StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towards the end of my ride on Sunday, I had a run in with a wild turkey. Quite the experience for a new rider with 400 miles on the bike! It hit the upper right (looking forward) side of the windshield and grazed my right mirror. Other than some broken plastic, the bike seems fine. I had no issues on the rest of the ride home.

The mirror is fine, and I believe the windshield is also fine, just dirty.

Based on this parts diagram, the front cowling, front panel, and meter panel are broken. Of course, other fasteners could be broken once pieces are removed.

I'm a DIY guy, and have done lots of work on my cars/trucks. I'm assuming that this is pretty straight forward. Remove parts, determine what is broken, order replacements, reassemble. Has anyone actually dug in to this area on a 2012 or newer V-Strom 650? Any tips? If you were to order parts, any recommendations?

Lastly, any reason why you would take the bike in to a dealer instead of attempting the repair on your own? I have a $500 deductible.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some one was selling body parts in the "For Sale" section a few weeks ago.

never mind, wrong year

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Has anyone actually dug in to this area on a 2012 or newer V-Strom 650? Any tips? If you were to order parts, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve
I replaced my windshield, dash cowling, and steel fairing bracket. It's pretty simple. Pay attention to which style screws go where. I'd wait till you have the new parts and do it all in one shot, rather than rely on memory.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I broke a piece off one of the plastic panels around the instrument panel and found it challenging as it has some complicated fasteners. Some instruction in the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AagV5zdYE4

And some text (and photos in the second and third) in these threads:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/80831-fairing-panel-removal-help.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/134617-gstrom-tank-removal-air-filter-access-photo-guide.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/84993-removing-panels-2012-glee-3.html

When I did it, I found that that the service manual little use and I almost was taking the headlights apart before realizing that there are 4 Phillips head screws (large head) that hold the cowling to the square headlight halo. Once those are removed (if memory serves, you need a stubby screwdriver or socket to get the bottom two) it is relatively straightforward but there are some excellent photos and advice in the third thread for the side panels.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I replaced cowling parts and mirrors on my DL1000 2007. No reason to take to the dealer to fix this. In fact to change air filter we already have to remove some plastics, so this is not a challenge at all. Hopefully you did no fall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to go at this myself. I'll take it out a time or two first, just to make sure that it still feels sound.

I did not fall after the impact. I didn't see it coming until the last second, as it came out of a deep left side ditch. The impact caused a bit of wobble, but it quickly dissipated. I also noticed some scrapes on my right hand Barkbuster. Just one more thing they are good at. Without them, the impact may have applied my front brakes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to go at this myself. I'll take it out a time or two first, just to make sure that it still feels sound.

I did not fall after the impact. I didn't see it coming until the last second, as it came out of a deep left side ditch. The impact caused a bit of wobble, but it quickly dissipated. I also noticed some scrapes on my right hand Barkbuster. Just one more thing they are good at. Without them, the impact may have applied my front brakes.
Just take you time, bag or separate fasteners, take pictures and wait until your done before having that beer.......... or three.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That really sucks, I bet there was glass all over the place....... Those "wild turkeys" are everywhere ! :green_lol:

Glad your ok. They really can do a lot of damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts