StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 300 Posts

·
Vendor
5,091 Posts
Trying to stay on top of how the virus was spreading and it's economic and health impacts started to seriously get me down. The death toll started to weigh heavily on me and with my son having had the virus and it is still wrecking his company to the point that they are shut down. That is making this pretty personal for us. I'm going to have to keep them afloat financially because he didn't qualify for unemployment in WA state because he just moved there last quarter and didn't have enough hours. It's important, to keep track of the big picture, but sometimes you just have to look away from the world at large and pay attention to your own little world.

Speaking of WA state and my son's company, they are still (as late as yesterday) not testing known cases in WA state unless you meet high risk criteria. That would be high risk of death. The doctors are still refusing to test younger people or anyone with what they feel are mild symptoms and just sending people home to self quarantine.

We definitely see and hear things on TV that are the result of putting the best foot forward for public consumption. I suppose it is necessary to prevent panic and social unrest. That was my attempt at avoiding a political statement. How'd I do?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My .02...

Unplug from mainstream media doom and gloom. Try to maintain perspective. We are a country of 300 million or so our infection and mortally rate is near the lowest in the world. Also we are the best prepared country in the world (if the WHO can be believed at this point). Urban areas are the main outbreaks, NYC is more than half the total cases!

If you're not a high risk candidate mortally is comparable to the flu. Most that contract the virus recovery easily. It will pass like past pandemics have.

We will recover. It will take awhile certainly but we've got a businessman as President. He has already demonstrated that he knows how the economy works.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Rose coloured glasses Spec

Fauci says US could have 'millions' of coronavirus cases and over 100,000 deaths
BY JUSTIN WISE - 03/29/20 10:43 AM EDT

Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the faces of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force, on Sunday warned that the novel coronavirus could infect millions of people in the United States and account for more than 100,000 deaths.

Speaking on CNN's "State of the Union," Fauci said that, based on what he's seeing, the U.S. could experience between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths from Covid-19.

"We're going to have millions of cases," Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said, noting that projections are subject to change, given that the disease's outbreak is "such a moving target."

He said that
The novel coronavirus, which first appeared in China in December, has infected more than 124,000 people in the U.S. and accounted for more than 2,000 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University database. The U.S. has reported the most confirmed cases of the virus worldwide.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Rick, condolences on the family troubles. One son in Colorado is out of work since the schools are closed but he's living with his sister who is a nurse working from home so he's not in a bind not paying rent.
The final outcome of this difficulty is hard to predict. We will have a new perspective though.

Spec, it's hard to unplug from the doom and gloom when mainstream news constantly reports the unfortunate factual news. Seems a bit of a slight to state we have 300 million and a few thousand dying isn't all that bad. Saw that in LA some families haven't been able to be there when the loved one passes away and the funeral homes are cremating the victims and the families can't gather to morn either due to the crowd controls.
If one isn't personally affected it may difficult to appreciate the unhappiness those that are.

·
Administrator
16,823 Posts
"Mainstream news constantly reports the unfortunate factual news".......did you seriously just say that?

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Well, Big B, I could quote the lady that isn't at Fox news anymore because she erroneously suggested the Dems are complaining about the way the current administration handling of the situation is just another impeachment try.
I watch Channel 7, owned by Disney and is always happiness, and the news announcers, not the opinionated commentators, state what is happening currently. They cover statements by the Governor and mayor of Los Angeles and other elected officials and Doctors of what is transpiring.
Am I being duped? Seems most of the other national news coverage is much the same.

·
Vendor
5,091 Posts
There are facts in the news. Just mixed in with other agenda. Silver lining is that the vitriol stands out more clearly now.

Seriously folks just a like a line by veto, we need post by post moderation, not just toss the whole thing in the arena because someone gets pissed and chooses o draw outside the lines. That just rewards bad behavior.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Please people, let's keep politically oriented stuff out of here. The Arena's available if you feel that your opinions are just too important not to share.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Pastor Who Claimed Covid-19 ‘Hysteria’ Was Plot Against Trump Dies From Virus
MARCH 26, 2020 BY MICHAEL STONE

Religious Ignorance Kills: Landon Spradlin, a Virginia pastor who claimed the “mass hysteria” around the coronavirus pandemic was part of a media plot against Trump, has died from the virus.
ABC News reports:
Landon Spradlin’s family never got to say goodbye.
The 66-year-old father and husband from Virginia died due to complications from COVID-19 on Wednesday morning in North Carolina.
While on the way home from a mission trip, Spradlin collapsed and was taken to a hospital in Concord, North Carolina. He was eventually put on a ventilator as his condition worsened.

my partner is a nurse. ☕

·
Administrator
16,823 Posts
Threads like this naturally progress politically or start out that way from inception, just shows how much of such is intertwined in practically everything. It's not rewarding bad behavior Rick, anymore than it's punishing those who should be able to speak their mind. We have the Arena so threads and posts shouldn't have to be deleted, if members fear a thread they start or posts they make in off topic section could be moved or deleted, than perhaps the thread shouldn't be started to begin with? Y'all know what topics are controversial or potentially such, it's simply human nature when people agree with one another or disagree with one another, depending on what facts or information they filter through which are being provided. Strong opinions on this subject at hand, strong emotions at hand, and in such there typically comes strong reactions to such. If posts get to the point where we are deleting/editing them........it's getting moved or closed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How everyone views this crisis is political, not necessary based on party politics. The origins of the word comes from politikos - of citizens, pertaining to public life. There is a good video of an interview with a South Korean infectious disease expert who has had 30 years experience with all of the major global viral outbreaks including SARS, MERS, Ebola, Swine Flu...its 38 minutes long but covers much of what they have done to curb their cases, he admits not everything is perfect there but compared to much of the northern wealthy nations they took aggresssive immediate measures to hammer down their infection rate where others failed to take action until the evidence was quite clear there was an outbreak.

Rick it is unfortunate that there isn't more exceptions to allow more people to be eligible for employment insurance. If people connect with their loca,l state and federal leaders and let them know what the need is on the ground then perhaps they will hear the reality and take action. There seems to be plenty of money to ensure some are well taken care of, the banking and other financial sectors to the tune of trillions of dollars. In Canada, there has been a removal of the amount of weeks one needs to qualify for employment insurance. Evictions and rent hikes have been stopped and banks are being told to halt any foreclosures of small or medium size businesses. Loans in some circumstances are being deferred. It takes us all to halt this virus and it takes us to ensure our leaders take measures that look after all the people. Take care.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
he didn't qualify for unemployment in WA state because he just moved there last quarter and didn't have enough hours.
I can't say for sure _ but he is very likely still qualified in his previous state.

·
Registered
274 Posts
"We are a country of 300 million or so our infection and mortally rate is near the lowest in the world."

The US now has 19% of all known cases reported throughout the world yet has just 4% of the total global population. Remember this is a dynamic situation so the fatalities and number of actual cases will continue to rise and it will level off and decrease depending on the measures taken to control and remove the factors that keeps this virus alive in a population. Isolate if you're vulnerable, go out into public areas where others frequent, stores etc, only when necessary, keep healthy, small walks away from others, social distancing and wash wash wash your hands.

I agree the discussion shouldn't be about the two donor controlled political parties in the US since there are many of us in other parts of the world. In any discussion there are differences of opinion but if those opinions can be substantiated with some evidence of validity then they shouldn't be removed. It makes it hard on moderators especially if they themselves may have their own subjective political opinions. I hope that I haven't contributed to misinformation since I try to do my homework. I once was a co-producer of a radio public affairs morning program and as a trained geographer I tend to enjoy researching the facts and known facts and how facts change in dynamic events. Unfortunately some media talking heads aren't the best to interpret facts and their knowledge of science is limited and they tend to just be stenographers and echo chambers for political party messaging. There are an enormous amounts of research papers being published on the COVID-19 virus which for the most part are available to the public. The video I suggested people watch is helpful not only for us to learn how one country responded to this virus but what all of us living in countries that didn't respond as aggressively nor have planned for such an event can do to limit or even stop the spread of this virus. Remember the 1918 pandemic came in 3 waves, the second being the deadliest so thinking that we can allow people who are less vulnerable to wander about spreading the virus would only mean the hospitals will be consumed by people needing treatment and those who have other health issues will be left to perish. The other ramification is if you let this virus to linger and infect even more then we'll be in this condition much longer than any of us wishes and the economy will suffer even more. At this point the US Federal Reserve has signaled it is prepared to put $14 trillion into the economy but only to backstop impacts to banks and other financial institutions and this action will dilute the US dollar in the future and may not recover. So if you want to rescue the economy and act as a nation then follow the simple guidelines and protect your neighbors and families.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It is very difficult to maintain a fence between policy and politics when trying to make a point within just a few sentences.
It takes some practice.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
"The Friday before he died, he was healthy,” . “By Wednesday, he was dead.” "

That happened to a friends wife a few years ago. Didn't feel well, flu like symptoms. Went tot the hospital and passed away in a couple days. Poof!

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Ummm ,,,
Updated: A 17-year-old whose death was initially linked to the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

101 - 120 of 300 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.