StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the crank case breather hoses form the air box?
I was thinking about blocking off the air box and using a K&N filter on the ends of each breather hose"

This would keep the oil out of the intake system and also my bike consumes a little oil when I run at high RPMS for an extended length of time.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts here....If you're getting excessive oil in the air box you may be over filling your oil or have other problems. Many guys with HD's use a similar system, but with an oil capture vessel of sorts before the filter. The HD's have an external vertically mounted filter that can drip oil on the chrome or ones leg though. Does the 650 use two breathers?. I haven't looked at our 650, but our 1000 has only one breather mounted at the front of the air box. The other hoses relate to the PAR system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 650 has two breather tubes.

On a side note I changed form Rotella syn to Rotella T today and did a long hard ride and did not use any oil. (I belive the syn 5-40) was getting asperated at prolonged high RPMs and the 15-40 dino oil is not. Atleast for now. I will hold off on the mods and see how new oil works for me.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Why do you think oil in the intake system is a problem? It's not hurting a thing.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I tried 20W-50 on the last long trip I did last year. At speeds over 70mph, especially in hot weather, my bike uses whatever oil it is running. At 65 and under, nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you think oil in the intake system is a problem? It's not hurting a thing.
One problem I can think of is having too carry extra oil on a multi day ride.

I tried 20W-50 on the last long trip I did last year. At speeds over 70mph, especially in hot weather, my bike uses whatever oil it is running. At 65 and under, nothing.

Very similar to what mine is doing. To early to tell if the chage in oil will make a differance for me, but todays ride looked promising.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am putting this on the back burner. Did a 425 mile ride yesterday and did not use any oil (I will be sticking wiht the Rotella T 15-40 non-syn)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts