StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm guessing our crankcase has a hose connected to the sir box to vent I also believe that this is where oil goes out at high rpm so if one was to put a longer hose on with a couple loops wouldn't that help reduce oil making it to the intake system

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm thinking not, it would collect in the loops and eventually get sucked up anyway. What might be a good idea is a catch can like they use on some pickups. OR maybe a collection bottle. New idea for a chain oiler?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There are two hoses, Somebody put a compressor hose type oil separator on each hose. That determined for a fact that high speeds were causing oil loss through the breather hoses. There is a lot of air and a little oil vapor. Coiling a longer hose isn't going to make much difference.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I'm thinking more of a one way valve ;). Running the engine under a vacuum is good for a couple of ponies ... the only thing restraining me is the occasional water crossing.

Making the hose longer is a bad idea, water vapor will condense and end up in the crankcase.

Pete

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
There some AUstralian bloke that will sell you a kit to run the crank under vacuum.

Back in the drag days we just ran the crank hose out the back in the collector or blowing out near the chain for auto oiler

If you spun the venting air and slung the oil droplets to the outside they could run down the sides of the tube.

It spring ride the thing

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,310 Posts
If oil loss through the crankcase/airbox vent system was a big deal, which it really is not, you could design a set of metal baffles in the crankcase to make it harder for the oil vapor to escape with the air movement. Or mount a petcock/hose assembly at the lowest point of the airbox and drain it occasionally. That would be neater and lighter than installing the oil separators on each line. But, I don't think anyone is actually losing copious amounts of oil anyway. Some may be worse. My Son and I went 3400 miles last year on a '12 with 16t sprocket and an '04 with stock gearing and oil level was where it was when we left. At least 1600 miles of that was 75 mph ( actual ) cruising speed.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,310 Posts
you're stressing the motor out when you run at high rpm's. sure sign of that is getting blow by. take it EZ, its only 650cc's.
--------------------------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly

There are a lot more DL 650's with over 100,000 trouble free miles than there are DL 1000's with over 100,000 trouble free miles.......

Besides, you stress to never run your engine under 4,000 rpms. So if I am running my 650 at 5,000 rpm all day isn't that what you are recommending? Which is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts