StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking at this thread and was curious:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=545128

Why does no one go up higher with their crash bars like Givi does to cover more of the gas tank... I mean covering the lower half for offroad I can see that but what good are such low bars if the upper tank has no protection if the bike goes down and the handlebars do not stop the top edge of the tank hitting as well... gas tanks are not cheap, nor is repaintin gif you are OCD about havign sratches on your stroms paint...For me I will get Aerostich tank side bags using the crash bars as ways to keep bags from swinging and hitting the bike makes sence to me but I see so many low only bars that do not look like they will protect the tank at all. What gives?

S

·
0 Posts
Easier to get the plastic and tank off.
+1 on that! I have Givi bars and it's a PITA to get the plastics off when they're installed. One of the screws lies directly underneath the bars and is a bear to loosen, and it takes several minutes of jockeying once all the screws are out to actually free the plastic and remove it.

Every time I do it, I think I'll save time by not removing the bars first - and I think every time I'm probably wrong.

Never had any other bars installed, and (at the risk of jinxing myself) my bike has never been down to test the effectiveness of the Givi's either. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Speaking only for myself ... I wasn't concerned about the plastic; my goal was to make sure a minor drop was not a trip-ending event. The SW Motech bar protects the radiator, which is all I cared about. I wasn't willing to trade ease of maintenance for more coverage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I pull my tank off without touching cowlings or bars to do maintenance. These bikes do require very little of having to do that. Not sure way anyone would want to undress her all the way to change plugs and filter once in the blue moon?

By the way: familiarize yourself with replacement cost of the cowlings and you will likely become concerned to protect them.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The new SW Motech Ralley bars come up high like Givi (and they don't vibrate)
:thumbup:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Only issue I have with these is they no longer use that big center bolt form engine, they now sue those 4 smaller bolts. Which also means longer bar length of the crash guard which can actually mean more leverage to bend said bars. I got the older SW bars and have been debating on that upgrade for a while but its not top of my list.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've dropped both a 650 and 1000 on the old style motech bars. Both were almost from a complete stop. In both cases, the bars took all of the fall and protected all the plastic. I feel that this is the most you can expect from 'crash' bars, which really only do something in a tip over situation. Any crash at speed is going to cause some kind of damage.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I have the SW-Motech for twisted throttle and i really like them. They go up high like the givi but no vibration

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
By the way: familiarize yourself with replacement cost of the cowlings and you will likely become concerned to protect them.
It would take more than a minor tipover to damage the cowlings if you have the SW Motech bar. The angle is such that they protect plastic better than it appears.

Also, don't forget that if you have rear panniers, those racks (and bags, if they're tough) may serve as protection as well.

Fully dressed with Touratech panniers and SW Motech bars, nothing but metal is going to touch down in a minor tipover except maybe the turn signal, and even that survived my 0mph test. :)

I do almost all of my own work, including a lot of wiring in the early months of ownership, and I would have quickly tired of removing the Givi bar. I just don't think they're worth the trouble. YMMV; just one man's US $.02. That's why there are lots of options.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Then there are people like me who wear frame sliders and crash bars to complete the protection ensamble, visible in this picture. Frame sliders from SV Racing, bars by SW Motech.

Sorry to say, they have been crash tested, with extreme prejudice, in the dirt. The crash bars deformed but are easier and cheaper to replace than tank, radiator, or plastics. So they paid for themselves. The slider was quite scuffed but not damaged enough to require replacement. I believe the sliders took the brunt of the force. As a bonus, frame sliders on a V-Strom make really terrible highway pegs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like this is another one of those mixed review kind of things I have stirred up...seeing how SW Motech has now re-designed their crashbars I would dare say enough people must have raised the question I did at the start of this thread... I am curious about the them not using the top engine bolt...but I like the idea they elevated the area to cover the plastics better. Gives more alternatives to givi 'good stuff harsh price'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts