StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Being a Costa Rican myself and owner of a travel agency specialized in CR, I figured I could be of some help to the community regarding this beautiful destination.
Also, I spend summers down there, so maybe I can give you a hand if you need it, go for a ride, show you cool places... I don't know. Let's talk!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice!

Im headed that way in August for 17 days! we gotta get some beers!

Im not sure if the doc will let me ride yet but I planned the trip so that there is a chance. Anyhow. I would love to hook up and bench race.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Costa Rica en Verano! Que bueno

Hey Mcandrews,
I will be heading back down to Atenas at the end of December. Where do you stay when you go down. I am guessing that you go down in the Costa Rican summer?

We share some hobbies. Bike riding, beer drinking and MMA.

I have a 96' Transalp in Costa RIca, let's go riding!! I'm always looking for new places to explore.

Sincerely, Traveler137

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm heading down next March for a few weeks. Any must do suggestions or general travel advice about the country?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was going to take a big trip down there last Summer. I was on a team to set up a solar energy facility for Weber State University. I told the rest of the team I would meet them there, as I was going to ride my bike!

Unfortunately, the professor in charge passed on before then. Since the property was privately owned by him, the project fell through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that was some lame help, wasn't it???!!!!

After months of not reading the thread I realize people actually asked for advice...

It must be my settings...or I'm just a little slow!
I thought if someone posted here I would get an instant email or something and that wasn't the case. :furious:
I'm subscribed to the thread now... duh!

My apologies to all.

Alright folks let's do this!!!!

I'm not always in CR, but I'm dedicated to my company 100% so, ask away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm heading down next March for a few weeks. Any must do suggestions or general travel advice about the country?
Sure thing!

in terms of general advice, I have a few suggestions:

-don't go to Fortuna if you don't have to. it's a tourist trap, all artificial, nothing like it used to be; though March is actually one of the few good months to see the volcano, so I'd say one night tops. go to Ecotermales hot springs (avoid the big name companies) the night you arrive to the area and do the zip lines in the morning, just before going elsewhere.

-Do go to Sarapiqui. Hacienda La Isla, Pozo Azul and Sarapiquis Lodge are wonderful options. White water rafting there is a +.

-Orosi valley for a tranquil, real Costa Rica experience. Beautiful valley, wonderful ruins, visit Tapanti National Park for a hike. (Lovely, peaceful place). Sanchiri Lodge is about the only place to stay there, but can't go wrong with the Mata brothers. Tell them hi for me!

-Go to any beach in the South. Anything south of Quepos. Avoid Manuel Antonio (if you don't like touristy beach towns, if you do, go there)

Anything else let me know!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Mcandrews,
I will be heading back down to Atenas at the end of December. Where do you stay when you go down. I am guessing that you go down in the Costa Rican summer?

We share some hobbies. Bike riding, beer drinking and MMA.

I have a 96' Transalp in Costa RIca, let's go riding!! I'm always looking for new places to explore.

Sincerely, Traveler137
Sorry I didn't see your post on time brother!

I'm actually in CR for the north summer months... ain't that backwards!

my wife's a teacher here in the US, so June, July, and August is the only time we have to go there. I sometimes go in Dec/ Jan but its always crazy time for me.

What's your relationship with Atenas? My wife lived there a few years back and although it's very nice there I wouldn't expect to hear a visitor talk about it. 'cause you're not a Tico are ya?

We'll ride next time man. Cheers!

PS: I have some sweet places to go riding... look at my pic... tell me what you think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to take a big trip down there last Summer. I was on a team to set up a solar energy facility for Weber State University. I told the rest of the team I would meet them there, as I was going to ride my bike!

Unfortunately, the professor in charge passed on before then. Since the property was privately owned by him, the project fell through.
I'm sorry about what happened man.

Is that what you do for a living? You work with solar power? My house in CR is environmentally friendly, well, as most as we could. We would like to use solar power once costs are not so huge!

·
Registered
30 Posts
CR

Been going to Central Amercia (CR, Nicaragua, El Salvator) on surfing trips for 18 years. I usally go to CR at least twice each year and have been up down and accross many times, a couple of times on motocycle. San Jose can be scary in traffic on a bike. I am always amazed when I see two or three people on a 125cc to 250cc bike in the middle of trucks, busses, and cars, and in the mid-day rain, running along wide open with smiles on their faces.

Beautiful country, friendly people, and inexpensive living (although not as cheap as it was back in the day) One of my favorite destinations.

Three years until both kids are out of college.............then I plan on living the expat life surfing and riding in CR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heading down to Costa Rica this coming March

I hope 18 days will enough to explore a good piece of what Costa has to offer. I looked in a bike rental/touring outfit call Wild Rider in San Jose. It looks like they are just what I'm looking for. Is there any must do's that you can recommend while I'm there? If anyone else thinks they too will have a bad case of the winter blues and want to join me, just give me a shout. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Someday

Have an old friend who has a winter home in CR. Way up in the mountains to hell and gone from all the tourist crap. He keeps encouraging me to come for a visit. If I ever do I'll ride there from El Norte. It's what we do, right?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I thought the winter months were the time to hit the south,,
Like Nov, Dec, Jan I will be coming up from Mexico,,, One of these days..
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts