StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a rock with the shift lever link and it bent the shifter rod and broke the housing that supports the shifter rod. I think I will try a temp fix with a new rod and JB Weld but would like a more permanent solution. Wondering if a mechanical (non-motorcycle mechanic type) should attempt a case half replacement. I am not worried about pulling the engine, but I dont know what to expect when the case halves come apart. Can it be done without taking the gears etc. out? Any advise one way or the other is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,306 Posts
If everything shifts ok and there are no oil leaks, it would take an act of Congress to get me to split the cases!

Even if I had to make a JB Weld or similar repair.

I would probably just shop for a replacement engine. Probably cheaper in the long run and much quicker to get back running.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Colo, post up some pictures will ya? I don't have a 'strom yet, but does the elbow of the shift lever have a sharp edge? Like the DRZ they might need to be ground down and rounded off so there is less chance of shattering the case on normal impact.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Wondering if a mechanical (non-motorcycle mechanic type) should attempt a case half replacement. I am not worried about pulling the engine, but I dont know what to expect when the case halves come apart. Can it be done without taking the gears etc. out? Any advise one way or the other is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Crank Cases are a matched pair and should be changed as a pair not just the one side.

A photo would be a big help, I have repaired a few bikes over the years but never on line :green_lol: is it a 650 or 1000

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have only had one issue with a crank case, and all parties very strongly recommended not to replace 1/2 case....but that was on an experimental airplane. If I have an issue with an engine, much rather it be on a bike, but still want to avoid that, especially at the wrong time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, much appreciated help. I have decided to try a JB weld repair to get back on the road for the short-term, and shop for a salvage title Strom with a good engine. I will post some photos of my progress, I have sealed the crank case with JB and am now casting JB gussets to reinforce the repair. More photos as the process goes. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cases are "line" bored to match, so should be a matched set. I hit my Devlon skid plate. Put a hole in the case. Welded it up, and jb welded the minor seep that resulted from the porus weld job. Has worked well. The problem with welding on the bike is the heat. you can pop the seal between the cases.

Pix would be good.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Pp

I cracked the case high centering on a boulder with a KTM EXC 300 dirt bike. It took a chunk out and left a hole about the size of your pinky fingernail. I repaired it with a thorough cleaning and JB Weld as a "temporary fix". But after 3 years it was still 100% leak free when I sold the bike.... Don't discount JB Weld.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a spare SV 650 engine that has good engine cases. I have already used it for both cylinder heads and pistons on my Wee. When I bought it last year it had 12,000 miles on it and was sold because 2nd gear was broken. Let me know if you need the cases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Invisibiker,

I happen to be an insurance geek. Since the rock that I hit was not moving, it is not covered. If a moving rock hit the bike comp. would cover but I think it is a stretch. I like your thinking though!

I have had to travel for a few days but I will be back on the project this weekend and am excited as I think this will be a cool project. Excited to share with yall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like a definite maybe on the cases. I might go down that road but would really like to not split the cases. Thanks for mentioning it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is an epoxy product called Belzona 1111 Super Metal. It's a 2 part application like JB Weld, but it's JB Weld on steroids. It's made for industrial use, and it works well. I'd be willing to bet it would be a long term solution for your cracked case.

Here's contact info:
Belzona California
2201 E.Winston Rd. Unit F
Anaheim, CA 92806
800-367-8635
belzona.com

·
Registered
944 Posts
FWIW, I fixed a broken 8HP Briggs engine crankcase on a mulcher with JB Weld. The hole was about the size of a dime. I was at my property and just used the tube that I always carry on the bike. I didn't even do a good job of cleaning the dirty case, just used a rag. Then I put a few messy blobs over the hole with a stick laying around in the area.

That was over five years ago and it still is holding fine. Maybe the JB Weld will work fine for you. Especially if you clean the area and don't mix and applied the stuff with a dirty stick like I did.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,306 Posts
That Belzona epoxy only gives a 200 degree temperature ( immersion, like in an oil bath ) and that is marginal for an engine crankcase. Oil temps can reach 200 degrees. While this repair is external, and that may help, part of it will be in contact with oil it seems. JB Weld is good for 450 degrees.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Well if you patch job it I do recommend the real jb weld

I would clean area and hopefully the crack itself with brake clean and abrade the surface for good surface area.

Force into the crack

Perhaps a small aluminum bandaid also attached with the jb weld as reinforcement.

Once done stay within rescue range of home for the 1st couple of rides

I too have had like 5 successful oil proof repairs over my time

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you roughed up the surfaces and thoroughly cleaned them before applying the JB Weld, it will last indefinitely. Friend is still driving a truck we repaired a cracked thermostat housing and oil filter boss using the original JB weld.....16 years/190,000 miles ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts