StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed that my one season old Shinko 705 rear tire has cracks at the bases of all the lugs. This is a radial tire purchased in Canada.

I have been advised by the Canadian importer that the warranty is 180 days.

Has anyone had issues with cracking on the 705 radials?
Were you able to get any warranty service from Shinko?

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
I just noticed that my one season old Shinko 705 rear tire has cracks at the bases of all the lugs. This is a radial tire purchased in Canada.

I have been advised by the Canadian imported that the warranty is 180 days.

Has anyone had issues with cracking on the 705 radials?
Were you able to get any warranty service from Shinko?
Pictures here would be nice.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
Most any tire with a block type tread, and a deep tread, will develop some "cracks" at the base of the block. It is due to stretching back and forth. Some Shinkos have been known to have the block delaminate from the carcass. Which is probably another problem not related to this. But pictures would help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The three most negative review of these tire at revzilla complain of failures.

Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires - RevZilla

When buying a tire at this price range, I think you give up a little in consistency in manufacturing. Most people have really good luck with them but others... well, they don't.

For me, I am willing to spend the extra bucks to push the odds up that I will get a good product when it comes to MC tires.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts

When buying a tire at this price range, I think you give up a little in consistency in manufacturing. Most people have really good luck with them but others... well, they don't.

For me, I am willing to spend the extra bucks to push the odds up that I will get a good product when it comes to MC tires.
The most expensive tires out there are not any more reliable, don't be fooled by price either way. :wink2:

·
Registered
529 Posts

That's 3 negative reviews out of 103 reviews. Also, those reviews include both bias ply and radial versions. The older bias ply ones were know to have some separation/delam issues on the heavy bikes. I have not heard of any of these issues on the radials.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah I can find a rash of failures with Michelin Pilot Roads of various flavors.

Anywho to the OP, for the 705 and 804/805 a little bit of this is normal. The deep tread patterns and tall blocks result in a lot of "stretching" as stated above. I've seen TKCs do similar.

A picture or two would help.

·
5,422 Posts
Without pictures we have no idea if what the OP wrote has anything to do with the 705 failures that involved delamination.

Look at a set of TKC 80's, or Michelin Wilds, and see what it looks like where the blocks attach to the carcass. And they ain't cheap tires...........

·
Registered
615 Posts
To be clear, I am not putting down the Shinko tire. Many people like them a lot and have very good luck with them for many safe miles.

That said, any tire (no matter the price) that shows failures of this type will not be high on my list of choices. I like to hustle my bike and need to have a level of comfort regarding the small patches of rubber that keep me from crashing. Just one man's opinion.

Reactions: Old Codger

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Well, I'm about to put 2500 miles on my new set over the next few days, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Seriously, these tires seem to be pretty polarizing; 90 percent of the reviews seem pretty positive, and then the other ten percent spin them as substandard handling, too fragile, noisy, etc. I've only had them on for a couple hundred miles, but so far, I like them.

·
5,422 Posts
To be clear, I am not putting down the Shinko tire. Many people like them a lot and have very good luck with them for many safe miles.

That said, any tire (no matter the price) that shows failures of this type will not be high on my list of choices. I like to hustle my bike and need to have a level of comfort regarding the small patches of rubber that keep me from crashing. Just one man's opinion.
Vinnyvavoom, nothing wrong with your opinion. Nothing wrong with sticking with it. Nothing wrong with spending top dollar for motorcycle tires if that gives you confidence. But I wouldn't use the "safe" word to reinforce an opinion that expensive tires are better. In fact, the Shinko problem with delamination which was very real and not 100% solved. It has not caused an accident that I am aware of. I look at my bikes tires a lot. Before rides, during rides. I notice things that way, like a screw or nail that needs fixed. Or a problem with the structure of the tire. I have never had a bike tire that became unsafe. Yes I have run Shinkos and I have run Michelins. Are the Continental TKC 70's on the V STrom now unsafe because the front tire is feathering rather badly? Plenty of reports about that on the internet. Like an aircraft, attention to the things that can go bad goes a LONG way to safety on a motorcycle. Checking tires is an important part of that. Nothing unsafe about the Shinko tires I have used, but I did keep an eye on them.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am sorry this digressed into something I had no intention of it becoming. I rescind my opinion on all things as it is clear people read into things more than just what was stated. I am sorry if I caused any negativity towards any tire at all. Please have a glorious day.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
I am sorry this digressed into something I had no intention of it becoming. I rescind my opinion on all things as it is clear people read into things more than just what was stated. I am sorry if I caused any negativity towards any tire at all. Please have a glorious day.
Why would you rescind anything, are you not allowed to have your own opinion and views? :confused: Buy whatever tires, oil, brake pads, air filters, regular or premium gas........ect, that you feel like doing. I rarely apologize for anything that I say or believe, however I have learned much about things from the experiences of others as well. :wink2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
The most expensive tires out there are not any more reliable, don't be fooled by price either way. :wink2:
I whole heartily disagree. You say "expensive" so you are talking about price and yes there is no set amount of money that makes a tire better than another BUT a quality manufacturer such as Michelin is more expensive and is a significantly better performing tire in wet, dry, hot and cold conditions than the less expensive Shinko tire.

You then use the word "reliable". If you mean no less likely to receive a puncture from a road hazard you MAY be correct. All tires are vulnerable to road hazards. If you mean workmanship and quality of components, a manufacturer such as Michelin has superior quality and workmanship when compared to Shinkos.

But I know lots of riders that think Shinkos are fantastic. To each his own. I know Shinkos suck.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm on my 12th 705 rear. Still haven't had a bad one. Some have had very minor cracking at the base of the blocks, but that's common to all blocked tires, really.

Even if I did get a bad one at this point, I've saved enough $$ to buy a completely new top-of-the-line tire as a replacement.

And, I've loved their performance. They don't last as long as some tires, but I've come to trust how they behave in gravel, dry and wet conditions, and generally think they're a superb all around adventure tire.

I've pulled much more expensive tires off that didn't cut the mustard, I know that.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I whole heartily disagree. You say "expensive" so you are talking about price and yes there is no set amount of money that makes a tire better than another BUT a quality manufacturer such as Michelin is more expensive and is a significantly better performing tire in wet, dry, hot and cold conditions than the less expensive Shinko tire.

You then use the word "reliable". If you mean no less likely to receive a puncture from a road hazard you MAY be correct. All tires are vulnerable to road hazards. If you mean workmanship and quality of components, a manufacturer such as Michelin has superior quality and workmanship when compared to Shinkos.

But I know lots of riders that think Shinkos are fantastic. To each his own. I know Shinkos suck.
I've run tires from most every brand out there, on and off road....cheap to expensive. TKC-80's, Anakees, Battlewings, blah blah blah.

705's are excellent tires, even for a budget tire....certainly as good in performance across such a wide variety of surfaces than any tire in its class (and let's not compare sport tires to 80/20 adventure tires).

They don't suck. I wouldn't run them if they did.

I won't say your opinion is wrong, but you can do the math.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Always best to post a picture and ask if its normal.

We have no way of knowing what you mean by cracks. Light cracking around lugs in an open tread pattern is very common early on and normal. Tread block tears and chunking not so good, bulging tread blocks not so good etc. Actual blisters under a tread block may look like a "crack" to some folks. Need pics.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics added to original post.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

The many many many sets of Shinkos I ran disagree.

Ravens and Verges on a Bandit, FJR, R1150R, FZ6, SV650, F800ST, 804/805 and 705s on Strom, DR350, and KLR.

They get the job done and just happen to be lower cost than others.

Well, I'm about to put 2500 miles on my new set over the next few days, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Seriously, these tires seem to be pretty polarizing; 90 percent of the reviews seem pretty positive, and then the other ten percent spin them as substandard handling, too fragile, noisy, etc. I've only had them on for a couple hundred miles, but so far, I like them.
Some of that percentage that hate them have never even ridden on them and just dismiss them as cheap "Chinese tires" when they're actually made in Korea.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts