StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not asking about the merits of cornering ABS but I have an engineering question. The 2018 DL1000 has cornering ABS which is managed by a Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU). Would lowering the new DL1000 using a lowering link and by adjusting the front forks in the triple clamp impact the IMU and compromise the safety benefits of the technology?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I am not asking about the merits of cornering ABS but I have an engineering question. The 2018 DL1000 has cornering ABS which is managed by a Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU). Would lowering the new DL1000 using a lowering link and by adjusting the front forks in the triple clamp impact the IMU and compromise the safety benefits of the technology?

I wouldn't think so. The ABS is measuring lean angle, ride height wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm curious how intrusive it is in corners. Aggressive trail braking going to work? Or will the ABS say nope?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The ABS is measuring lean angle, ride height wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm curious how intrusive it is in corners. Aggressive trail braking going to work? Or will the ABS say nope?
Interesting question. Like most folks I don't really know the answer. But I agree that it would not matter if you lowered it.
Has anyone else noticed an absence of any real magazine testing leaning ABS systems on street bikes? :wink2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't had my new DL1000 delivered yet, but I have had over 30,000 km's experience of riding a bike with this technology fitted. My 2017 Triumph Tiger XCA had this feature and combined with the semi active WP suspension was a revelation. I like to play hard with the sports bikes up here in the Adelaide Hills, and when running 50/50 tyres, the bike tended to squirm a lot when pushing the boundaries of the tyres intended use.

I found the system (on the Triumph) to be very un-intrusive, but you could feel it working very quietly in the background.

I am hoping the Strom's system is as good.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts