StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Colorado/Imogene Pass Rd

I'm riding thru Colorado the 2nd week of Aug. I want to take Imogene/Tomboy from Ouray to Telluride. Is this doable on a DL650 two up? Google maps shows a few washouts. Anyone want to join in if it's open and clear?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It's a very scenic, gravelly, rocky, bumpy one lane ish route that's very doable two up if you have off road experience. Check with local jeep/4x4 forums for current road conditions. It's a Pretty cool but rocky bypass as I remember

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The "road" is very rough in places and rough the rest of the time. Very rough means there are thousands of larger, jagged rocks partly buried or not, that you have to ride over. Did I mention the 500' dropoff on the smooth side of the road? If I was the passenger, I'd bail and walk it. I crashed my KTM 450 above Telluride a few years ago due to extreme fatigue and rough going. I saw a few men on Adventure Bikes. Mostly stopped and panting. It's 10,000-13,000 feet up there. What I'm trying to say is not to do it two-up. If you are tall and strong, go for it on your own. PS: I'm not kidding about the drop-offs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Although the desire is there, I will heed your advise and chose a different route. No napping Wee's on this trip.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I rode up there last Fall on my WR250, AMAZING route. Most of the road is hard packed, until you start to get up high where it turns to loose rock and gravel. I would do it on my Wee with the right tires (don't think I'd do it 2 up though).

You can always ride up from either side and turn around when you decide it's getting too hairy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts