Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DL1000 and i would like a little better acceleration in top gear. I can't remember if you go up or down a tooth on the front sprocket. Been a long time time for me since i have had a chain drive bike. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
To lower your overall gearing go down one on the front, or up 3 or 4 on the rear. This regearing will also make the ratio's slightly closer together so that changing up a gear is not such a big jump.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
The 1000 comes with a 17 tooth. Go to a 16. Cheap and easy. It will make the speedo off even more though.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Personally, I recommend going up two teeth on the rear to a 43. If you don't want to change chains, just sprockets, you could go down to 16 on the front and up to 42 on the back. Same chain length and a hair more bang. I use the 17-43 setup and it works well when I'm alone or two-up. Is there a problem you are hoping to help with the gearing change? If it's the notorious surging at low RPMs, then the gearing is not the problem. I regeared mine to solve that problem and it did not work. Flashing the ECU or doing anything to richen up the mixture at low speeds is what helps the most. This is a very knowledgeable group, so if you ask for a certain piece of information, you will get direct answers. If you are guessing about a solution, you may not get help that attacks the problem. We love problem solving:). And welcome to the forum. Please complete your new user information so we know about where you live and what you ride, if you don't mention it in future posts.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
FWIW, most people seem to end up at 17/43. (Stock is 17/41)

This puts you in a nice sweet spot where you get significantly more usable gitalong, yet you can still bomb along the interstate serenely at 80+ mph.

I recall one guy who lived on a mountainous island, where interstate highways simply weren't a concern. He was quite happy with the much-increased poke of 16/43 gearing, and didn't care at all about anything above 70mph.

With 17/43 gearing, you'll have about 10.5%-11% total speedo error (gearing-caused error plus the 7% or 8% stock error). I found this annoying, so I added a SpeedoDRD. Some people don't mind the mental math involved and don't bother with the speedo correction.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
With a 16 tooth, 6th will be roughly like stock 5th, so you can try it out before you buy. (At least on the V2, I assume your year would be similar.) So, if better acceleration in top gear was your only concern you could just stop in 5th and get the same result as 6th with the 16t, only with the option of another gear if you wanted it. I ultimately went back to stock, can't remember all the reasons but probably mainly because I didn't like the higher revs on the highway...I think it also put cruising rpm at a spot with increased vibration or maybe a louder exhaust resonance.

A good site to play around with this is gearingcommander.com

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I rode all day a while back never going past 5th. Was just fine other than the 80 mph freeway stretch(Fine but buzzier). Same MPG. Mine is still stock because of the high limits around here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts