StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I want to loosen the mounting bolts on my 2011 dl650 Givi crash bars (on both sides of the frame) so I can pull out the center pin and hit it with some rtv to get rid of that annoying vibration. My question is are these actually the engine mounting bolts? Do I need to Block up the engine somehow when loosening these bolts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The engine is sufficiently supported by other fasteners. You don't need to block it up. If you use a torque wrench, the bolts need 16.5lb-ft, not the 25.5 in the service manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The SW Moteck instructions say to use the service manual torque unless there is no instruction then use 16.5 ft / lb. Which is it? I did mine to 25.5 ft/lb per the service manual.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
or get some alt-rider bars and forget about having to deal with vibration. sure they're expensive. but worth it.

and no, i don't work for them...

·
38,049 Posts
The SW Moteck instructions say to use the service manual torque unless there is no instruction then use 16.5 ft / lb. Which is it? I did mine to 25.5 ft/lb per the service manual.
The service manual is wrong. 16.5lb-ft is correct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cannot for the life of me remove the small bolts needed to install the SW Motech crash bars. Has anyone else had this problem? I am afraid of stripping the bolts (allen wrench). If anyone has any tips or tricks, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
38,049 Posts
Stick a soldering iron in the hex for a minute to heat the thread locker. If no joy, try another minute, etc..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I cannot for the life of me remove the small bolts needed to install the SW Motech crash bars. Has anyone else had this problem? I am afraid of stripping the bolts (allen wrench). If anyone has any tips or tricks, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Go buy a set of metric hex bit sockets.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'm getting charged 2 hours of labor to remove and reinstall new ones. Is that sound about right?
Think that's what ALL mechanics now charge no matter how little the job. I had a front bearing replaced on my truck, took the mechanic 15 minutes, I paid for two hours labor and parts, $195....... Didn't do it myself, was worried I could ruin the radiator....learned my lesson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts