StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends! My new to me Glee has leaky fork seals, and when I took my Sealmate to them today, it hung up on something big under the dust seal. As I pulled it out, it looked like a large chunk of cotton or some other similar substance. Is this normal? Do these fork seals use something similar, or did a previous owner perhaps try a trick to stop the leaking? I was very confused, as I've never seen anything like it before. I ended up ruining my tool trying to remove the chunk of stuff.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Not OEM. It sounds like the seller did it to disguise the problem.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking, Pat. I've ordered new seals and some new fork oil for good measure.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Look Black Labs cover on how to do the job. It is a great illustrated guide and takes some of the mystery out of the task.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Just a comment, if there's more than 60,000k's on the bike the internal bearing surfaces need replacing as well. Pig of a job :), but if you have the forks apart anyway you may as well do the sliders as well.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My honda v65 sabre had felt washers under the rubber dust seal, stock. I don't think that's stock on the vstrom, however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts