonderfully organized mesh/network of topics that is constantly edited by stromtroopers for stromtroopers and moderated by some 'seniors'.
In that Wiki I can see a page Crash Bars leading to Alt Rider..etc .. etc you get it.

(EDIT: Vstrom.info is not Wiki, just a well organized forum)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Scorpion Skid plates are advertised on SV Racing, personally I waited almost 3 years for Scorpion to make them.

And they fit the Givi bars excellent.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like the looks of the Motech bars, and I'm also interested in ease of installation as my mechanical skills are limited.
The SW-Motech bars were arguably the easiest-to-install accessory on my Wee. If you're interested, I've got a write-up on my blog (Motorcycling the Last Frontier: Sw-Motech Crash Bar Installation). It was a simple enough install that I almost felt silly writing it up, but...

I also have the SW-Motech skidplate sitting in my garage; I'll be installing it just as soon as I finish a few other changes to the bike. Just looking over the skidplate and reading the instructions suggests it's going to be just about as easy to install as the crash bars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked for a skid plate forever...until I foiund Yann's powdercoated stainless model. It is pure artwork. I highly recommend it!:hurray:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I have the Givi crashbars and I love them. I was going around a quick left, wheels slid and I basically rode this big concrete "bank." The Givi bars definitely saved me from a broken leg. Pricewise, it's fair. They do tend to corrode a bit though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts