StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a CORTECH 18L Tank Bag for my DL650 and love it. Only one thing wrong as I see it: The hydration tube PORT and the retaining clip are on the THROTTLE side (right, of course). Makes a whole lot more sense to retain and access it from the left side.....huh?

Other than that I think it's a pretty well designed bag with several great features. I had bought a Suzuki bag and no sooner placed it on the tank, and I knew it just wasn't going to work.......so all in all, I'm pleased. And not meant as a plug, but my buying experience at Revzilla was as good as Cycle Gear. No problems, no issues. Just FYI :thumbup:

·
Registered
359 Posts
You could look at it as a safety thing. If you are stopped it's not a big deal what size it is.

I had a 12 Liter version and just recently bought the 18 Liter. I just got back from my first trip using it and I loved the extra capacity. The ability to unzip it and make it taller really came in handy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You could look at it as a safety thing. If you are stopped it's not a big deal what size it is.

I had a 12 Liter version and just recently bought the 18 Liter. I just got back from my first trip using it and I loved the extra capacity. The ability to unzip it and make it taller really came in handy.
I have been searching everywhere to find out if the cortech super 2.0 18 Litre will fit nicely on my 2018 DL1000 XT. I have seen videos with the 12 litre but not the 18. The tank on the strom drops off rapidly and the top is quite small. How well did it fit? Did you use the strap mount? Did it interfere with the bars or switch gear? It’s an old thread but hopefully you can give me some advice.

·
Administrator
17,542 Posts
I have been searching everywhere to find out if the cortech super 2.0 18 Litre will fit nicely on my 2018 DL1000 XT. I have seen videos with the 12 litre but not the 18. The tank on the strom drops off rapidly and the top is quite small. How well did it fit? Did you use the strap mount? Did it interfere with the bars or switch gear? It’s an old thread but hopefully you can give me some advice.
Look at the tank lock bags from Givi and Motech instead, then you won't have to worry about a bag being able to mount or not. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look at the tank lock bags from Givi and Motech instead, then you won't have to worry about a bag being able to mount or not. :)
I did a little looking at those brands but for some reason if I get the sw motech city I can’t get the tank lock ring in Canada. No idea why. Must be licensing agreements or something. I looked at some of the Givi bags but it seemed only the small bags were tanklock. I would like a tank lock but they are expensive. What has me interested in the cortech 18l is the price and features. Lots of space, expandable. Has a spare visor pouch, a water bladder pouch and a map pocket that you can use your phone through it. And all for $150. With the cortech I don’t need a phone mount or a camel back. Unfortunately it’s not tank lock. I am definitely open to suggestions though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a cortech bag, perhaps even the 18L. It's a magnetic mount model with wings on it. Fit fine on my ninja 250 but there's not a lot of exposed metal on my 2013 dl650a, especially not for wings. On there I keep the flaps folded up and I also hot glued a 3.5" hard drive magnet into the inside of the backpack strap storage part. I should take a shot at trying to glue another one in by the buckle part as anything heavy like a water bottle can cause the bag to slide around a bit too much.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I did a little looking at those brands but for some reason if I get the sw motech city I can’t get the tank lock ring in Canada. No idea why. Must be licensing agreements or something. I looked at some of the Givi bags but it seemed only the small bags were tanklock. I would like a tank lock but they are expensive. What has me interested in the cortech 18l is the price and features. Lots of space, expandable. Has a spare visor pouch, a water bladder pouch and a map pocket that you can use your phone through it. And all for $150. With the cortech I don’t need a phone mount or a camel back. Unfortunately it’s not tank lock. I am definitely open to suggestions though.
[/QUOTE
Ring mount bags do tend to be more expensive than strap- or magnetic-mount bags, but the convenience and fit is better in most cases. I had a perfectly good Tourmaster 18L tank bag I bought the year before I traded in my ZX11 for the V-strom, but because of the shape of the tank and the plastic cladding, the magnet "wings" didn't make sufficient contact with the contours on the upper part of the tank, and mounted low by the seat was too awkward. I got a 20L Givi Tanklock expandable bag which I'm thoroughly happy with. Givis run 5L up to 26L in the TankLock series. Not all retailers carry the full line. Mine has a safety tether which loops around the steering stem- handy at fill-ups as I can release the bag from its mount and let it dangle off to the side. I carry a water bottle for hydration.
Here's a link to tank bags at AdventureTech, a sponsor of this forum and major contributor. I don't know about shipping to the Great White North, but I'm sure Rick can work with you:
If you haven't already, look on StromTrooper Marketplace, might find a used bag that will work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
@ToontownTim, I don't know if my initial response came thru properly, it came out as part of your original post, so here it is again:

Ring mount bags do tend to be more expensive than strap- or magnetic-mount bags, but the convenience and fit is better in most cases. I had a perfectly good Tourmaster 18L tank bag I bought the year before I traded in my ZX11 for the V-strom, but because of the shape of the tank and the plastic cladding, the magnet "wings" didn't make sufficient contact with the contours on the upper part of the tank, and mounted low by the seat was too awkward. I got a 20L Givi Tanklock expandable bag which I'm thoroughly happy with. Givis run 5L up to 26L in the TankLock series. Not all retailers carry the full line. Mine has a safety tether which loops around the steering stem- handy at fill-ups as I can release the bag from its mount and let it dangle off to the side. I carry a water bottle for hydration.
Here's a link to tank bags at AdventureTech, a sponsor of this forum and major contributor. I don't know about shipping to the Great White North, but I'm sure Rick can work with you:
You might also look in StromTrooper Marketplace, might be a used bag that will work.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you for the response but I didn’t hear anything for a couple days so I went ahead and ordered the cortech. I found that most people strongly prefer a tanklock bag. I don’t know what’s wrong with Canada but I had nothing but trouble trying to get one. If I tried Canada dealer, I could find the bags but not the ring for the Vee, if I tried out of the USA I could find everything I needed but it said the wouldn’t ship to Canada. Not that they didn’t ship to Canada but that they couldn’t ship that specific product to Canada. ?Other reasons for the decision were the features of the cortech are better than the competition in my mind. Comes with everything a Givi or Motech does but has an organizer inside the lid that holds pens,keys and a couple other little pockets. It comes with a pouch to put a spare visor in, a pouch for a water bladder and a hole for the water tube, a separate pouch that fits glasses. I also really like that it has backpack straps built in. I really wish they had this cortech bag with a tanklock cause I’m sure everyone is right that the convenience of the tanklock is really nice. I will let everyone know how it fits in a week or so.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good to go, Tim. Curious, did you get the magnetic or strap-on?
I wonder if the lack of ring mount systems fall under some obscure Canadian law prohibiting modifying fuel filler components?:unsure:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good to go, Tim. Curious, did you get the magnetic or strap-on?
I wonder if the lack of ring mount systems fall under some obscure Canadian law prohibiting modifying fuel filler components?:unsure:
I am guessing but for the SW motech city bag, I believe that the Suzuki bag is just a rebranded one of those. Maybe Suzuki Canada got exclusive rights to it. Just a guess. Not a known fact. And yes I did get the strap on version. Ryan F9 has a video of the 12 litre bag on his 2014 Vee. The 18 litre is only 2 inches longer than the 12 litre so I believe it will work out. I won’t know for sure until I try it.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
This is sort of off-the-subject, but I have an older (2007) Cortech 18 liter tank bag that "shouldn't" fit, but really does. I use it all the time. It is NOT the new 2.0 model. The magnetic flaps fit over the tank bra, but still hold well. I love it because it has hidden shoulder straps that turn it into a backpack. If you could find a cheap one used somewhere, you might find it works for you. Picture below:

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is sort of off-the-subject, but I have an older (2007) Cortech 18 liter tank bag that "shouldn't" fit, but really does. I use it all the time. It is NOT the new 2.0 model. The magnetic flaps fit over the tank bra, but still hold well. I love it because it has hidden shoulder straps that turn it into a backpack. If you could find a cheap one used somewhere, you might find it works for you. Picture below:
Well thanks. That gives me some hope that I made the right decision cause I already ordered it. It was get a bag that was tanklock. Or get a bag that was loaded with great features but not tanklock. And I also really want the backpack straps. I did go with the strap mount though. Hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So??... How does it fit?
I'm on the lookout for one too and I'm also leaning towards the Coretech 18.
I have an dl650 '07 but the fit shouldn't be much different
Unfortunately I didn’t like the fit at all. It just wasn’t very secure. I was going to add a couple extra straps on the side but it would still have wiggled around and scuffed the tank up. I ended up spending the money and getting the tanklock bag. In the end all I did was
Spend more money and buy 2 of them. As for the cortech bag, it is very nice. I still think it is a much nicer bag with a lot more features than any tanklock bag I know of. But the tanklock is just so much nicer to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts