StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the EFI problem is rider induced. I ride my bike very spirited. So my bikes computer learns that it should be ready to richen the mixture cause it knows my driving habits. OTOH, a person that babies their DL and drives it like an Old Lady in a Land yacht. Their bike thinks, hey I can lean this baby out; I don’t need to make power. So when the Old lady gets frisky and want to give it some power the bike is not ready for this unusual condition.. I don’t have any stumbling with my bike. (An 03 model) Now if I stupidly let the RPMs drop below 2000 In 6th gear and give it a big twist, it will bog down, but that’s not a stumble, that’s because the bike is in the wrong gear… I think many folks are confusing this with stumbling. Go get out your bicycle, put it in top gear, and now try to climb the next big hill. Your body is still making the same power, however its not being effectively used.. Anyway just an off the wall hypothesis…

·
Registered
108 Posts
The lean condition at 3200 RPM's or so is very real. You don't get a "grinding" sensation whilst rolling through that point? It really doesn't bother me anymore, but my dealer will replace the ECU next week or so....we'll see what happens!

Bike is delivered too lean, as Suzuki must meet EPA stuff.

·
Registered
303 Posts
there have been several threads about the system's ability to "learn". common wisdom so far is that it can't, or won't, or doesn't. i understand what you're getting at, but from all i've heard, the problem is an improper set-up from the factory. i think maybe "learning" is a sixth generation ability (should roll-out on the '08's.)

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
NOT RIDER INDUCED!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
There's no active feedback to the ECU for it to learn anything. This might have changed with the '07 and it's catalyzer but I haven't seen anything yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
V Strom Lean

I own a K7 and by looking at the pipe it is running very lean. In less than 400 miles it is a "golden brown" the aft cylinder exhaust looks as though it will melt soon as it is a crispy "toast and black". I will report after first service.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The EFI issue is an old one for Suzuki. Early FI Gixxers and Busa's have it FWIW.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i am curious

all of you that have the FI problem, what RPM range do you "Normally" hang out in.?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lean

Since my DL is new I attempt not to hang out at any RPM however it has yet to exceed 6K (392 Mi Since 08/01/06 Getting to be a trusty steed)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well

i was just wondering as mind seldom drops below 3500... from 3500 to about 6000 the thing pulls like a freight train. I wonder if folks are driving this thing like a Cruiser V twin and simply lugging it to much..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: well

Swedge said:
i was just wondering as mind seldom drops below 3500... from 3500 to about 6000 the thing pulls like a freight train. I wonder if folks are driving this thing like a Cruiser V twin and simply lugging it to much..
Nah, I buzz at around 5K generally (sweet spot) but any time I venture close to 4000, or if I have a passenger, the stumbling starts. It seems to get worse the more load the bike's under, and mostly seems to live at the 4500 range. If yours doesn't have it, consider yourself fortunate. It's most assuredly not rider induced: Very much a break in the engine's normally smooth running pattern.

Further evidence that it's a computer problem: It doesn't happen at all in 4th gear up and very infrequently in 3rd. If it was behaving like a carb (same "map" in every gear) it would behave the same in any gear in those sub 4500 rpms.

On top of that, the feel of it is unmistakably the engine cutting out under you. I know the difference between lugging (done that on the strom) and cutting out, special thanks to my POS first bike. This is definitely cutting out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yow

so it mainly happens in SECOND gear? I am forced to ride in second gear for a fairly long stretch of 30 MPH road, when the road goes back up to 55 I have a really hard time keeping the front tire on the ground. Anyway all the trolling around in 2nd keeps the RPMS way above 3500 even when doing 30 MPH. The cool thing in second is that I can actually hear the engine when I accelerate and decelerate, Its sounds cool, normally the wind noise over rides the engine noise. Now back to this stutter problem. If I am at 30 MPH, shift into 5th and give it some gas it will buck like heck!!! Down shift a gear or two, and Wam the front tire is pointing at the sky! Now my XR, very different bike, and its has a carb, performs exactly the same way!!! Except not nearly as strong or as quick, FI has a much faster response time then carbs. However if I am tooling around in the wrong gear and give it a huge throttle twist it will let me know I am in the wrong gear!!! I just can’t help but wonder if some folks are simply driving the bike like a Harley? Or any of the Harley clones. Ok how many folks have the FI glitch that transferred from riding a metric sport bike? Sport bikes NEED to be revved even more then the DL. However Harley like V twins can loaf around in the wrong gear with out any problems, Ever drive a TRACTER? It’s the same thing.. Just trying to think outside the box. Maybe I am blessed, i just find that hard to believe as if it was a computer problem how come it’s not on ALL bikes? Computers are ALL pretty much the same unless they stopped the production line JUST for a few select bikes including mine to fix the FI problem ?; however as humans we are ALL different and ride differently. If I had to choose which is the more variable component on the DL the FI computer or its rider I would pick the rider every time!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pretty sure it's not rider induced. Pretty sure mine and others were (mostly) cured by a replacement ECM or Power Commander or Tosh, etc. Rider didn't change, ECM did.

Re variability, not sure any K3 models have the problem (can't remember) and there were lots of changes for K4. In K4 and later, my suspicion is that there is enough variability in the engine itself from bike to bike that the effects of a very critical ECM setting varies. On my bike, the outside temperature made a big difference--no problems in the cold.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well

During our heat wave of a week in the 100s I still didn’t have any problems. i guess i am just lucky, although I still don’t believe it. Today I purposely tried to keep it in the 3500 RPM range to try to induce that stutter, no luck.. Although really anybody that spends time in that RPM zone IS too low RPM wise… Normally my bike might spend a few nano-seconds in that range while I blast through the gears. Or occasionally I am in 6th and have to slow down below 55, then the RPM drops to that range, but a quick down shift is all that is needed to keep the bike on top of the power curve. Anyway like I said just trying to find ANUTHR cheaper solution to the FI stutter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts