StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change my air filter, last time I changed it was about 10000km ago.
Was unpleasantly surprised to see the inside of the airbox covered with small black particles.
The crankcase breather filter almost completely disinigrated and was sucked in through the engine.
My fault for not changing it and checking on it more often.

Took the airbox off, cleaned it, blew it out with compressed air. Also took the throttle bode off and cleaned it as well.

The engine runs fine. Anything I should be worried about?

Ordered a new breather filter, but it's gonna take some time to arrive.

Is it ok to ride the bike without the breather filter?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Fairly typical, There are a lot of fixes. I used a stainless steel scourer, others have used mower air filters cut down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairly typical, There are a lot of fixes. I used a stainless steel scourer, others have used mower air filters cut down.
Scourer like on the picture?
Just jam it in?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Yup, you'll have the old ladies shouting no no bits will get sucked into the engine. In which case my 2012 DL650 must like it because it has 130,000k's on the clock.

Obviously make sure it isn't soap impregnated and doesn't have dangly bits hanging out the bottom but it's worked well for me.

And the reason I used that, is that what comes up is oil mist and you REALLY want it to condense on the filter material and run back down. Much better odds with the stainless scourer that anything else I could think of.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would go as far to recommend replacing the crankcase breather every time your air filter is replaced.

From my experience, degreasing the breather is insufficient. Need replacement.

I had previously degreased the breather with royal purple due to laying down the bike thinking that it should do the job. Nope. My oil continued to disapear at a rate of 1/2 qt of oil per tankful.

With that experience, all I will use is OEM from Suzuki. get it for 15.00 shipped to your house. Not worth taking a risk with lawn mower filter or scouring pad.

Once I replaced the breather with a new OEM from Suzuki, the oil has stopped disapearing.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Watch the SS and copper scrubbies. Some of them are just coated high carbon steel and will rust in short order. Do a magnet test to make sure you get want you then you are getting.

In the home distilling world (so I've heard) it is common to use pot scrubbers in the tower/column in lieu of raschig rings on a reflux still. This adds surface area to the column for a cleaner final product. Lots of folks have found out the hard way after leaving the scrubbers in the column after a run and over night they came back to a rust mess.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I bought my 08 a few months back we went thru it to check everything out and I found the same stuff you did in the filter box but had no idea what it was. Guess I need to remove the tank and fix the filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts