StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Vstrom 650, 26,xxx miles. Sunday had the oil changed to Amsoil 10 w40 w/Wix filter. I've owned this bike for about 2000 miles. I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner reported he did not have the valves adjusted. I'm thinking its time. It has been making some noise and I think its top end noise, like a valve adjustment is needed. I'm concerned its a different issue from the valves but I hope not.

Its a little annoying while riding because I can kinda hear it but when the helmet is off, like when I just ride in the driveway to put it in the garage, it downright scary sounding in person.

Please just give this a listen and tell me what you think.

Thanks!
Justin

It was about 40 degrees outside, thus the steam. Not smoke! :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Other than that it has a Holeshot can and is exceptionally clean I can't find anything else to comment on.

How on earth can you hear if the valves need adjusting?? The only way to know is to measure the clearance and if it has never been done, do it!

Other than that, get some earplugs and make it dirty ;-)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeh, the Stroms sound like a washing machine full of marbles or a sewing machine on steroids. Sounds good to me, but agree with Blaustrom that the only way to know the state of the valve clearances is to check them or have them checked. At 26k it is overdue but it sure would not be the first Strom to experience that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Other than that it has a Holeshot can and is exceptionally clean I can't find anything else to comment on.

How on earth can you hear if the valves need adjusting?? The only way to know is to measure the clearance and if it has never been done, do it!

Other than that, get some earplugs and make it dirty ;-)
LOL Thanks for the reply. Holeshot? It is a StainTune that came with it when I purchased it. It had a baffle, but I misplaced it. I like the sound.

So wow, hard to believe of the consensus so far that it sounds close to this even when healthy. Box of rocks indeed. Seems to run fine though. I'll keep watching for other replies but I thinkn I'll have my mechanic check the valves if for nothing else my own peace of mind.

EDIT: Also, while I have your attention, should the sightglass have no oil in it while the engine is running? I tried to fill it as close to the fill line as possible Sunday when I changed the oil. I realize some goes in the oil filter, bringing the level down.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So wow, hard to believe of the consensus so far that it sounds close to this even when healthy. Box of rocks indeed. Seems to run fine though. I'll keep watching for other replies but I thinkn I'll have my mechanic check the valves if for nothing else my own peace of mind.

1st bike?

Sounds normal to me. Motorcycle engines are noisy, you're sitting right on top of it after all.

I always ride with ear plugs. On the rare occasion that I don't I can't stand the engine mechanical noise. I know that it's normal but it's distracting!

You won't see oil in the sight glass with the motor running. You also won't see the oil on the sidestand with the motor off.
The bike has to be level and the motor needs to be off for a few minutes to get an accurate level in the sight glass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st bike?

Sounds normal to me. Motorcycle engines are noisy, you're sitting right on top of it after all.

I always ride with ear plugs. On the rare occasion that I don't I can't stand the engine mechanical noise. I know that it's normal but it's distracting!
You're nearly right. It's my 2nd. I bought a little Honda NX250 (rare bike) to learn on. Rode for about 1 year then upgraded to this. I'm fairly particular and careful about my motorized possessions. I want them to be in perfect shape.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok, everyone else says it sounds normal. Maybe because you were holding your phone close to the crankcase, but to me it sounded like a worn/loose primary chain. With the phone nearer the head(s) it sounded like an arcing spark plug wire, but I would have expected a rougher idle. So chalk it up to greatly amplified and localized normal sound, and enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds and looks just like mine - also a black 2004 DL650. It’s a noisy engine as others have said.

I did my first valve check at about your mileage. They were all right in the center of the adjustment range. I’m closing in on 40k now and will probably check again near the end of the year.

Seriously if you can change your spark plugs you’re just a few more steps away from the valve check. It took me a couple of hours and I was taking my time and that includes taking the fairings off etc. Just follow the steps in the service manual. Adjustment I’d leave that to the pros, but checking is pretty easy if you wrench at all.

That’s a nice clean bike! Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
LOL Thanks for the reply. Holeshot? It is a StainTune that came with it when I purchased it. It had a baffle, but I misplaced it. I like the sound.

EDIT: Also, while I have your attention, should the sightglass have no oil in it while the engine is running? I tried to fill it as close to the fill line as possible Sunday when I changed the oil. I realize some goes in the oil filter, bringing the level down.
OK so I was close on the can >:)

You are overthinking the whole thing, just ride it. They are difficult to damage. But get the valve check done, there is a reason its scheduled for 15k. Some are out of spec and if run with too low clearance you can damage the valves/ seats. HOWEVER I can't remember having read here that someone actinically did have burned up valves.

Oil change with filter: I am sure you re-checked the oil level with the bike being level after it had run and built normal oil pressure to make sure the level is correct after the filter was filled ?? Whilst running the oil is being dispersed in the engine, so you won't see it in the crankcase check glass. Hence you need to wait a good while to check the oil level to make sure it had time to collect in the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It sounds pretty normal to me as well. However, you did say you noticed it after an oil change, and I've experienced the engine ticking after an oil change a few times, when I the haven't added enough oil. Even if the level looks good right after a change, once started the filter absorbs oil and can lower the overall level. I always recheck the level after running the engine for a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
Lets don't allow this to become an "oil topic conversation", but I will just say that the WORST OIL I have ever used in 2 different motorcycles is SCAMSOIL. Both the shifting and mechanical noise became terrible, this is in a Kawasaki Concours 14 and a 2006 V-Strom 1000. I do have to wonder if perhaps it isn't filled with enough oil, did you fill up to the top line, and was it done/checked on centerstand or holding bike up straight? No question that your valves need checked, especially if the history of such is unknown. I will say that the mechanical noise sounds a bit louder than the norm to me, but the first gen 650's have more mechanical noise than the 12-current engines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Didn't hear anything amiss with that motor. Definitely get the valve clearance done soon with 26,000 miles on the odo.

I am curious about the mention of a possible loose primary chain on one of the comments above. I didn't know that this motor had a chain primary drive ?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Didn't hear anything amiss with that motor. Definitely get the valve clearance done soon with 26,000 miles on the odo.

I am curious about the mention of a possible loose primary chain on one of the comments above. I didn't know that this motor had a chain primary drive ?
It doesn't. I think they might have meant cam chain which was my first guess for the source of the noise.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
.... Maybe because you were holding your phone close to the crankcase, but to me it sounded like a worn/loose primary chain. With the phone nearer the head(s) it sounded like an arcing spark plug wire, but I would have expected a rougher idle. So chalk it up to greatly amplified and localized normal sound, and enjoy your bike.
No, Motorpsychology, you misheard. Its the blinkerfluid pump being close to death. They always sound like a can of marbles when they go! >:)>:)>:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts