StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a new stator in hand, took stator cover off and found my magnets had not only come loose but they were in pieces !
its a 2002 DL1000 WHERE CAN I FIND THEM ???? Ive not seen any listed only the complete flywheel which is expensive........Ive heard that models after 2003 had more magnets ? Can I use a later model flywheel IF I have to go that route ?
U guys have been great with the help for a ole timer with recent V-Strom in the corral ;)

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Same thing happened to mine. Had to buy a brand new flywheel.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Well, I am not positive but I think this is the first case of 2002 magnets coming loose!
Gonna be very hard to find replacements as the failure rate of the 4 magnet 2002 rotor is very low.
Beyond shopping for a salvage part....probably going to have to go new.
I don't know about swapping to the 2003 and later. The stator is different too. Physically it could be done as far as I can picture in my mind, but it may not save any money either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am not positive but I think this is the first case of 2002 magnets coming loose!
Gonna be very hard to find replacements as the failure rate of the 4 magnet 2002 rotor is very low.
Beyond shopping for a salvage part....probably going to have to go new.
I don't know about swapping to the 2003 and later. The stator is different too. Physically it could be done as far as I can picture in my mind, but it may not save any money either.
Well not sure its the original engine, number on engine doesnt match up to VIN but they may not from factory ? Appears to have been 3 magnets from what I can piece together with the left overs but could be 4

·
5,802 Posts
I don't think the engine sequence number is same as the VIN number. The 2002 had 4 magnets, 2003-12 had 6. The 2014 and newer rotor won't fit. SV 1000 rotors won't work either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the engine sequence number is same as the VIN number. The 2002 had 4 magnets, 2003-12 had 6. The 2014 and newer rotor won't fit. SV 1000 rotors won't work either.
THANKS like u I cant picture why the flywheels and stators up to 2012 would not work as long as u had proper clearance between stator and magnets.....from what I see all the stators are 3 wire
My mind is churning trying to figure a way to mount a automotive alternator LOL
THIS DAMN THING IS GETTING EXPENSIVE !

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
yep Im considering that ------gonna strain the oil that came out and cut open the oil filter
anyone swapped a SBC into a v-strom LOL
Didn’t mean to scare you. Many here have had this happen and I have never heard of it taking out an engine. I would do the same as you and go ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn’t mean to scare you. Many here have had this happen and I have never heard of it taking out an engine. I would do the same as you and go ride.
Well drained the engine oil and strained it thru a fine paint strainer, no signs of debris ---same after I cut the oil filter apart, run a flexible magnet into the sump and no surprizes there ! Ive been a auto mech for 40 of my 70 years so Im totally surprized ! Only thing I can figure is there was enough magnetic pull to keep it all trapped around what was left of the magnets and stator.......now to find a flywheel LOL

·
5,802 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of that, it brought back memories of a small project of mine:

HIGH OUTPUT CHARGING SYSTEM
Terry, COLOR MY 70 year ole butt IMPRESSED ! We used to run alternators backwards on our drag cars because of space concerns,alternators dont care which direction they turn-----other racers would see our setup and comment "thats gonna discharge your battery" I would smugly comment "no, we run our engines backwards" LOL

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Well drained the engine oil and strained it thru a fine paint strainer, no signs of debris ---same after I cut the oil filter apart, run a flexible magnet into the sump and no surprizes there ! Ive been a auto mech for 40 of my 70 years so Im totally surprized ! Only thing I can figure is there was enough magnetic pull to keep it all trapped around what was left of the magnets and stator.......now to find a flywheel LOL
The magnet bits will likely be in a recess of the pan. As I recall I was able to reach down into it with a finger when the flywheel was off and work on digging out most of the pieces.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Agree. Never heard of this on '02 engines. Is there any way - apart from the four magnet rotor - that we can positively identify this as an '02 engine, and not a later engine put into an '02 frame for instance?

@griz1953 can you post some pictures of the rotor/flywheel? And how does your stator look?

·
Registered
525 Posts
@whipit may be able to help you with used parts. No certain, but worth a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agree. Never heard of this on '02 engines. Is there any way - apart from the four magnet rotor - that we can positively identify this as an '02 engine, and not a later engine put into an '02 frame for instance?

@griz1953 can you post some pictures of the rotor/flywheel? And how does your stator look?
The stator was caked with magnet debris but saw no signs of it being "roasted", stator ohm tested bad when tested before disassembly ( reason I had one on hand) after teardown I removed the old stator and cleaned it up and it tested ok ????? I myself question history of the engine and year model.....got this bike on a trade and the PO only had it month so I know NO history ! Shows 54000 but no clue if its correct. Normal wear on the bike but cant vouch for maintaince, stator cover has been off before as I found sealer on the gasket. No sludge in the engine that I can find and no metal shavings :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's definitely an '02 rotor. And some of the worst damage I've ever seen on any DL1000 rotor.

If the stator cover has been off before, maybe somebody repaired a previously failed stator with a wrong part, and there was insufficient clearance?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's definitely an '02 rotor. And some of the worst damage I've ever seen on any DL1000 rotor.

If the stator cover has been off before, maybe somebody repaired a previously failed stator with a wrong part, and there was insufficient clearance?
no way to check clearance after that damage LOL
all the rotors Ive found are listed 2002-2006 or so with the six magnets, I see to reason the number of magnets would make a great difference ?? Anyone know for sure ?? Could not find any physical damage to stator after I cleaned it up, Im thinking all the gunk from the magnets in it was giving me had ohm tests when I checked it before disassembly

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 02 Model DL1000 and have replaced two stators over time. My magnets are rock solid (touch wood) but all the research I did showed that this rotor and stator are unique to the 02 / 03. I doubt that later model rotors would fit the stator. I suspect that it's either a wrecker or a new rotor. A second hand one should be good as the four magnet rotors are almost unknown to fail ( yours is the first one I have heard of).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts