StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to find a dealer near home who let me take a DL 1000 out for a stroll yesterday.

I really liked the bike, but presently ride a kawi concours and am used to the wind protection of a large rifle windshield.

Could I love this bike with a +12 Cee Bailey? Anybody out there with a similar C.B. and experience with a concours? Also anybody with suzuki hardbags care to offer a comparison?

p.s.- great mid-range stonk on the strom

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am running a cee bailey 10 over. alittle turblance at top of helmet.
I am 6' If i duck a little the turblance is gone.
The 12 over should work fine but you will be looking through the shield.
I have owned a concours / a little more protection / also more heat in warm weather.
The Suzuki bags are made by Kappa / the hardware by a German Co.
If you damage one you must buy all 3
(Kappa is owned bi Givi) If you need anything for a Givi they will
sell individually.
I got a set of E21 Givi bags for $325 free shiping from
Cyclestuffusa.com $160 for bags $165 for hardware

·
Registered
45 Posts
I owned a 95 Concours and now have a 03 V Strom. I doubt if you're ever going to get the same wind protection on the V Strom as you did with the Concours. I have the Suzuki hard luggage on my V Strom now. Carries a lot more than the Concours luggage but not as easy to operate and is very wide. I usually only use the top box and put on the side luggage for long trips. I had the shortest Cee Bailey on my V Strom and it was terrible. Can't comment on taller Cee Bailey. Overall V Strom is much better bike than Concours. Lighter, better handling, more comfortable, no vibration, stronger engine.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bliz,

My last bike was a '95 Concours too. Bought it used in '97 with 3000 miles on it. Prior owner had added a Rifle windscreen, GenMar handlebar risers, Corbin seat, Givi trunk, tank bra, windwings - I was good to go!
Rode it for 6 years, 66000 miles, and only lost about $2000 on it when I resold it. No regrets, it was a very good bike.

I agree that the V-Strom is more grins. I prefer the v-twin engine with great gobs of torque as well as decent horsepower. I added Remus exhaust cannisters which give it a more entertaining sound and also boosted both HP and torque (about 10% max on both). Like you, I ride without the side cases on most of the time - I have a tank bag, which supplements the tail trunk anyway. I do have the tallest Cee Bailey windscreen. Not the prettiest thing, but it works. Also have a Corbin seat and the Suzuki centerstand. The only thing I really miss is the shaft drive.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrDean,

I run the Cee Bailey 12 inch over screen on my V-Strom. I am 6'6" tall, and can easily look over it. It took care of the helmet buffeting - overall I don't get as much wind protection as I did on my Concours with the Rifle windscreen.

If I had it to do over, I'd buy the Givi bags and trunk instead of the Suzuki/Kappa set. I'd get a bigger tail trunk, and narrower side bags. On my other ride, I have a Givi E52 trunk and I like it a lot - I'd probably put an E52 trunk and E21 sidecases on the Strom. The color matched Suzuki/Kappa stuff is pretty, but the Givi stuff is slightly better quality, and you can select from different luggage models & sizes.

Oh - and buy some chain lube... :twisted:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Givi E460 trunk and E21 side cases on my 'Strom using the OEM luggage mounting hardware. It's a nice rack and is obviously compatible with all Givi Monokey cases.

The E21 cases are a lot narrower and conveniently open at the top so getting stuff out of them when mounted on the bike is a breeze. With the top open, the lid makes a great tray for holding small parts while I'm working on the bike. When solo touring, I to use the E21's with a RevPack Jr. Tour Pack straddling the passenger seat. It serves double duty as a back rest.

For two-up touring, a pair of E360 cases replaces the E21s. With those fat-boys mounted, the 'Strom's butt-end is about as wide as a Honda Gold Wing-A-Bago's so it's definitely NOT as good at the E21 set up for daily use.

Givi doesn't gouge you for replacement parts an like everyone else seems to. A replacement bottom (which is most of the case) for an E21 case runs less than $40. The E21 cases can be had for less than $160 a pair, less than half the cost of the pair of E360 cases.

I have a Cee Bailey's 12+ windshield en route and should arrive by Wednesday. Once it's mounted, I'll update this post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts