StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K11 Wee w/ 37Kmi
Noticed front end loose but suspected recent self maintenance on the forks (I always look there first). With fairings off it was obvious the cowl was WAY loose (see pic). One bolt was missing, the other was loose. Turns out others have reported this problem (search on “cowl” in this forum). Fix? Use threadlocker! Problem solved.
515BA1A6-2A6C-4CAF-8D5E-87B96B7F5F10.jpeg

·
Registered
371 Posts
May want to look around for the missing piece. They have been known to fall and get caught is troublesome spots.

I used to ride with laced boots. I tucked and tied but ended up with a lace caught on a peg and couldn't put my foot down. Stayed up but did not like it. Chalked it up as a one off and then some months later felt a tug. When I stopped I saw the chain had eaten a portion of the lace. No more laced boots for me! Can't be too careful.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May want to look around for the missing piece. They have been known to fall and get caught is troublesome spots.

I used to ride with laced boots. I tucked and tied but ended up with a lace caught on a peg and couldn't put my foot down. Stayed up but did not like it. Chalked it up as a one off and then some months later felt a tug. When I stopped I saw the chain had eaten a portion of the lace. No more laced boots for me! Can't be too careful.
Good point, kfh000!

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I'm not a fan of thread locker. I just check mine occasionally, every couple years, and the bolts have always been tight.
I guess twisting a wrench for a living serves me well enough.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I was pushing my bike out of the garage one day and noticed that the handle bars were hitting a hard stop and not turning as far as they should. Started looking at the triple tree and found a bolt had fallen down on to the lower triple tree right in front of the stop. My next thought was WTF was this from when I noticed the cowling was loose. Checked and the top bolt was missing. Not really missing as I knew where it was, jammed in the triple tree.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a fan of thread locker. I just check mine occasionally, every couple years, and the bolts have always been tight.
I guess twisting a wrench for a living serves me well enough.
notacop - good to see you here. Why not a fan?

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Thread locker...I've read on posts of the guys that misuse it or use the wrong stuff and have problems later trying to undo what the goofed up. Guys at work using the wrong stuff and I had to fight to get pieces apart so the equipment could get fixed.
Good to see me, do we know each other from another forum? Hola anyway.
Dravnx, that's classic symptom of a missing bolt. It's found in an inconvenient place.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thread locker...I've read on posts of the guys that misuse it or use the wrong stuff and have problems later trying to undo what the goofed up. Guys at work using the wrong stuff and I had to fight to get pieces apart so the equipment could get fixed.
Good to see me, do we know each other from another forum? Hola anyway.
Dravnx, that's classic symptom of a missing bolt. It's found in an inconvenient place.
Yes, notacop, I know you from bmwst. I had an 1150RT (gone now). Had several breakdowns and thank God for help received there.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I had a close call with mine, I was on a multi day ride, I pulled into a town for lunch, as I reversed my bike into a parking spot the steering locked up.

It was one of the fairing bolts had fallen down and caucht up on the lower triple clamp.

Easy to find and put back in place but if I was on the move it could have been much worse.

Reactions: leehopp

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just noticed in the pic of original post, brake line looks worn in a spot opposite the lower bolt. Any advice on what to do about that?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would suggest, depending on brake hose condition / damage, replace the brake line with steel braided hose. One could perhaps wrap a wire spiral of sorts, around that area of brake line for protection and fix the spiral protector into place with either a silicon sealer or crimp the wire tighter on the brake line. Haven't tried it myself, just a idea.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That brake line looks to me like braided stainless. Is it original? Anyone know? Looks like it’s hitting cowl frame when wheel turned to left full lock, which happens every time I park the bike.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Are there handle bar raisers installed, that maybe pulling the brake line tight, when turned to full lock on the left? Maybe either re-route the brake line to the other side, then determine whether there is sufficient slack when full lock to the right. Or change out the brake line for a longer section.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gert - I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. The bike has raisers. I bet that line is aftermarket - all other brake lines are rubber. Probably just a couple cm too short to hegin with. I’ll have a look at possibly rerouting or replacing. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts