StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I have the small givi 5L crash bar bags. Made very well, great construction. They are handy to add a bit more storage, but I would prefer 10L or larger. Considering I now have stacked 35 and 60L SW-Motech drybags, the additional litres of these bags doesn't do much for me, unless they are for big trips for gear that I would rarely need/use to avoid cramming it in other bags, maybe a tire repair kit.... haven't used them yet :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I can, but it depends on how much of a DIY guy you are. I bought a couple M40 Gas Mask Carriers at a surplus store and reworked them into crash bar bags. When they were on the V-Strom, they looked like this:

They had full length velcro on the flap, so they stayed closed. I just cut all the straps off and added some two sided velcro tape on the back of the bags, positioned so it would wrap around the crash bars. I sewed a nylon webbing handle to the top of the bag, so it was easy to carry. They were dirt cheap when I bought them (maybe six bucks each, it's been a while). The nylon is really heavy duty, and these things wear like iron.

Eventually I got a new bike, and reworked the bags to fit that one. I got rid of the velcro closure, and sewed some straps with quick release buckles to them. I had to move the velcro straps around on the back to fit the new crash bars. Now, they look like this:

They were even black for a while, when I used some Krylon Fusion paint on them. That stuff was supposed to work on nylon, but the results were less than satisfactory, so I washed them about five times and got rid of most of the paint.

Alternately, you can find a lot of choices for potential crash bar bags if you look for front panniers that touring bicyclists attach the front forks of their bikes. A lot of them are sized just right for crash bar bags.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I use crash bar bags to carry the stuff I hope I never need. Air compressor, JB Weld, zip ties and lots more.
These bags are meant for bicycle frames. They are called "Triangle Bags".
I have the OEM crash bars and it was easy to pick the bags that fit right into the space. About $12 USD.

Attachments

Reactions: V-Harry and Webfors

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Search for BlackIBags:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackiBags?ref=l2-shop-info-avatar

I have my heavy tools and tire plug/ compressor kit in there. They are model/ crash bar type specific.

EDIT: Mine are 2014 V2 OEM crash bars. They were the prototype he made based on my template.

They have waterproof zipper and fabric but are not watertight I think. I have the contents in additional plastic bags and had no issues with the contents being wet or soggy when I need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Look into bicycle touring bags. They'll be easily fitted to crash bars and will be waterproof. The only concern you might have is how they'll stand up to 70mph winds vs ... whatever slow speed bikes travel as. But it shouldn't be much of a concern.

Google "bicycle front panniers" or click HERE.

Alexi

Reactions: Stalky Tracker

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look into bicycle touring bags. They'll be easily fitted to crash bars and will be waterproof. The only concern you might have is how they'll stand up to 70mph winds vs ... whatever slow speed bikes travel as. But it shouldn't be much of a concern.

Google "bicycle front panniers" or click HERE.

Alexi
I don't know about the slow bicycle part, I've seen how fast some of them crazy mofo's take the downhill on the Cabot Trail ;P haha

·
Registered
502 Posts
I used the SW Motech small dry bags. My problem is that I need to create a backing plate to install on the bars, which will have slots in it to accept the bag straps.

I bought a small sheet of black plastic / kitchen cutting board plastic and will design something from that. I want to remove them for local travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have BlackIBags off of Etsy as well. OEM crash bars. I installed a dual USB/voltmeter socket on the right side of the "dash" and keep my phone and Kindle charging in the right side bag on trips. National parks pass on the left side with a flashlight and candy. Need my sugar. Can access when on the bike. Had to waterproof them but very handy bags!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
If it weren't for the shipping, these are dirt cheap for real dry bags for the crash bars. Even with shipping they're less than $80 (at today's exchange rate :grin2:), which is less than most other bags before shipping. They have lots of other dry bag products as well, including paniers that are REALLY inexpensive. They started in marine luggage so are good at waterproof. :thumbup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here we go again...
Please don't feed the troll.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
How much stuff do you guys need to carry with you?
If you think a tire plug kit and compressor and a breaker bar with socket to adjust the chain tension are excessive, well then we are all happy about your very helpful and useful comment >:)>:)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts