StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it would be better to use aluminum rivits to install my "Fenda Extenda" instead of the the sheet metal screws it came with. I didn't like the idea of the screw points being so close to the tire. Looked good and seemed to be OK for a couple weeks. Then noticed spider cracks in the fender coming out from the rivits. I tried to take the fender off to repair but it looks like lots of other stuff has to come off as well. I roughed it up with some sand paper and put on a couple layers of 2 part epoxy. Hope it holds up until I need a tire change. Will take it apart then for a better repair.:headbang:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had the same sort of problem on my late K10 Wee,fitted a rubber mud flap by drilling holes in fender and fixing flap with plastic push rivets(as used on other parts of bodywork) fender split round holes when rivet spindle pressed to lock :yikes::furious::confused:
Did not have problem with this method on a K05,is the later plastic crap?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are going to use pop rivets...

back them up on both sides with aluminum washers. That way, instead of trying to pull the expanding rivet through the plastic fender, you are actually pinching the fender between the two washers. And don't forget to drill the hole large enough so that the rivet just slips through. If it feels like you need to force the rivet through the hole, drill a slightly bigger hole. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The fender is captive on my '06 so a fork must be removed to get the fender off or you can squeeze the fender and risk butchering the paint job. Probably true for your '11.

Bill

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
You may want to drill a small hole at the end of each crack to help prevent the cracks from growing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The fender is captive on my '06 so a fork must be removed to get the fender off. Probably true for your '11.

Bill
Not true, I could get the fender off by squeezing it a bit and it would come off without even removing the front wheel. [though removing the wheel made it tons easier]

You do NOT need to remove a fork tube.
I now have a high fender so its not an issue

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got mine off too without dropping a fork, but it was a pain and it has a few scratches to show for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided it would be better to use aluminum rivits to install my "Fenda Extenda" instead of the the sheet metal screws it came with. I didn't like the idea of the screw points being so close to the tire. Looked good and seemed to be OK for a couple weeks. Then noticed spider cracks in the fender coming out from the rivits. I tried to take the fender off to repair but it looks like lots of other stuff has to come off as well. I roughed it up with some sand paper and put on a couple layers of 2 part epoxy. Hope it holds up until I need a tire change. Will take it apart then for a better repair.:headbang:
Sorry to hear about your fender cracking. I decided not to use the screws and instead just glued my "Fenda Extenda" to the fender with ABS cement on my Wee. Almost 5,000 miles now and it's holding just fine.

Donnie

·
Registered
875 Posts
Even easier, don't put it on :beatnik: I've never used them and this post doesn't make me want to change that.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Contact adhesive works, just clean the fender down well first.

I have had to replace one, but that's because a TKC-80 chewed a big hole in the centre, the glue was still holding it.

Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I did use washers but it cracked anyway. I scuffed up the surface a bit, drilled the holes at the ends of the cracks (thanks for the tip) and covered the area with 2 part epoxy. I'm hoping that will hold until I need a new front tire. When the wheel comes off the fender should come off easy and will try to make a better repair or replace. I "MUST" have a fender extender. I can't stand all that mud/stones plastering the radiator and oil cooler. Why almost all bikes come with such short fenders, I'll never know. I think the USA would have a much better cycle market if we would start looking at bikes more as practical transportation and not just toys. Fenders that protect the radiator just makes more sense, but then so does larger seats and gas tanks. Thats why I bought a V-strom. It was designed to include may common sense features.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I want to thank you boys for the horror stories. I'm considering using a scrap of rubber sheet I bought at OSH hardware to use as fender extender. I now know not to RIVET the rubber in place. I'll use stainless steel screws and maybe some acorn nuts to secure it.
No sense in buggering a perfectly good shiny black fender.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You could probably fix it from the underside by slathering some PVC glue up in there.

You could also trim off the affected area and drill new holes.

BTW, I probably have ugliest stock front fender on this forum.
If there is enough clamorification for it, I take some pictures to prove it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just used double sided 3M heavy duty tape on mine and both are staying on fine, through rain, dirt, whatever.

·
Registered
808 Posts
thanks for the cautionary tale. I was planning on just sticking mine on, I didn't want to drill holes, but it's good to have that backing me up. If it falls off, so be it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
+1 for the ABS glue and nothing else approach. Scuffed with sandpaper and it sticks fine. About 1000 miles and still solid.

Cheers, -Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts