StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Administrator
16,813 Posts
Nothing fun about this, but yes it's unfortunate and not surprising that some get bent out of shape when conversations or topics don't go their intended or demanded way. I'm happy to lock this up should you the OP say the word, but see no reason to move it to the Arena when a thread there already exists. Stay safe out there, use good common sense, and let's all see how we bounce back from this shall we?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Don't get angry.
I have simply been pointing out for three weeks now that the experts initial estimate of a million or more deaths in the US just might possibly be a tiny bit overstated. Given the fact that social distancing and shutting down the world was part of their equation, I'll say again. I have been trying to point out that this just may, possibly, NOT be the end of the world as we know it.

If you go back to your first post in this thread, you'll see this:

Let's be a bit conservative and say the doubling time is 3 days. Easter is about 18 days away. 18/3=6, so 6 doubling periods until Easter. 2 raised to the 6th power is 64. 64 times 200 = 12,800 deaths per day. At that rate, in a little more than a week after Easter we'll have 100,000 people dead. Just in that week!

Today's data shows some 20,000 deaths total in the US. Not 20,000 this week, 20,000 total.

All drama aside, let's celebrate our success, good favor, the efforts of our health professionals, or just dumb luck that we don't actually have 100,000 American bodies piling up in the streets each week.
OK ? thanks for starting the thread though, and allowing us to see just how much better off we all are than originally thought by our panel of "experts" or the MSM.
Happy Easter, and God Bless America.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
When is a Theory just a theory. When is a theory a Conspiracy Theory ?
Conspiracy Theory wikipiedia: "... an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy by sinister and powerful actors, often political in motivation." "The term has a pejorative connotation, implying that the appeal to a conspiracy is based on prejudice or insufficient evidence."

I think the modern world needs to make a crisp and wide spread distinction. Not just about the virus but as regards every point of inquiry.

Personally, I find that the term, conspiracy theory, has devolved into a slap-shot dismissal of anything we disagree with or don't want to think about. It is lazy. It has just become a form of name calling.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From this side of the pond and Ireland in particular we have never seen anything like this in living memory,
there is a lot of media hype, and the news channels thrive on bad news, as for the conspiracy theorists, I'd imagine the CIA and others like them would know the truth, I think it was controlled in China because of the system they live under, feels like we are living under a similar authoritarian system ourselves now, people here are doing what we have been told barring a few idiots but by and large it looks like it's being contained, how it will play out when restrictions on travel etc are eased remains to be seen, hope a vaccine is found or at least something to help fight the virus, I'd say it's going to with us for a long time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ok I will jump in. I do have experience in my working days as emergency manager for the Ontario Ministry of Labour, notably during Sars in Toronto in 2003 and all the worker health and safety issues I had to address. I was also responsible for co-writing the Provincial nuclear emergency Plan as I managed the Provincial laboratory responsible for monitoring Ontario Nuclear Plants, hence my “nuke” handle. Ontario did develop a comprehensive pandemic plan with inputs from the various Ministries shortly after Sars. Of course we all must wait until politicians agree to activate these plans so there are limitations and damn they did not approve replacement of protective equipment in their stockpiles as they reached expiry to save some dollars (main issue is likely the elastic on the masks). There is an understanding that two thirds of the population will catch the illness during a typical pandemic during a 1.5-2 year period. There could also be reinfections that could complicate the numbers. Now we could see a vaccine by 1.5 years and this could reduce the impact. Using protective matters, social distancing etc will also help to delay the impact and spread infection levels out so hospitals are not overwhelmed and have the opportunity to develop treatments. 2% can die either way and for US if you multiply this by two thirds of the population, you can see that many more deaths are highly likely. Doubt this was a bioweapon; pandemics have long been expected and will continue to be expected in the future. I am sure they could produce a more efficient weapon and of course there will be all sorts of conspiracy theories; I saw one that indicated this was caused by radiofrequency waves. The media does what it has always done and you can certainly turn off the news or just watch it once daily. Gotta tell you I was bombarded by the news for a few months during Sars; real time media 24 hours a day on the monitors and very regular briefings and I could not turn it off. Gave me a real headache and very tiring. Stay healthy people and follow the best recommendations.
Damn a local dealer (2 wheel motorsport in Guelph) has 6 1050’s in stock now and doors are locked. No test rides are likely.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The Thin Façade of Authority - American Greatness. For us here in the US something to ponder and another good read for you that are INSIDE from VD Hanson!
Just say'n :sneaky:
Senoje,
Great article. I tend to believe that there is at least some truth in many views out there. For sure, politicians and self described pundits have no clear idea how most of us live. As the article stated, they will survive economically regardless... I am of the opinion that we will soon need to get our economy up and running. Obviously, with caveats - masks, hand sanitizers, distancing, lower occupancy figures etc..., whatever it takes! My bet is that America will rebound from this mess, albeit with some hiccups along the way - in spite of the powerful who want to tell US how we should live.

·
Registered
142 Posts
chirosyd, Well, I'm sure someone would be offended at me being more than pissed my constitutional rights are being violated every frigging day buy some bureaucratic governor, with all kinds of examples, ....."man has to know his limitations" so since this is something we all should be aware of, as you have noted aforementioned, and that there is no vaccine for this FLU, there's just a super amount of miss-information out there and our government (US) is part of that.
Off rant....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You are correct in the spelling and completely wrong about the content. Nothing new there.
Exertion of sovereign power against disease has a long history
Infectious diseases and maritime law - the United Nations
www.un.org › fellows_papers › iteraera_0910_kiribati

PDF
It could be traced back to the influenza pandemic of 412 BC and the Plague of Athens in ... Independence of the Sea cruise ship commenced work, and is known ...
:rolleyes:

Moving on to progress instead of whingeing about restrictions.

The evidence for using hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid-19 is flimsy
Why experts say we need clinical trials before using the drug to treat the coronavirus.
By Umair Irfan Apr 7, 2020, 12:00pm EDT

Does not seem promising compared to remdesivir

Here is an updated list of potential treatments

BEYOND HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE: 6 OTHER DRUGS THAT COULD TREAT COVID-19

"THE GOAL IS TO STOP THE VIRUS DEAD IN ITS TRACKS BEFORE IT STOPS US."

·
Registered
542 Posts
Macdoc,
This is the USA and we are a Constitutional Republic and, besides the Constitution, each state has its own laws.
If you actually read the CDC document, it never mentions martial law (nor would it!) but it does state that police power may be applied.
Again, for your edification:
In regard to the use of the armed forces by Federal, state and local governments, they must also consider the Posse Comitatus Act:

Just so you know......

·
Administrator
16,813 Posts
Think we need to shut this down folks, is for sure starting to break the off topic section rules. Stay safe out there, make good choices, stay true to yourself no matter your stance, and let's all get through this the best we can shall we?

281 - 300 of 300 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.