StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be travelling for several months to a few jobs and want to take the Wee. For limited space, security and safety I don't want to use ramps to load and unload off of my flatbed truck. Any advice on the best lift point (s) using straps to hoist the gem with a crane or backhoe.

My first thoughts are two straps, one from center of handlebar, the other from the rear rack. Second idea is a single strap from below just in front of the center stand.

???????????????

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Between the handlebar clamps may be okay for that end.
I WOULD NOT lift the rear by the grab bars/package rack.

I'm not sure where I'd pick the back end up at...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Hope this helps:

BTW, the bike was considered a total loss.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Um, well, how 'bout the bottom? Place the bike on the side/center stand and run your straps under the main frame/engine area. Stablize with a fore/aft strap to the steering head and luggage rack to stop it from tipping, but carry the weight from a main strap under the center of the bike...?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, well, how 'bout the bottom? Place the bike on the side/center stand and run your straps under the main frame/engine area. Stablize with a fore/aft strap to the steering head and luggage rack to stop it from tipping, but carry the weight from a main strap under the center of the bike...?
Thanks BillZ and StrominNorman for the photos. Your third photo gave me the idea to lift at steering head with second strap through the rear wheel.

I am a little surprised to find out a silver Wee could be totalled. I KNEW they were faster, got better MPG, less buffeting and actually didn't look as ridiculous. I also THOUGHT they were invincible!

BTW, I happen to have a silver K9:hurray:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Thanks BillZ and StrominNorman for the photos. Your third photo gave me the idea to lift at steering head with second strap through the rear wheel.

I am a little surprised to find out a silver Wee could be totalled. I KNEW they were faster, got better MPG, less buffeting and actually didn't look as ridiculous. I also THOUGHT they were invincible!

BTW, I happen to have a silver K9:hurray:
It's amazing what a speeding Cadillac can do. The frame was cracked, the swingarm bent and every piece of bodywork needed replacing.

I think if you grab by the steering head and loop through the back wheel with a spreader to protect the body work it should be okay.

They did lift by the grab rail, but they knew before they hoisted it that it would be totalled.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's amazing what a speeding Cadillac can do. The frame was cracked, the swingarm bent and every piece of bodywork needed replacing.

I think if you grab by the steering head and loop through the back wheel with a spreader to protect the body work it should be okay.

They did lift by the grab rail, but they knew before they hoisted it that it would be totalled.
Thanks again, fabricating a spreader bar with some carpeting should work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To lift the rear, why not use a couple of spools pieces at the rear axle. These are made to lift the weight of the bike on the rear using paddock stands.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
To lift the rear, why not use a couple of spools pieces at the rear axle. These are made to lift the weight of the bike on the rear using paddock stands.
I would think thats a little low relative to center of gravity for hoisting.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
take seat off

remove seat and sling under top frame?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If you run nylon straps through the wheels, will they lift without the straps chafing or bearing on anything fragile?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will take all these ideas and see which is easiest with as little extra gear as possible............ and then post pictures in action, probably next week. Thanks again

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Video it it if you can.

Just don't jinx it by saying, "Hey Bubba, watch this!"

·
Registered
340 Posts
Been there done this, craned a bunch of bikes onto a boat once. take strap 1 and run it down through fairing opening, through wheel, and back up through fairing opening keep behind handle bars. Strap 2 put through the rear wheel and run up by muffler(s). They used an adjustable bar to attach to and then hooked the crane to that bar for balance but if you have the right length straps (adjustable) you could work out balance. Use wide straps thin ones can put to much pressure in one spot and lead to dents. The load master (?) of the boat said that's the only way to load bikes safely, since the wheels and axles are the only thing the manufactures commonly expect to take the wait of the entire bike. I was on an enduro at the time so no biggie there but one of the guys had a big bike (not sure what type) but they used a block of wood with notches out of it to keep the strap from crushing plastics in the back.

I am sure there are better ways to skin a cat, but 20+ bikes went on and 20+ bikes went off with no damage to any of them from craning, the riding of them home, well that's a different story.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Just scoop it up in the front-loader and dump it in the truck. These are "adventure bikes," you're not supposed to baby them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Video it it if you can.

Just don't jinx it by saying, "Hey Bubba, watch this!"

So I guess I will begin by saying, ".....do not attempt this at home, I am a trained professional........" employing the opinions of more than a dozen people and one person with experience in the matter!:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
they used a block of wood with notches out of it to keep the strap from crushing plastics in the back.
That's the spreader.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry Stormin

Didn't realize you had mentioned that, didn't mean to step on toes.:oops:

Just restating every detail I could remember and transferring it to this scenario.:bom_thinking:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Sorry Stormin

Didn't realize you had mentioned that, didn't mean to step on toes.:oops:

Just restating every detail I could remember and transferring it to this scenario.:bom_thinking:
No, I just wanted to mention it for calrity.

It's rigging jargon that I used in a previous post, I just thought you illustrated its use nicely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts