StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
such a simple little thing and works so awesome, just did about 200 klms with this thing and no numbness in the hand at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you like that find the thread on a Throttle Lock - you will really love that.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
A Crampbuster goes on every bike I own. I also add a throttle lock. Bliss...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Which version of the crampbuster did you get, the standard one or the one that is much wider?? Does anyone have experience with both of them and have a preference??

·
Registered
514 Posts
I bought two of them a while back, the wide and standard sizes. I used the wide one on the throttle grip and standard on the left. I like the standard on the left (it's still there everytime I ride). I like the wide on the throttle but I think it depends on the bike/load. On my wife and I's trip last summer it worked great as long as I was running around 65 mph. When I hit the higher speed limits I found I had to move it up a little so I could actually use it. Then when I went into town at the much lower speeds I had to really be careful of where the position was. I have the wee so the vee would probably be a better match on the highway with a fully loaded two up bike and not having to monkey around with it. I ended up taking it off the rest of the trip since it became a headache.

The standard on the left I like on all the time. For me, for some reason, it let's me rest the outer palm of the hand and made it more comfortable.

YMMW...:beatnik:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can it be used with the stock handguards or does it have to go on over the throttle end?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
such a simple little thing and works so awesome, just did about 200 klms with this thing and no numbness in the hand at all.

Wait till you get into an emergency situation and your hand hits the crampbuster and gives you a big hand full of throttle exactly when you don't need it.
Those things are potential death traps imo.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Pretty much EVERYTHING is, when you think about it.....[Isn't that what the general public thinks of motorcycles? DEATH TRAPS!]

I really like mine! And I use it with the stock Suzuki handguards on me Wee. My version has a little velcro strap thing that helps keep it in place, It took me a few tries to find the sweet spot. I'd not go on a ride without it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Better one than the other

LOVED the crampbuster on my old Seca II, but couldn't stand it on the BMW.

Go figure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
just picked one up to try out on the Wee. will give it a try some where quiet and out of the way.

had something similar for the ATV but took it off soon after it was installed because it was to easy to hit by mistake while steering the bike.

the one for the Wee was a cheap investment ($12) so if it doesn't work for me then no big loss.

(edit: the one i got is the "throttle rocker" which is secured with a velcro strap)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Crampbuster is paddle with 3/4 round cylinder made of molded plastic. It snaps over the throttle grip and uses the friction generated by putting pressure on it to hold the throttle. Adjustment is easily accomplished by rotating it in the opposite direction. (functions somewhat like a strap wrench). It comes in wide and narrow, large and small diameter. It snaps right over the grip in 1 second, no problem even with hand guards.

Throttle rocker uses a velcro strap which is tightened around the throttle. I do not think it can be adjusted on the fly (unless you are some kind of stunt rider).

I have the wide Crampbuster in the larger diameter which seems to fit well with my grip puppies. I like the Crampbuster over the Throttle rocker because it can be adjusted on the fly. Just pull the clutch and rotate it backwards a bit to get more leverage if you need it. Rotate it further around until it is pointing down to move it out of the way for around town use. The wide paddle gives a nice big area to distribute pressure over the right side of the palm.

It's cheap ($10.95) and it works well. I can't imagine being on the highway very long without it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just came from a, exactly 1162 mile trip on my Wee with some buddies. I tell you, I would not even imagine doing this without my Crampbuster.

Someone said "best $10 spent" and I can just say "+1" to that!

I have it on the bike, always. It is a natural part of the bike for me now. I do beleive that people that are afraid of Crampbuster use it incorrectly. I put it on in the way that when relaxed and I am not twisting the throttle, the Crampbuster "paddle" is not in contact with my palm, so when I roll on the throttle (on the highway) and want a few seconds of position change on my right hand, I need to make an effort to press the crampbuster with either side of my palm or my thumb.

That way, I can not give it "extra throttle" if not intended as throttle control is not really changed.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wait till you get into an emergency situation and your hand hits the crampbuster and gives you a big hand full of throttle exactly when you don't need it.
This has never been a problem for me. It takes a little while to find the "sweet spot" for it where it is never engaged unless I make a deliberate decision to use it. Once I have found that "sweet spot" I can return it to that positon easily if it slips. And if is does slip, it always slips downward to where I can't get to it with my hand and it requires me to rotate it around to get it back to the spot I want it. I have never felt as if I could have a "big handful of throttle" by accident.

If you had this sort of problem with one, I would think that you did not have it in the right spot IMHO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought a "crampbuster wide" like ten years ago, and my advice is to install a throttle-locking device like a vista cruise. They cost about $30 and mine came installed on my used V-Strom :mrgreen:

A throttle locking device doesn't fully lock your throttle, it creates friction, making your throttle stick open, allowing easier maintenance of constant throttle position. Theoretically it could be dangerous, like that urban legend about the guy who bought a new RV, turned on Cruise Control, and went into the back to make himself a drink. You can immediately close or crack open the throttle to any throttle position your wrist can bend to, unlike the crampbuster which, when adjusted on a smaller CC bike going at interstate speeds, would be ANGLED UP when you are braking, preventing you from getting the best grip on the handlebars. In this situation you could be in danger. You can't squeese the bar tighter because the crampbuster will apply the throttle if you do. It could limit your braking ability.

I've used my crampbuster on a GSXR, SV, and on a 1300 mile ride on my old KLR 250, but my V-Strom has a vista cruise, and that thing works much better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've used the older version of the throttle rocker (attaches just like the cramp buster) and now the cramp buster for something like 40k miles. Once set up right I've had zero problems with them and wouldn't ride any distance without one.

For me any of the throttle locks is a poor substitute. Might be ok if you live somewhere like FL with mostly flat land.

Bill H.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I had to trim my stock one down so it'd rotate past the hand guard and brake lever, that pretty much eliminated any chance if it getting stuck in say a jacket arm.

The risks aren't that bad, I put it on a week before a long trip, hit the tightest twisties I could find with it on - no major problems. Spent the week commuting with it in "idle" position - pointing down - again no problems.

6000km trip - and yeah, sold. No problems at all - yes you COULD have problems but it's quick to adapt to. Still on the bike, mostly it lives in the "idle" state - gets kicked into life on the long straight stretches getting to somewhere interesting, gets flicked back down when I hit a town or anything else "interesting".

I'm sure you could kill yourself riding 11/10ths on a winding road with one active :) - but other than that is good.

I'd rate it as less dangerous than a friction lock (which I've also used), mainly because if you take your hand off the throttle you WILL slow down - for some that may not be a plus, for me it is.

Pete

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bw, when I'm using mine, my wrist is slightly angled down when it's resting on the "buster", so you can twist the throttle normally without resting on it.

Bill H.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts