1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
104 Posts
Powerlet make great products, but I'd also check out easternbeaver.com. Nice custom kits for the Stroms.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
You won't be able to put SAE plugs into powerlet jacks without an adapter, all of which is more expensive than the option I chose.

I chose to use Casco SAE plugs purchased at Wal-mart (or perhaps Radio Shack) powered by a keyed fuse accessory kit not unlike those sold at Eastern Beaver. MUCH cheaper than the Powerlet with adapter route mentioned above. Of course, you always need to match the plug of the item you choose to power with socket you need on the bike. So far, I've found a way to use cigarette plugs on all the items I need to power on my bike.

You'll hear many people claim that the standard SAE automotive style cigarette plugs won't hold the cigarette plug on a bike and will vibrate loose, but this has not been my experience at all. While I ride primarily on the road, I know others who have ridden in rougher terrain on different bikes and also had good results with cigarette plugs. I know they'll probably be many people who disagree with this idea, but this has been my experience.

Whatever you choose to do, you've got some research to do to learn how to wire the kit on the bike, because without the kit to shut off power to the power outlets when the key is turned off, you run the risk of running down the battery. The power needs to be fused as well which is the other purpose of the kit.

You can find lots of good technical information here, but you may have to do some digging.

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Keep in mind that normally there is a resistor built into your cigarette light cord for your item to keep your phone, etc from getting a full 12 volts.

Unless you use the adapter for the powerlet you will lose this feature if you choose to just cut off the cigarette lighter end and replace it with a powerlet one.

I too just use the cigarette lighter plugs although I got the little dash plate from Richland Rick over at VSRI to mount it in. If I'm worried about it vibrating out I just strap one of those little bungies over the plug to keep it in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts