StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been parked in my garage this winter with occasional rides. Last week I found the right side of my cowling cracked and no apparent mark that would indicate something hit it. It was cracked in a non-riveted area.

I saw a bunch of posts indicating problems with this in the past. Did/Does Suzuki actually step up to the plate and fix it or do I get stuck with a superglue fix?

If I remove the cowling is there any way to protect the stuff that will be exposed such as the coolant reserve tank?

Thanks ahead of time...

·
Registered
111 Posts
My side panel cracked on the way home from picking up my new V-Strom. There was only 40KM on my bike at the time. I suspect it was a flaw in the plastic or hidden damage from transport. Suzuki replaced it under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Done some fiberglass work in my time. To fix it, you first have to stop-drill the crack. Drill a small hole right at the end of the crack. That keeps the crack from spreading. Then get some epoxy, cloth and filler. Fill the hole you drilled with filler, on the back side sand down the plastic so the epoxy will stick and do a few coats of epoxy/cloth. While it cures, hold the fairing in position so the crack edges are together. You can then do some finnish work on the outside if needed and repaint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My fairing cracked at the rear mounting bolts{spider web} 4 years ago,I bought a product from G.T. Motosports/Plastex, Reno NV phone #775-852-4066. Its not cheap but the results are permanent just follow the direction. It even comes with a video.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any chance some brake fluid could have dripped on there? That would definitely do it.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I use good old JB Weld on the plastic and yes back up with some glass.

I masking tape the paint side to hold it together while it sets

I Often just add a stripe rather than try to match the paint

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Loctite will attack and weaken plastic too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Plastics fix

I have been using plumbers ABS glue on the fairings for years. You simply rough it up with sandpaper, clean with denatured alcohol, and put on as many coats as necessary.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too have a cracked fairing and have been doing alot of research on the topic so far the two best ways are the ABS glue ( if you can back it up with another piece of ABS so much the better) or a stuff called PLASTIFIX comes in a kit and is around $30 I can only get it here in Canada at an aircraft supply store, Aircraft Spruce, but in the U.S. it seems to be easier to obtain. The Plastifix means a repaint but I'm thinking of covering the panels with a stuff that looks like carbon fiber call 3M di com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts