StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First up, I did search but could not find the answer I am looking for, and apologise in advance if I missed it. I found a lot of posts about cracking tires with the cracks between the tread blocks. My issue is different.

While removing the front for some suspension work this weekend I noted I have lots of small cracks on the tread blocks of the front tire (none between them though).

Here are the answers to questions people seem to always ask:
- Age - the tires were made in 2009 (week 20 and 12 respectively)
- Brand - Bridgestone Battlax BT020
- Pressure - 36psi as recommended by tire shop I fitted it at
- Wear - I have had them on the bike for about 9 months during which I have done around 12,000km.

Do I need to worry about it. Thinking of replacing them with Pilot Raod 3's anyway before our winter (wet season starts). The back has had a nail in it for a while, but is not leaking. Think it may be time just to be safe, and would not like to replace tires in the middle of rain season.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They are cracks from dry-rot, 2009 is a long time ago for a tire, that's a little over 3 years, between that and driving over diesel, grease, antifreeze and who knows what else, the oils in your tire have been sucked out. Just get a new set and go with it. My front tire has quite a bit of tread left, but was sitting for a long time and has cracks on the tread, so I just bought a new front to replace it. Better safe then sorry, personally don't care if I have a tire blow out on my 280z, but on my bike..... won't be risking it

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts