StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add the two items in the title to my 13, DL650, and I've been reading a lot of the old threads and posts.

Enduro Gardian is mentioned several times but I cannot find them using a Google search. I did find a link on the adventure rider forum but the website/page is gone. Is Yann out of business? Anyone have a link to the E-G website if they still exist?

I'm leaning toward Puig crash bars - because they seem to be strong and Revzila sells them for $170. Anyone have anything bad to say about these?

There are several mentions that Touratech crash bars offer great protection. Someone said (in a post I cannot find today, but I read it yesterday) that he crashed his bike with another brand that did not offer good protection. He changed to Touratech bars and is very happy because they extend farther up and out to protect the tank. Touratech told me they do not now offer bars for the 650. Did they once upon a time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Altrider crash bars and skid plate. Very substantial! I’ve put the skid plate to the test a few times, but haven’t really had a good test of the crash bars, other than just falling over in a gravel parking lot. They did their job then!

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
Yann is out of business due to health, also consider T-Rex bars as I believe hands down best for the money out there. For some reason their site isn't showing bars for 650's other than the 17/18...but I know that not to be true as several here have them for 1st and 2nd gen 650's.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Altrider crash bars and skid plate. Very substantial! I
Yann is out of business due to health, also consider T-Rex bars as I believe hands down best for the money out there.
Thank you for your replies. Neither of the two websites list engine guards/crash guards for a '13 DL650. I will call them tomrrow and ask. The T-rex looks better to me for a couple of reasons - it has that large plastic puck to help keep the bike's softer parts away from the ground, and the bar joining both sides is up high rather than down low. I think in a tip over or crash, the impact and thus most of the energy will hit the crash bars up high, and having a connection that joins both sides as close to the impact will reduce deformation (bending) of the guard.

The AltRider website has some pretty staggering prices (yes, for BMW bars) but if they don't offer one for the Suzi, it doesn't matter.

The Puig, that I was considering has the connection down low - not imho - a great enhancement to the strength of the system.

My goal here is to eliminate damage from drops (w/ the bike standing still). I don't plan on this happening but to my mind it is more likely than a crash. The damage from a crash will likely impact other parts of the bike that the engine guards do not protect. Feet hitting a oil slick at a gas station, gravel on concrete roads, potholes, etc, make stopping and dropping all the more likely, esp for a short guy like me.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
I contacted T-Rex and was informed they most certainly have crash bars for the previous year 650’s, their new website hasnt obviously been fully updated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can’t say I care for the looks of the T-Rex bars. The way they are going through the front end of the bike looks odd to me. I would buy my Givi’s again in a heartbeat, well made and dirt cheap when ordered direct from Europe.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the Touratech bash guard. I have never seen crash bars offered by them. I Givi crash bars. Both have taken substantial abuse and withstood it all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I also have the GIvi bars and a Givi skid plate. A good (bad?) high center probably would damage the 3mm thin aluminum, but I thought it would prevent flung stones and detritus from damaging the oil filter. Got both thru RevZilla and I would bet they have one for a '13.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Alt Rider crash bars are pricey. But they are made from one inch stainless steel and the joint is beefed up with a solid aluminum rod inserted into the tubing and four bolts. The skid plate seems to no longer be available except on their European site. I liked the way the front of the skid plate matched the shape of the bars and bolted into the aluminum rod. No straps or U bolts.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Love my alt rider crash bars..... You might enquire if they have any second's or blems.
I got $100 off on bars that look perfect to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts